Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1982 Topps Blackless, a Big Adventure.

Bullseye45Bullseye45 Posts: 29 ✭✭

I always like the 1982 Topps set style, but the only detail dont like is a little saturated in black ink with autograph and borderline around the player picture. i always imagine how see this card without black autograph and borderline, but not will be real, because all production was made with both atributes. in january 2019, i discovered by accident this absolute Rarest and legitimate variation 1982 topps Blackless, 396 of 792 cards without black signature and black border around the player picture, classified by A,B and C Sheet. the most interesting thing about this cards, are lot more beautiful than the regular and ones are easy to find, others very Impossible, in special B's and C's. this set is my favorite of the 80's. apparently, the quantity of cards are very limited A-100 or less, B-50 or less, C-20 or less of each card in True Pure Blackless. this cards was found in long island,NY(A and B sheet), and Michigan(C Sheet) in cello packs. cards like Jim palmer, Mike Schmidt,Ozzie smith, Nolan Ryan, Johnny Bench, Rickey henderson, Alan Trammel, Jack Morris, Lou Whitaker, Bill Buckner, Don Baylor, Rollie Finger, George brett, Reggie Jackson, Don Sutton,Steve Carlton, willie stargell and Pete Rose are the most wanted by collectors. ones more easy, other lot impossible. collect this 1982 Topps Blackless cards is a True Adventure and challenge to find, because is possible you buy a Vending box and dont find one of this Blackless.

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't own this, but I spotted it on Ebay. Oh hell yeah.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I don't own this, but I spotted it on Ebay. Oh hell yeah.

Yes, Dave kingman card is Great!

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the Kirk Gibson also.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I like the Kirk Gibson also.

This card is very tough to find centered, because sheet position,same gaylord perry and Phil Niekro.

• Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 9, 2019 9:04PM

Here's my 1982 Topps Blackless Steve Garvey. The flip doesn't indicate which variety though. Maybe you can shed some light on it for me.

• Options
    edited December 10, 2019 7:17AM

@stevegarveyfan said:
    Here's my 1982 Topps Blackless Steve Garvey. The flip doesn't indicate which variety though. Maybe you can shed some light on it for me.

Apparently garvey is "easy" to find because is A sheet and are 100 or less but i dont think the same. The Blackless are very hard to find and very tough to find in mint or gem mint condition. The Garvey and Pedro Guerrero Blackless cards are in my wish list of LA Dodgers.
    The B sheet like Palmer, Nolan Ryan and steve carlton are very tough to find; C sheet, like Lou Whitaker, Jack Morris, Alan Trammel, Johnny Bench,Rickey Henderson, Bill Buckner, Don Baylor, Willie Randolph A's are Impossible to Find.

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are beautiful cards. And I've just now realized why I don't like the 82 Topps design: the autographs. Without them, I'm perfectly happy with the design.

Andy

• Options
    edited December 10, 2019 10:33AM

@ahopkins said:
    Those are beautiful cards. And I've just now realized why I don't like the 82 Topps design: the autographs. Without them, I'm perfectly happy with the design.

Yes, very saturated. The blackless are beautiful cards.

• Options
    edited December 10, 2019 10:46AM

Jim Palmer In action-Blackless(From C sheet)example, no black border around player picture:

Other example is Willie Randolph All-Star Blackless(From C Sheet), missing name on front of card and no black line around the player picture:

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love that Willie Randolph, so tough to find, been on my wantlist for years.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options

@Kid4hof03 said:

Yes, is a very Difficult and impossible card to Find, like a Lot!

• Options

@Bullseye45 said:

@Kid4hof03 said:

It's a tough one, I know of a handful but they are in collections.

• Options

@Kid4hof03 said:

@Bullseye45 said:

@Kid4hof03 said:

This Randolph, Brett As,Dent A's, Carter A's and valenzuela A's are very tough and are nicest cards.

• Options

@Bullseye45 said:

@Kid4hof03 said:

@Bullseye45 said:

@Kid4hof03 said:

This Randolph, Brett As,Dent A's, Carter A's and valenzuela A's are very tough and are nicest cards.

