Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Best single purchase non graded card(s) you bought off Ebay

In particular, I'm curious about deals that seemed too good to be true. Looking for examples in recent years, where we expect everyone to grade their cards that are worth be graded.

About 2 years ago, I came across a 1955 Bowman Mantle in very nice condition with a BIN of $150. The seller did not look like they sold graded cards. However, the listing had already been active for a few days. Obviously people are looking for Mantles all the time so I figured some had to have passed on it because of being skeptical. I purchased the card, measured it in hand and it was graded a PSA 7.

Comments

• I won this Largent RC raw for around $25, I used a $25 eBay coupon I had so I really got the card for free thanks eBay lol.

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

1972 Willie Stargell IA. Had it graded. Sold it for $1500.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2018 10:26PM

Two best modern cards...not off eBay tho.

The Baylor for around 20 to 30 bucks (Rotman Auctions) and the Ryan was a trade for half my table ($30) at a Sunday local show in GA.

Mike
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

mike, that ryan is amazing. well worth half your table!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

No pics handy but I purchased a Jordan rookie and sticker back in 2002ish? Paid $900 for the pair. The Rookie graded 7 and the sticker 8. Took awhile to break even and pass my buy price. I wouldn't even attempt to buy those cards raw today.
    On a side note I played pack wars in Vegas with 86 Fleer for $25 a pack. (a little steep in 91) I won a Jordan and no wanted the stickers. Came away with 4 more stickers. The rookie graded an 8 and the sticker 9, 8, 6, 6. That 86 set was the hottest set 5 years later, along with 1989 UD and 1989 Score Football.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Raw 1958 Alifabolaget Pele for $700, graded NM 7 and sold at $7,500

• yoda99yoda99 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2018 7:31AM

Not anything spectacular but I picked this Banks card up at a local card show in a suburb of Baltimore while on business about 25-30 years ago. The guy wanted double the Beckett high which was $20 at the time, so he wanted $40 for the card. I tried to negotiate him down but he wouldn't budge. I reluctantly handed over $40 and sent the card to be graded some years later. It is still in my collection today. This happened before EBAY was founded.

• stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought this. It was listed as non graded. The seller sent it into PSA.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

raw dog courtesy of a Canadian seller for ~ $25 delivered

pop 1 & the only graded dime from the entire set

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• JakeR2234JakeR2234 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2018 10:35AM

Bought a 1977 Walter Payton for $25 raw off ebay- figured it had some issues I couldn't see but for $25 figured why not.

Just got it back from PSA- Mint 9

Best to date.

PC Walter Payton - Bear Down!

• mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

About a year ago in early October, I had some ebay bucks to spend and was looking at a small "risk investment". Came across an 83 card rookie lot of Jimmy Garroppollo. Included was an SP Authentic Future Watch and dozens of better cards/parallels like Topps Chrome, Prism parallells, refractors, etc. Listing was an auction, so I bid $100 with the intention of selling them if he ever got traded and a chance to start. Roughly two weeks later, he was traded, seven wins to finish the year and I unloaded all of his cards for a little over 1k. Purchase price - $63

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • clarke442clarke442 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭✭✭

From here...

To here...

• rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

Nothing like the above but my best one was a 1976 Topps Schmidt for $15 that came back a 9 which I sold for $160. I’m lucky if I find 3-4 cards a year where I can make money off grading them but I only try sporadically.

• dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2018 1:30PM

bought a low serial numbered card on ebay that I was hoping to make money on. only other PSA 10 of it sold for $300. got it for under $30 at auction luckily and it got a PSA 10. had it sold for almost $300 within hours of posting it.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• WalkinDudeWalkinDude Posts: 82 ✭✭✭

Bought this raw 1961 Aaron for $170 dollars. It ended up grading at a 9. I honestly thought it was going to be an 8. Sometimes you get lucky.

Bought this nice looking raw 1972 McCovey for $35 dollars and turned it into a PSA 10.

Patrick

• 19591959 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

Bought a 1956 Ted Williams and Bob Feller from Polo Grounds (about 10 yrs. ago). Both were advertised as MINT. Feller graded a 7. and Williams a 9. ( and it is a 9 or 10). Sold the Feller , still have TEd.

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@Largentcollector said:
    I won this Largent RC raw for around $25, I used a $25 eBay coupon I had so I really got the card for free thanks eBay lol.

Wow

• MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

Got a 9 Larussa RC bought it for $5 raw and sold for $100+. Got a '63 Fleer Spahn for $10-ish raw and graded 8.5

• secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭✭

@MLBdays said:
    @secretstash ...I'd vote you MVP of the thread thus far....thats tremendous. I probably keep this card is the only difference. Splendid flip.... Centering excuses all this cards minor issues....massive appeal!

Thank you, sir. It was an absolutely beautiful card. I was really lucky to spot it and take the "risk", but it just shows you that stuff is truly out here. This seller had it marked as a reprint, and it is pretty amazing if you consider just how in the world they had obtained an authentic Mays RC unknown to them as real in the first place.

• bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭

Best non graded purchase for me was a 1987 Auburn Tigers McDag Frank Thomas of eBay for $350.
    Sent it into PSA came back a PSA 9 looked like PSA 10 sent it back for review and got a 10. Sold it between
    the time Thomas when was selected to the HOF and inducted for $5000.

James

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭✭✭

I caught a large lot of 1887 N184 Kimballs with a BIN of $100 right when they got listed. The lot had the baseball players, the boxers, and many others from the set. That was a nice score.

Arthur