Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PWCC-PQ Stickers Bringing High Prices...

mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 14, 2019 9:58PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

64 Rose psa-9 $11211( psa-9 in last month's PWCC auction sold for just $6700)
54 Banks psa-8 $12900 ( an 8 usually sells for no more than $7500)
64 Mantle psa-8.5 $7077 ( I wanted this one but was not even the underbidder. I underestimated the value of the PQ sticker)
59 Mantle psa-8 $6956 (this is usually a $4000-5000 card...I believe)

Your thoughts on the PQ sticker value are welcome! It is bringing surprising prices!

mint_only_pls

Comments

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

The cards are strong; sticker or no sticker most of those cards are getting bidders who want the card and can plainly see with their eyes what the stickers are saying. If the sticker was on a weak card the card wouldn’t get the same action.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Buy the card not the sticker

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

The sticker alerts buyers to outstanding cards for the grade...directs buyers to take a closer look at a card w/great eye appeal for the grade. It works!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

I absolutely want as many eye balls and bids when I consign and PWCC does a great job with the sticker designation.
    I have a consignment order going to PWCC next month.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Monte - I was surprised on the 59 Mantle. Centering was very strong, but the card had 4-6 fish eyes/print marks and bottom two corners looked average even with a naked eye. Sticker definitely helped.

• Options
    ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

Every time I see these PWCC stickers like HE or PQ I'm reminded of Chris Farley in the movie Tommy Boy saying.....

"Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time."

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

its funny. I just watched an interview with Brent and he mentioned that they dont get too much into grading. something along the lines of the time investment and leaving it up to the tpg. then I see they are putting their own shine on some cards with the PQ designation, and they disagree with PSA on grades for all the 97 green PMG's that just went up for auction. you either trust TPG or you dont. I certainly trust them more than I trust Brent for grading.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2019 8:28AM

In the sense that the stickers from PWCC have hung a lantern on the concept of eye appeal and centering, and how those rare attributes should/do command a premium over average examples in any grade, the stickers have done a good thing for the hobby. Yet as with anything, individuals need to also think for themselves and not blindly hand over their judgement (in this case to PWCC).

Much in the same way a buyer should examine the card in the holder and think/decide for themselves, as to whether or not they concur with the graders' assessment. When buyers let their own judgment atrophy and simply react to the sticker (be it PWCC's or a TPG's) without employing their own critical acumen, that's the thing to avoid.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

integrity is put to the ultimate test when the ability to print money exists

i have faith in PWCC

other hobby heavy hitters i wouldn't trust as far as i could throw them

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

@HighGradeLegends said:
    Buy the card not the sticker

Duh.