Home Autographs Forum
Options

Fake Lincoln on ebay

This auction https://ebay.com/itm/Abraham-Lincoln-Ulysses-Grant-Signatures/273136616068?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055359.m2763.l2649

Lists this Abraham Lincoln signature. as part of a Civil War Scrapbook. It took me a long time of staring at it before I found conclusive evidence that it is fake.

At first I thought it could be real. But there are two issues that I found. One of them is subjective, the other is conclusive.

The loop in the L the connects to the L is the giveaway. Here is an authentic piece:

In this example and EVERY example you will find on google images and heritage archives of a true Lincoln signature the bottom of the loop connects to the L. In the ebay example the top of the Loop connects.

There is literally not one single example I could find after looking at least 100 of the top of the loop making the connection.

The second issue is the base of the L looks very strange. But perhaps one could attribute that to the fountain pen blotting.

Comments

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

You are correct. The ebay "Lincoln" is fake. Additional "tells" are that the signature should not be on a level plane like that either.

Buying US Presidential autographs