Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

eBay "Helping" Sellers by Including Stock Photos?

Comments

• bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

I am a little surprised that sellers using stock photos are able to sell enough on ebay for it to be worthwhile. Would they not get a bunch of returns in the normal course ?

Mostly now when buying cards on ebay from a seller I have not purchased from in the past I will first ask them to verify that I am buying the card in the listing scan.

Are there folks here who ever intentionally buy cards based on stock photos ?

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2018 12:37PM

I must be doing something different - when I click on the link - I see the photos of the seller's cards - no "stock" photo.

Could it be my MAC is different?

Mike
  • vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

When I see stock photos or one photo but multiples available, I just move on. I need to have some idea as to what I'm gonna get. I've made a total of 1 return request in almost 20 years, and I didn't even have to make the return as we worked something out. That's not to say I've been happy with every purchase, but I'd seen enough that I felt the onus was on me and not the seller.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

I deal with a card dealer that sells on Amazon as well. There, as well as his own website he has pics of cards with his grading. So while the pic of the card may be higher or lower than the one he is selling, he just uses that one photo. I will preface this by saying they are 62 Jell-O hand cut. After returning cards purchased on Amazon, I had ordered off his website. I asked for pics. This was about a $500 order. The second time I asked for pics I got a snarky response stating "you know how I grade cards at this point so you shouldn't need pics". Ouch! I did say he would send pics the next day. I have made multiple purchases from him since, but have only purchased cards he has pics of. Hand cut is a beast of his own and while some may consider an ex-mt card ok with no boarder, I do not. Long story short, I don't know why people would decide to use a stock photo of any card if they really want to get top dollar or not have returns.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    I must be doing something different - when I click on the link - I see the photos of the seller's cards - no "stock" photo.

Could it be my MAC is different?

Same here. All I see are the seller's photos.
    James

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm using my android mobile eBay app and I get the seller's photos when I click the link. No stock photos here.

• backbidderbackbidder Posts: 233 ✭✭✭

I am also seeing the stock photos. I think ebay is inserting them, not the seller but I don't know for sure. Either way I do not like them at all because they are misleading and annoying.

Here is the stock photo with the Gretzky. When you click to view the listing the stock photo flashes momentarily but then moves to the first photo the seller provided. You can click back to the stock photo on the thumbnails.

• detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭✭

Guys, let me be clear, I do NOT think the sellers are inserting the photos, that is the issue. If you look at backbidder's screen capture, you will see that the seller has multiple photos of a PSA 4 Gretzky rookie. When the auction comes up, the 2nd photo in the sequence (of a PSA 4) is displayed. However, if you go scroll through the pictures, the leftmost photo (as shown in backbidder's screen capture) is a PSA 6 Gretzky with the words "stock photo" at the bottom. I honestly don't think the seller added this photo, I am seeing it on too many items. For those that don't see it, are you all mobile?

edited July 14, 2018 4:59PM

Here's a 1961 Topps card of Willie Mays for bid with a stock photo of a 1964 Topps GIants Mickey Mantle:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-Topps-baseball-482-VG-EX-4-Willie-MAYS-MVP/163140335456?hash=item25fbebf760:g:3LcAAOSw46ha~FIh&LH_Auction=1&_sacat=213&_nkw=-psa+-sgc+-bvg+-bgs+-bccg+-graded&_from=R40&rt=nc&_dcat=213&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X-psa+-sgc+-bvg+-bgs+-bccg+-graded.TRS0

First, the seller's photo:

Next, the stock photo:

It has to be eBay that is inserting the stock photo, as they are all similar and the font on the "stock photo" label is the same. The only similarities I see among the sellers is they all like to photograph their cards on granite :-).

I don't see stock photos in any of the listings shown including the Mays card.
    James

James, I am using Google Chrome on an new HP laptop with Windows 10. What are you using?

Dell with IE and Windows 10

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first pic in the lower right hand corner on both, when ya click that first pic, says "Stock photo"

Ebay is out of their *** **** minds.

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing like the need for a stock photo on a PSA Gem Mint 10 card. LOL

• rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

Sometimes a stock photo will appear when creating a listing and you have to delete it. I’ve had to remove a listing and start over one time when I missed it. It hasn’t happened in a long time though.

• stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't use stock photos. I use photo of the item. I think that is right.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• tonylagstonylags Posts: 571 ✭✭✭

@detroitfan2 said:
    Here's a 1961 Topps card of Willie Mays for bid with a stock photo of a 1964 Topps GIants Mickey Mantle:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-Topps-baseball-482-VG-EX-4-Willie-MAYS-MVP/163140335456?hash=item25fbebf760:g:3LcAAOSw46ha~FIh&LH_Auction=1&_sacat=213&_nkw=-psa+-sgc+-bvg+-bgs+-bccg+-graded&_from=R40&rt=nc&_dcat=213&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X-psa+-sgc+-bvg+-bgs+-bccg+-graded.TRS0

First, the seller's photo:

Next, the stock photo:

It has to be eBay that is inserting the stock photo, as they are all similar and the font on the "stock photo" label is the same. The only similarities I see among the sellers is they all like to photograph their cards on granite :-).

This happens because ebay is trying to mimic amazon and make all listings a catalog listing. Which is why that model doesn't work on ebay, especially with cards & collectables; however they don't realize that. On many of my listings I am the preferred choice when you click on see more x and there is a stock photo in front of my scanned images.

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.