Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Is this card too short in this BVG holder?

I know the top border is short but the bottom border seems to make up for it. Still it seems to be swimming in the holder, even left to right.

https://ebay.com/itm/712-NOLAN-RYAN-1970-topps-BVG-6-5-mets/153638457856

Daniel

Comments

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I'm not touching that card with a ten foot pole.

Arthur

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actullay I am now starting to think it's the holder: I just looked up "1970 Topps BVG" in eBay and all the cards look too small for the holder.

Daniel
  • LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

The BVG/BGS holders have the 'rails' inside placed further apart than PSA holders, LR looks completely normal. Without better scans, I still wouldn't touch it either.

edited September 17, 2019 10:27AM

Yeah, sorry, I should have expanded. I'm actually familiar with the BGS rails because I end up spending far more time than I care to admit squinting at them and comparing/measuring on Star basketball cards. They're a lot harder to eyeball because there is so much extra space naturally as compared to the PSA slabs. I think that card is short and I don't like the look of the top edge at all. Just my $0.02. I also tend to be more cautious than others so take that into account as well.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

Arthur

It's a bad copy/fax/printer/scanner all-in-one scan so it's tough to really get a good look at it. There's an actor's saying in the film industry: "you can take a chance on one of the following: the script, the director, or the role, but never more than one." This is sort of like that. We've got vintage superstar in a BGS slab with a cruddy scan. On the bright side though, it's a SCAN, which means we're getting a direct perspective on the card and this will help explain why I don't like the look of the top edge.

There are bad trimmers, okay trimmers, good trimmers, and great trimmers. A lot of it has to do with method. When a card is cut at the factory it's cut straight down, creating a 90 degree angle between the front surface and the edge. But when less-than-the-best trimmers trim cards by hand, they can't always maintain that directly perpendicular angle with the blade and the cuts can be made with the slightest of deviations. When you look at the edge directly from atop you can see slight imperfections where some of the surface was cut away when the edge was trimmed.

Obviously, this scan is pretty bad and if you held a gun to my head I wouldn't say that the card is trimmed but there's more than enough here on that top edge to make me steer completely clear from it. Just not worth the risk.

Arthur

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting! I will stay away from this card. One good thing about the 'recent hobby message boards' is it has made people like me question graded cards when I used to just assume they were good. Thanks for the replies!

Daniel