Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ebay refunded my buyer TWO separate times...please HELP!

doog71doog71 Posts: 405 ✭✭

Ebayer asks for partial refund of $75 to keep a nearly $400 card, unhappy with condition. I do that, he then through eBay submits he actually wants to return card for full refund. I immediately agree. The day the card is delivered back to me, I issue the refund. The refund said it would take a few days to clear (taken out of my checking account). (I regret not just putting $ in my paypal account so it would go right through-I don't do many refunds and I just didn't think about it).

Buyer, who has been very belligerent from the get-go, is very angry he has to wait for refund and opens a case with Ebay 2 days before the first full refund is going to clear. (At this point, the first refund has actually cleared out of my bank account but was "still pending" on Paypal). Once he opens that case, message from Ebay says first refund is "on hold". He insists that I should then actually send a separate full refund, because according to him, "there's no way eBay would let the first one count or go through".

Well, you can probably guess the rest. Ebay sees he has returned the card and automatically issues him a second full refund. The buyer knows he has now received two refunds but says nothing about it to me even when I ask. I call Ebay customer service and they quickly acknowledge the problem and tell me they are going to reimburse me the second refund (when I asked how that works the CS person was unclear but thought it would go to my paypal account). They said the process would take 24-48 hours. It's now 48 hours later and Ebay still has not returned the second refund to me. On top of all that, he leaves negative feedback - my only one in 17 years. Hoping I can get that removed as he did threaten me in writing he'd do that if I didn't send the second refund).

Any advice? Any recourse or do I just have to live with it? Thank you for any advice you offer!

Comments

• Options
    DoctorKDoctorK Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

Kindly out the buyer when you feel comfortable. PM will be fine.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would contact eBay and not get off the phone until you got a concrete answer as to what exactly was going to happen about your refund.

As far as the negative, the buyer left you a neg, it's their prerogative. It doesn't sound like they threatened you with a negative as much as they simply (though belligerently) informed you that failure to issue a refund would result in negative feedback.

Arthur

• Options

So I have talked with Ebay twice now, again today, the first time they said it would be taken care of in 24-48 hours. I called again today as it's been 48 hours, explain everything again. After 20 minutes they told me it's a Paypal issue and they would connect me to Paypal. Then the call went dead, I guess I was hung up on mistakenly.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

these kind of problems never happened when e bay owned paypal

• Options
    demondeacsdemondeacs Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

I just read his response to your comments. Does "sell it again and you'll get it back" mean he thinks it's ok for him to pocket two refunds because you can still sell it? I hope not.

I don't have any advice on getting ebay or paypal to help, but if they don't I suppose you could out him on social media or maybe modern card sites like blowout if he posts there.

• Options

Demondeacs I read that comment as well, I'm not sure what he means by that. BTW I just got off the phone with Paypal and they said, you guessed it, it's Ebay's problem.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2018 3:00PM

Please PM me this guys ebay name so I can immediately block him

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

One negative in 17 years won’t hurt, congrats on your great record. Unfortunately you can’t please all.

• Options
    pheldaphelda Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

I didn't realize that ebay offered cumulative remedies for a buyer. I thought it was either:

Issue a full refund now, buyer keeps item, close dispute
    Issue a partial refund, buyer keeps card.
    Buyer returns item to seller with provided postage, once buyer receives card, issue refund.

I thought the partial refund was the end of it and resolved "closed" the dispute. Guess I need to look closer at the resolution terms and conditions.

Sorry this is happening and it sure sounds like poor customer service from Paypal and Ebay.

• Options
    pheldaphelda Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

I mean "seller" in part three.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

who was the buyer? ebay name?

• Options
    MeshMesh Posts: 86 ✭✭✭

is the buyer also a seller ? B)

• Options

Quick update: I finally got ahold of someone at Ebay that could understand the problem. He actually cared and told his "team leader" the issue and they agreed to refund the $. I think that's the key with ebay, finding someone that doesn't just give up or hand off the problem to someone else when it gets a little confusing. Really appreciated the third CS I spoke with (third time's the charm). They also removed the negative fb. I'm not sure how to PM but if I can I can let you know seller's ID. Thanks for all the comments.

• Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Glad this seems to be getting resolved. What a headache.

I’d love to know the eBay name of this person as well to add to my block list

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options

Please PM me eBay name as well if you have a chance. Thanks!

• Options
    CdnOsfanCdnOsfan Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

I don't understand why people have to be so mean spirited and leave a negative when there is a problem and the seller resolves it quickly and without fuss. The few times I have had issues on eBay, as long as the issue is resolved and they are decent about it, I will leave positive or no feedback. I have maybe neg'd 5 people in almost 20 years and probably 2500 transactions on eBay. I'm glad eBay removed it for you.

I had a guy neg me on a $5 card that he got a good deal on even though I gave him a full refund and let him keep the card. I did all this within minutes of him contacting me. He was hoping that he could grade a 1972 OPC Willie Mays and make a killing on it. I fully described the card and provided front and back pictures. I would say it would grade a 5 or 6, I never claimed that in the auction though. A few days later I got the neg. I am not sure what else I could have done to make this guy happy....

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

NEVER offer a partial refund, plain and simple. its an easy way for a buyer to try and jam up a seller. full return and refund is the only way to go.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options

I would like the ebay user name as well please.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2018 12:04PM

For future transactions, always go to the sold item in your Ebay and choose issue refund. When you use the system, then a 2nd refund cannot occur. On top of that, you will be credit back all of your fees. Lesson learned. I am sure you will be made whole eventually. If the customer does a lot of transactions, they may not have noticed. If they did, then they are just a jerk. Breath and know that life will throw these thing at you, learn and move on.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member