Home Sports Talk
Options

Do athlete's salaries affect your enjoyment of watching the sport?

thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or do they have no effect? For me, it is a complicated question, with much variance. I am interested in knowing if you felt changes in how you feel about sports as the years have gone on and salaries have increased. Any and all viewpoints should be interesting to read here.

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Feel a bit guilty watching the basketball tourney as the athletes are getting shafted. Would love to see them all boycott. CBS could rerun Heidi on final four weekend.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it’s absolutely ridiculous the stupid money that these guys get but I don’t let it effect the enjoyment I get out of watching sports. However I will not spend the money to go to games, nor do I buy any pay per view like NFL Red Zone or whatever is out there for MLB. I own several team logo shirts ie Patriots and Red Sox plus some ball caps but that is the extent of it. Overall I might talk about it here at CU but I really couldn’t care less about these guys, the poor work ethic annoys me more than the salaries do.

• Options
    HJP717HJP717 Posts: 76 ✭✭

I don’t watch much sports anymore. Huge salaries does not guarantee success in winning a championship trophy or ring.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn’t affect me. Not my money, don’t really care. I’d rather see the players get big contracts than the owners just pocket all of it. So if the money is there and it has to go somewhere, I guess I’d rather the players get it. The few Orioles games i go to a year, I generally buy tickets in the $20-40 range and i just don’t buy anything in the stadium. So the higher prices don’t really affect me either. I guess they would if I bought expensive tickets and food and drink at the game.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's stupid, but it's not my money.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just heard that these players will now have a limousine drive them from the dugout to the batter's box each time it's their turn at bat.

They may even have the limo driver bat for them if they're feeling a little bit tired. After all, it can be exhausting trying to spend all that money.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Huckleberry said:
    Its the food that hits your wallet the hardest at a baseball game. A hot dog and a beer are going for $500.00

I don't know the policy around the rest of the league, but Kauffman Stadium allows you to bring in your own food and water.

I've been a Royals season ticket holder since 2012, fluctuating between 3 and 9 full season tickets. I've attended every single game that I wanted to, including the 2012 All-Star Game and every single postseason home game in 2014 and 2015, and usually around 20 (and one year around 65) regular season games each season, and resold the rest, turning an overall profit in the 7+ years I've had my tickets. I've essentially been paid to attend hundreds of MLB games.

The whining and complaining about player's salaries somehow affecting ticket prices and cost of concessions has gone on infinitely, it seems. But it's not the players' fault that prices are what they are, it's the fault of your fellow fan. The teams could sell every ticket in the stadium for a dollar, but you would never be able to buy one for that. They would be snatched up immediately, and sold on the secondary market for whatever your fellow fans were willing to pay. That's why tickets cost what they do. Same with concessions. If people are willing to pay $12 for a brat and $14 for a beer, well of course they're going to sell them to you for that, and next year see if those same folks are willing to go to $13 and $15. They would do that whether the players were each making $30,000 or $30,000,000.

Me, I bring my giant bag of peanuts and my sub sandwich in with me, maybe some candy or some popcorn. If I've tailgated, I'll sometimes being my extra brats in. Nobody forces me to spend a dime more at the game than I want to.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    They may even have the limo driver bat for them if they're feeling a little bit tired.

George Brett used to do that sometimes when a lefty was pitching.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

unless you paid for a stadium or two.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

only if my team is overpaying them for poor play

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@DIMEMAN said:

unless you paid for a stadium or two.

Never have.....never will.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could care less.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@dallasactuary said:

@stevek said:
    They may even have the limo driver bat for them if they're feeling a little bit tired.

George Brett used to do that sometimes when a lefty was pitching.

