Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Latest Kuenker Auction!!!!!!!!!!!!

YQQYQQ Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow, some puple must have more money thn knowing what to do with it.!
some over 100,000 Euros...
what is it that drives buyers?

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Comments

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

That auction was a huge letdown. I had all my eggs in one basket this auction season trying to pursue a couple of lots in this auction today and I was blown out on one lot and the underbidder on the other. I guess the good news is that I still have all my eggs intact for another day.

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kuenker has a very strong book. For as long as I've been checking them out, they've had a very strong book. I don't know how they do it...

@worldcoinguy said:
    I guess the good news is that I still have all my eggs intact for another day.

That line is hilarious, especially out of context. But, yeah, you get to fight another day. I don't know what you were targeting, but most coins will re-surface. Even rare ones. I know this is easier said than done, but I'm hoping you'll have more patience than I. The hardest coins to be patient about is the last couple needed to complete a set.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options

about 15+ years ago I established myself with most of the German auction houses. and......I cleaned up on Canadian coins, especially on varieties. back then a 1948 dollar was available for around $ 500 at the auctions in Europe. Now it is over 1K. then they got smart and educated themselfs. that was when the old man Kuenker still made personal phone calls to approve accounts.

• Options

My friend in Germany, well established as a high end old German Gold collector, was disgusted today. he suggested that Russian and Chinese buyers are at it again for investment. Some of these "top Dogs" apparently were "One of a kind". He suggested these coins might end up at our host for grading and at a HA auction.

he said even US gold went tops.
    Lot 1483
    Vereinigte Staaten von Amerika / USA

5 Dollars 1795, Philadelphia.
    Schätzung: 35.000 Euro, Zuschlag: 55.000 Euro
    plus juice...... :o

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

A German dealer once told me that certain German auction houses, to phrase it politely, favor the consignor rather than the bidder.

Since they have full visibility to the book, favoring the consignor shouldn’t be that hard to accomplish.

• Options
    cwtcwt Posts: 292 ✭✭✭

Although Kuenker does on occasion offer live online bidding via e-auctions, I've always wondered why they don't provide this option for the majority of their sales..

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got blown out of the water by orders of magnitude. Big arbitrage between US and European price points on comparable lots.

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zohar said:
    I got blown out of the water by orders of magnitude. Big arbitrage between US and European price points on comparable lots.

Which direction? Buy here and sell there for European coinage?

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

My experience buying from Künker has always been great. Win some, lose some... but I do not recall any negative situation.

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EVillageProwler said:

@Zohar said:

Which direction? Buy here and sell there for European coinage?

Definitely easier to purchase here which makes sense given collector base being thinner, inspite of global reach.

• Options

European houses are masters in "playing" the game. It is just like playing a large fish...
    negative situations I am not aware of, officially. they will always settle. But I do know that some collectors will not directly or personally deal with some houses. they use an Agent because when they appear at an auction the house will shill. and nothing can be proven.
    But here is what I know ( not guessing): they do buy coins so they own them. and often many of these coins end up slabbed by our host or NGC. then they go to NE, HA, or similar, or even to Feebay.