Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Internet Sales Tax

Anyone else get an email from EBay asking to fill out a form to let your congress person vote no on the Internet sales tax?
I do not sell cards to buyers in my state, don't want to be bothered collecting sales tax. If the law passes , will have to collect tax on every sale. Not worth it to me. End of my business, what's your take on this?

Comments

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got the e-mail yesterday but honestly, haven't had the time to read it. Need to though, as that would suck.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't looked into the details, but if something like this passes eBay will have to find a way to make it easy for the non-business sellers. My guess is it would require a lot of work for eBay, but they'll just take the taxes out and bulk remit to the appropriate states as part of the monthly invoice process for fees today.

• Options

Say goodbye to small business. This is the result of monopolies and corporate control of industry. Amazon, Wal-Mart and the like all have physical presences in every state and must by law collect sales tax. It is in their interest to push states nationwide to charge sales tax on all sales within their states to receive their share of the pie. Impossible in this day and age for a small, few man operation to compete. You need a full time accountant just to monitor every single state, county and city sales tax in the country, let alone if you can even handle that overhead.

• Options
    Mickey MaysMickey Mays Posts: 289 ✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2018 2:58PM

I only sell $4k-$5k a year, its a retirement hobby, don't need the hassle of the paperwork for every state tax. Could have a going out of business sale soon, does anyone have the time table on this if it passes?
    Thanks
    Tony

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

This could be a huge boom for business for consignment sellers.

I could see tons of people that sell their own cards saying you guys handle it and send me a check.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they went to everyone pays sales tax?

I'm guessing eBay would handle it with the sale along with the fees they charge?

Mike
  • Options
    demondeacsdemondeacs Posts: 116 ✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:
    This could be a huge boom for business for consignment sellers.

I could see tons of people that sell their own cards saying you guys handle it and send me a check.

Reseller's certificates (or their equivalents) will also become more popular since biz to biz purchases for resale are often excluded from sales tax. A lot of ebay card buyers are ebay store owners just buying for resale. I imagine the majority have already registered their card business with the state but there are likely a good number who haven't.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    If they went to everyone pays sales tax?

I'm guessing eBay would handle it with the sale along with the fees they charge?

Mike - i agree with ya. Ebay is not going to risk alienating countless numbers of sellers. They will collect and remit the sales tax to the states.

The bigger picture is how this tax will affect society as a whole, and it's certainly not good for the vast majority of people in any way, shape, or form. It's an extremely regressive tax, can significantly harm small businesses, and a multitude of other negatives...and for what? So that state governments would have more money to squander.

State governments will sooner or later squander this newly found booty, and then look for other "innovative" ways to grab even more our hard earned money.

I sure hope SCOTUS does the right thing and votes that this tax is unconstitutional, which it most certainly is.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Beatles - Taxman (Cover) lyrics description

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbQiVQuiu04

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live in New Hampshire. What is this "sales tax" thing?