I saw Brett do it, and he never even tipped the driver, the cheap little SOB.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Could care less.

m

Mark we went over this the other day. Your statement means you actually do care. ;)B)

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:
    Could care less.

m

Mark we went over this the other day. Your statement means you actually do care. ;)B)

Ok I care less then zero

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Dimeman you must be happy about your Cowboys signing Randall Cobb.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:
    Could care less.

m

Ok I care less then zero

m

The correct statement would be "I couldn't care less"! B)

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:
    Could care less.

m

Ok I care less then zero

m

The correct statement would be "I couldn't care less"! B)

Irregardless. ;)

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am sure fans have been complaining about player salaries since 1869. as for me I couldnt care less. I would MUCH rather the players get more of the revenue than billionaire owners getting even more. in fact, for the amount of revenue some star players bring in for their teams, they are in fact underpaid. I think it was Grote who said trout brings in 69 million/year revenue for the angels, yet he only gets paid 36/year. actually underpaid and took a home team discount.

One thing I find hypocritical is when I talk to some of my union friends. they complain about pro athletes making mega millions and having bad years or not producing. Well, Union friends, your job is not merit based, it is based on seniority. I know of some who sleep half of their night shifts away but cant be fired. No one complains that those guys are overpaid even though they are not producing

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

I would like to know how it is figured that Trout brings in 69 Million for the Angels a year!

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2019 7:36AM

I knew an older gentleman that would not watch sports because of that very reason. I could never understand why. Yeah they make a lot of money but so what. There are so many other things to be mad at in the world rather than being jealous about what kind of money an athlete makes.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:
    Could care less.

m

Ok I care less then zero

m

Good movie!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even though they all could be considered overpaid, the players usually get paid pretty fairly. The good ones get the most the bad ones don't last long.

From what I have seen in my life in the private sector, the ones that get the most money or the easiest jobs are good at one thing...........................kissing a$$.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@Justacommeman said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:
    Could care less.

m

Ok I care less then zero

m

Good movie!

Robert Downey Jr. The toilet scene still sticks with me

m

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Only when they don’t give 100%, like sitting on the end of the bench pouting, ignoring the coach, not engaging with teammates when your losing.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

sometimes people bring up police, fire, nurses, teachers etc. I consider those professions very different. the ability to play pro sports is exceedingly rare. the ability to dominate pro sports is stupidly rare.

There are about 600 people in the world who can latch on with a major league roster. of those 600, maybe 5-10% can be considered star/superstar players. that is about 30 to 60 people worldwide. I would say the demand for those people would drive a very very high salary.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    sometimes people bring up police, fire, nurses, teachers etc. I consider those professions very different. the ability to play pro sports is exceedingly rare. the ability to dominate pro sports is stupidly rare.

There are about 600 people in the world who can latch on with a major league roster. of those 600, maybe 5-10% can be considered star/superstar players. that is about 30 to 60 people worldwide. I would say the demand for those people would drive a very very high salary.

This is good. Very good.

m

• Options

The question is are they worth what they get. The answer is they are worth what the owners will pay. The reason owners can pay this stupid money is that they rake in stupid money. The reason they rake in stupid money is because people will go pay stupid money for tickets and pay 100 bucks for a Hot Dog and a Beer!

I have the best seat there is in my recliner watching on my big screen and pay zilch, nada, zero, zip and the food and drink is REAL cheap. :)

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    The question is are they worth what they get. The answer is they are worth what the owners will pay. The reason owners can pay this stupid money is that they rake in stupid money. The reason they rake in stupid money is because people will go pay stupid money for tickets and pay 100 bucks for a Hot Dog and a Beer!

I have the best seat there is in my recliner watching on my big screen and pay zilch, nada, zero, zip and the food and drink is REAL cheap. :)

Also helps when taxpayers are on the hook to build the owners their new stadiums. Plus all that corporate naming rights dollars.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Also helps when taxpayers are on the hook to build the owners their new stadiums. Plus all that corporate naming rights dollars.

glicker should start a thread about the dumbest stadium names. I personally enjoy when its some company that gets bought 5 or 6 times and the name keeps changing