I have never thought of the Carter All Star as being tough, I have a couple and feel like I've seen them much more often then some of the others you listed.

• Options

@Kid4hof03 said:

@Bullseye45 said:

@Kid4hof03 said:

@Bullseye45 said:

@Kid4hof03 said:

I have never thought of the Carter All Star as being tough, I have a couple and feel like I've seen them much more often then some of the others you listed.

I never see one in ebay for sale, between january and December of this year. I dont have Gary Carter A's, only the regular blackless.

• Options

@Bullseye45 said:

@Kid4hof03 said:

@Bullseye45 said:

@Kid4hof03 said:

@Bullseye45 said:

@Kid4hof03 said:

I never see one in ebay for sale, between january and December of this year. I dont have Gary Carter A's, only the regular blackless.

I'll try to scan mine over the next couple of days

• Options

@Kid4hof03 said:

@Bullseye45 said:

@Kid4hof03 said:

@Bullseye45 said:

@Kid4hof03 said:

@Bullseye45 said:

@Kid4hof03 said:

I'll try to scan mine over the next couple of days

How much carter A's blackless you have?

• Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

very rare!

• Options

@artee said:
    very rare!

Are the new blackless edition, think of topps archives set. The 1982 are very rarest!!!

• Options

Glad to hear there is a strong market for this Randolph card! Here is my copy. I actually was planning on posting it on EBay in the coming weeks. I'll update this thread when I post the auction.

I received this card amongst a bunch of others when I purchased a lot of 82's many years ago. It was an amazing find, there were maybe 30 of them, most of them All Star cards. Then years later I sold a few '82 lots....and inadvertently included the blackless cards in them. Still think about it, it was the dumbest thing I've done in the hobby (and that's saying something...)

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2019 7:16AM

@murraybyrd said:

Glad to hear there is a strong market for this Randolph card! Here is my copy. I actually was planning on posting it on EBay in the coming weeks. I'll update this thread when I post the auction.

I received this card amongst a bunch of others when I purchased a lot of 82's many years ago. It was an amazing find, there were maybe 30 of them, most of them All Star cards. Then years later I sold a few '82 lots....and inadvertently included the blackless cards in them. Still think about it, it was the dumbest thing I've done in the hobby (and that's saying something...)

Awesome Randolph blackness/nameless!

Don’t sweat the goof. I dumped a full beer on a pile of minty ‘78 Topps raw

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

@murraybyrd said:

Beautiful card,like a lot this Randolph Card!!

• Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2019 2:30PM

@Bullseye45 said:

@artee said:
    very rare!

Are the new blackless edition, think of topps archives set. The 1982 are very rarest!!!

I wonder where ‘75 blackless falls on the rarity scale?

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am assuming the Ryan was hand cut?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    edited December 15, 2019 5:00PM

@artee said:

@Bullseye45 said:

@artee said:
    very rare!

I wonder where ‘75 blackless falls on the rarity scale?

Wooow, this is Ultra Rare and Big Gem Nolan Ryan Card ond one of the Noly Grails of 70's, like a lot this card,impressive!!
    I have 1982 Topps Ryan Blackless Version, is a Great card and the most expensive card of the set:

• Options

This card apparently is one of the most difficult to find in True Blackless:

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullseye45 said:

That is such an attractive card without the signature.

Andy

• Options

@ahopkins said:

@Bullseye45 said:

That is such an attractive card without the signature.

yes, like a lot better than the regular 82 Topps.

• Options
    bswhitenbswhiten Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

Just a teaser :)
    I will post more scans of my recent score later next week.
    Keep up the Big Adventure! 82 Blackless is one of, if not the coolest oddball set of the modern era imo.

• Options

@bswhiten said:
    Just a teaser :)
    I will post more scans of my recent score later next week.
    Keep up the Big Adventure! 82 Blackless is one of, if not the coolest oddball set of the modern era imo.

