Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1967 Topps Basic?

I'm thinking of putting together this set next. About how much does it cost to build, say, the 10th rated set, which is currently rated at 8.70?

Thanks for any input.

-Ben

Comments

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've considered doing the 1967 set raw, in just NM or better, and conservatively figured it'd cost a minimum of $3,000. Completing this set with a GPA of 8.70 is rather ambitious. While I may be way off, my guess is that you could buy a fairly nice 2019 model vehicle for less money than what it would take to accomplish that goal. Good luck, though! It will be of interest to me to follow your progress, should you attempt it.

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

To put together that quality of a set would take such a long time that any estimate provided now would be stale by the time you got 30% through completion. Its not going to be cheap though, its five digits easily. Best of luck!

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭

@GreenSneakers said:
    To put together that quality of a set would take such a long time that any estimate provided now would be stale by the time you got 30% through completion.

+1

I think a 609-card set would take a bit of time to assemble, unless you can find a large lot of commons on ebay or through the registry. Maybe some of the other folks who have built large sets can chime in.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

@waxman2745 said:

@GreenSneakers said:
    To put together that quality of a set would take such a long time that any estimate provided now would be stale by the time you got 30% through completion.

+1

I think a 609-card set would take a bit of time to assemble, unless you can find a large lot of commons on ebay or through the registry. Maybe some of the other folks who have built large sets can chime in.

Like anything, it depends on how committed you are, and how much money you're willing to throw at it that determines how fast you complete it. I was fairly motivated, but operating somewhat on a budget, while working on my 1975 Topps baseball set in PSA 8+. It took me about 2 and a half years to complete, and my GPA is only 8.42. To get to 8.70 in the 1967 set is going to take a whole lot of 9s, especially if you were to go "cheap" on the heavily weighted cards and only buy 8s for those. Probably at least 400 9s to get to 8.70. I used to know exactly, but I think I have roughly 180 9s and about the same number of 8.5s in my 75 set. I'm also at over 50 percent complete on a 1981 Topps baseball set in all PSA 9+, as well as over 30 percent complete on 1982 Topps baseball set, also all PSA 9+, and both of those projects are 6 years in. But they're like priority 9 and 10 on my lists of projects, so I don't mess with them unless I'm bored or stuck on my other projects.

I was hoping someone would chime in with a dollar estimate before me, but I'm going to bet that a 67 set with a GPA of 8.70, you can't even think about shooting that high without being ready to commit at least $50,000 and 5 years to the project, and between $75,000 to $100,000 if you wanted to get it done ASAP.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @countdouglas, that it will take at least $50,000 and a long term commitment. It will cost much more if you are in a hurry.

Good luck, Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    bens4778bens4778 Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the responses. I was hoping for a quote of $40K, but I’m not surprised at $50K. It would be a long-term project; I’ve been building my 1972 set for 10 years.

I would try to get all the major stars in 9 and skimp on the low pops, most likely. I would aim to get the stars first.

Good point about the price changing over the time period.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2, 2018 7:04PM

Great looking set! Good luck!!!!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    81 Topps Guy81 Topps Guy Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

I worked on that set for a couple of years buying all 9’s. Got up to 324/609 and gave up, had a good mix of high and low pop commons, high numbers, and stars. Still have the cards I owned listed on VCP, it’s up to $44k right now. Think they were around $37k when I sold 5 years ago

• Options

Well, I just looked up the prices for the Seaver and Carew RC, and I might have to settle for an 8 on one or both of those!

Then again, I suppose I could use the proceeds from selling my current set and buy a few of the big dogs right away. Then I could do the monthly budget thing with the cheaper 9s for awhile. When I build a set, I like to acquire cards steadily.

8.70 is sounding a little more ambitious than I thought; $50K might even be light, having looked a few prices up today. But I didn't think I had the money for 1972 when I started at age 28, and I got there eventually, so we'll see.

Absolutely love the set, and I had a great time buying raw high #s back in the day before I went strictly 72. For some reason, the 1967 Tommy John card is one of my favorite cards.

