Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Fake Cards

How can anyone be allowed to sell counterfeit cards on eBay?This has happened to me and cards all looked original on the scans.The other day I decided to look over my 69 Topps set and the cards that were sent in
Hard plastic screw downs 9 in all we’re all counterfeit,all the top priced cards of course.This Set has been with me for about 3 years but because of illness I did not bother to unscrew the cases till a while back and because of two Mantle one white one yellow I decided to send them to psa for grading as I did not fell comfortable with the texture of the card however they matched up well except the texture with the rest of the 69s in the album
The cards even exhibited some corner ware.Yuk they came back as counterfeit and after opening the rest of the screw down I got sick to my stomach as all the rest of the screw down cards were of the same texture as the Mantles.Being 3 years since I purchased the set neither eBay or pay pal could track down this so called widow.
Now I find on EBay a seller is selling exact replicas of original cards for a dollar or two no where on the fake does it say reprint
THIS IS NOT FAKE NEWS.Unfortunatley I will not post the sellers name as I do not want to leave myself open for a lawsuit.
Thanks for listening.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMHO, Topps should be patrolling and prosecuting the counterfeiters for copyright infringement. As collectors, we can make each other aware and in some cases get eBay to pull a listing, but that's not really a deterrent. The problem is, there's no money in it for Topps or eBay to go after them. Buying raw vintage of superstars is unfortunately a minefield.

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

It’s out of control on eBay. Being able to list a card as unknown with a BS estate sale story’ is ridiculous.

Like this loser:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/chupacabrasupreme/m.html?item=303054307337&hash=item468f71c009:g:duIAAOSwmPFcXGuA&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

• Options

I agree and I don't understand why you can call a counterfeit card a "re-print" and get away with it either. If the manufacturer has not authorized re-prints, and stamped them as such, they are counterfeit, not "re-prints". It is no different than if I bought a copy of a new best seller, copied it and listed the copies on ebay as "re-prints". Ridiculous.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

I wonder how many folks who work for eBay, or even Topps today would know a fake from the real thing if they had it hand. Seems like even the grading companies miss a few from time to time.

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

OMG, terrible news again !!! :'(

Timbuk3
  • Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to read about this fiveniner. This is another example of why I am hesitant to purchase raw vintage anymore. I would rather pay a little more for a graded card from a reputable seller giving me peace of mind.

• Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

I reported on last night....item is still up. I see them all the time, from serial numbered Drew Brees rookies to the autographed 98 Playoff Ticket Peyton Manning. Theyre all fake, the seller knows it and they sell them as reprint thinking it absolves them from any responsibility. The card companies need to take some of these dirtbags to court and sue them for several thousand dollars per instance and the rest would get the idea and stop. Similar to the whole Napster music sharing issue from years past, it only took a handful of lawsuits to stop the majority from doing it. It wont end it, as these scum will then start hitting Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace, but it will at least get ebay somewhat clean

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options

I wish Topps would stop actually reprinting cards all together. I've been fooled several times by just not paying close enough attention. I didn't mind the "turn back the clock" cards back in the 80s when I was a kid that were clearly not the originals, but when a card looks identical on the front as a card from just a couple years earlier, and that's the only scan you can see and you are too old and feeble to have seen that lower case rp and somehow read 2016 topps as 2012 topps b/c your mind wanted it to be 2012... well, it can get tricky and quite frustrating sometimes.

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2019 1:45PM

I am going to report this seller.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)