Wow,great finds, congratulations, enjoy this beautiful cards!!

• Options
    Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Were these cards available in certain packs/times, etc? And the blackless came before the regular versions of each card? I have a lot of 1982 Topps somewhere I assume, but wondering what the chances of finding any blackless are?

• Options

@bswhiten said:
    Pic of some of the “hits” :) As close to pack fresh as you can get!

Ben,Beautiful cards and Great Finds,enjoy Them. I only collect Blackless cards right now,i change ammo,Hammerli 208s and 1911 bullseye shooting for collect cards, a hobby i end in 2006,but in 2019 i return to collect thanks to Blackless Cards, enjoy collecting!!!

• Options

@Kep13 said:
    Were these cards available in certain packs/times, etc? And the blackless came before the regular versions of each card? I have a lot of 1982 Topps somewhere I assume, but wondering what the chances of finding any blackless are?

Cello Packs, the more scarcest are from C sheet.

• Options
    edited January 23, 2020 7:08PM

Other of my favorite cards of Blackless set, is the Bill Buckner Card (RIP)

• Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

Interested in Rod Carew blackless cards. PM me, if you have any.

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    azvikeazvike Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

@Bullseye45 said:

@stevegarveyfan said:

Apparently garvey is "easy" to find because is A sheet and are 100 or less but i dont think the same. The Blackless are very hard to find and very tough to find in mint or gem mint condition. The Garvey and Pedro Guerrero Blackless cards are in my wish list of LA Dodgers.
    The B sheet like Palmer, Nolan Ryan and steve carlton are very tough to find; C sheet, like Lou Whitaker, Jack Morris, Alan Trammel, Johnny Bench,Rickey Henderson, Bill Buckner, Don Baylor, Willie Randolph A's are Impossible to Find.

even the bar code is partial blackless!

• Options

Yes, I have dupes of Carew and others...

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome collection. Impressive set of rare cards. Any Johnny Bench extras let me know as I would love to add his card to my collection. Thanks for sharing.

• Options

M> @bswhiten said:

Yes, I have dupes of Carew and others...

They are tough cards, all Carews in one Package!!

• Options

@JBrules said:
    Awesome collection. Impressive set of rare cards. Any Johnny Bench extras let me know as I would love to add his card to my collection. Thanks for sharing.

Johnny Bench Blackless Card is a Very Hard To Find, lot of Collectors have the card in wish list for long years without sucess. I love my Blackless Bench!!

• Options

@bswhiten said:
    Nice mail this past week to complete my Blackless Set.
    Made a contact sheet of scanned HOF’s/Stars.
    Will no doubt take time to scan in the rest :)
    For a child collector from the 80’s, it doesn’t get much better imo!

You have a lot of cards to scan, incredible Collection!!!

• Options

Yea Bench is so tough to find in any condition....only have one of him.

Will definitely take my time scanning the rest :)

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

I started collecting in 78, but 82 was the year I really got into it. I remember ripping a pack right when they came out, and all the cards had different players on the back rather than the front. I actually thought it was the intended design and thought it was stupid. The next packs I opened were all correct, though, and I thought I had a fortune of error cards. Alas, my miscuts worth nothing while I never saw the true backless out in the wild. They are really cool though.

• Options

The 1982 Topps set is a Monster set, because have lot of variations, like color intensity on cards, blank backs, wrong backs, blueless and Blackless cards. I begin collecting cards in 1991, first basketball cards like jordan,etc. Next i prefer collecting baseball cards and always remember like a lot the 1982 Topps set design but the only thing i dont like was the saturate black ink in cards. I always say they will look better with less black ink. Two decades after i discover by accident the blackless variation and begin to collect again these amazing cards.

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭✭

i really like this post. the 82 topps cards look great. the set has been getting more attention from me. i might start a 1982 hall of fame psa graded psa 9 set.

• Options

@murraybyrd said:

Well, "coming weeks" turned into about nine months but I finally got around to posting the Randolph for sale:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293756625680?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649