• Options

Yes, I think you will spend more than $50K if you want the stars in 9 and overall 8.7. You will not regret it in the long run.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have the #7 ranked set. It is challenging but doable. Cost will greatly depend on the mix. If you go for stars in 9, it will be expensive. If you get to 8.7 by mostly buying higher population commons, it won’t be too bad. It’s not a tough set outside a few of the low pops. Even the Seaver and Carew are fairly high pop in 9. I too love the Tommy John card. The Brooks is one of my favorites too. Good luck if you decide to build it. I have a fair number of PSA 8 and 9 dupes available. Hit me up if you pull the trigger on the set.

• Options

I did a little research and came up with about $38K for the star cards, league Leader cards and a few of the higher priced cards like #1 "The Champs"in PSA 9. Looked at the top 34 singles and league leader cards. Used ebay completed auctions and PSA price guide. PSA guide was actually right on for many of the cards.

Obviously the Carew, Seaver and Mantle are huge costs in a 9, you could drop $38K on those three alone in 9's. Looks like 8.5's can be HUGE bargains! Grabbing a Mantle in 8.5 (IF one is available) saves you around $10K.

I am beginning to think you can at least come close to your 8.7 goal and have one of the most beautiful sets around for $50K or so. Of course the "key" cards will have to be 8's and 8.5's and you will have to find a way to make up the difference with a LOT of 9's in the common cards to raise it to your goal. Not sure if you want to go that way.

If I had the funds I would give this set a try!

gemint is right on in his assessment, if he is willing to help you this could be huge!

• Options
    edited July 4, 2018 11:32AM

More great info... Gemint, I may be in touch shortly. I've been meaning to wrap up my 72 set for awhile, though I've been having trouble letting go.

Looks like I could get a Mantle in 9 for around $6K, assuming I don't want the finest example around. I would have to cut a corner with an 8 or 8.5 somewhere. Now that I've done more research, I see that I cannot afford all of the stars in 9, most likely.

Beyond the big 3 cards, though, the prices aren't too too bad. I'm not spending $1800 on a B. Robinson, but most of the stars top out at $600 or under, save for a few more huge names. I could pass up Rose, Maris, Carlton, etc. in 9. Carew would probably be an 8, as well.

Speaking of B. Robinson, whoever bought that PSA 10 in 2010 for $2550 is likely now sitting on a $6K+ card. Maybe even more.

Also interesting to see how badly Seaver has gotten crushed as an investment... (- 50%) in 2 years.

• Options

The Seaver drop makes no sense. One of the best modern day pitchers.

I'm glad I don't buy cards as an investment.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

What caused drop in Seaver value? Pop inflation?

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2018 4:25PM

FWIW Just out of curiosity I looked up VCP for the set in both 7&8. To complete the set based off of realized prices would cost :

$13596.91 PSA 7
    $291117.32 PSA 8
    $34941.17 PSA 8.5 (-26 cards)
    $100582.65 PSA 9

Kevin

Edited to add I thought you said in 7.8. I will go look up 9 now. Stand by.

Kevin

• Options
    ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    What caused drop in Seaver value? Pop inflation?

Summer of 2016 manipulation.

• Options
    edited July 4, 2018 4:10PM

Oh, so it is only off from those bogus highs? Isn’t that true of every major rookie pretty much?

• Options
    edited July 5, 2018 8:36AM

@PaulMaul said:
    Oh, so it is only off from those bogus highs? Isn’t that true of every major rookie pretty much?

I am curious at what the "summer of 2016 manipulation" means.

With only three PSA9's, the guys who "needed" that card already have it. The three 9's are all in the top 12 Seaver Master set collections, so it looks obvious that in one of the auctions two guys went after this card hard.

I'm thinking the value of this card in 9 could skyrocket if/when the next one comes on the market.

• Options
  • Options

@PaulMaul said:
    You mean three 10s?

I did read that wrong. Kind of ruins that post. And I don't even drink!

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    And I don't even drink!

There’s the problem.

• Options

@bobsbbcards said:

@JoeBanzai said:
    And I don't even drink!

There’s the problem.

If you only knew :-(

• Options

@bobsbbcards said:

@JoeBanzai said:
    And I don't even drink!

There’s the problem.

While I do like to drink, if I had never had a drink, and had instead put the money for said drinks into a bank account, I could probably buy the whole 1967 set in 9 all at once by now.