Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1979 baseball rack boxes from the bbce site - looks like both sold @2100

did someone in this forum buy them up?

was this a good, bad, ugly price for the boxes?

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

At 87.50 per, I'd say right at about market value.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    mortizmortiz Posts: 62 ✭✭

If the boxes in question were from a sealed case I think that’s an amazing price.

I wouldn’t spend a penny if they’ve been picked through though.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ridiculous. The best you can hope for is a few PSA 10 commons and few psa 9 stars.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

I don't recall them being from a sealed case. Unless it was the two leftover boxes from the break we did on here. I would think FASC would be closer to $2,500. There are a few rack cases on e-bay that have been sitting. Almost comical the various prices. I think there is a 3 box case priced right near a 6 box case.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

@olb31 said:
    Ridiculous. The best you can hope for is a few PSA 10 commons and few psa 9 stars.

Do you have data to back that up?

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would guess that those who have "unopened" as the core focus of their collection are not in it strictly to fund a vacation home at retirement...

There's something interesting and alluring about a pack/rack/box of cards 30+ years old that have never seen the light of day.

So, they're not moved one way or the other by "corrections" that may occur in the market IMO.

Mike
  • Options

@Stone193 i would agree with your take here. we have a lot of unopened 70's racks and will not lie that seeing the price changes in the past 10 years have been fantastic to watch, but still nothing like high end mante's, Aaron's, banks's etc.

and having opened a decent amount of those racks, the clean, almost fresh smell of the cards, even after all those years, is awesome.