Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

OT: Hurricane Irma...Good luck fellow Florida collectors!!!

We are bracing for the storm here in Orlando. It is expected to get bad but nothing like South Florida. With these storms only time will tell.

I am taking all of my cases off the wall and securing my other spots where my cards are stored. Hopefully everyone makes it through the storm with as little damage as possible and more importantly their physical safety.

I was driving to work and trying to be optimistic and thought to myself all personal property is replaceable but not your health. Than I quickly reminded myself with cards that is not true!

We got nailed in 2004 by hurricane Charley and prior to that I thought hurricanes in Orlando were a myth. The news would hype them up and then there would be little to no damage. Maybe a quick power outage but nothing significant. I am just hoping the damage isn't as bad as it was then and I really feel for those closer to the initial impact because if it hits land at a Category 4 there is going to be massive damage in South Florida.

If you are in Florida please update on your safety. We may all not see eye to eye but one thing we have in common is we love collecting cards and for that reason alone we have more in common than most.

Good luck!

Comments

• Options
    OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

No kidding.. The company I work for has significant hubs in Ft Lauderdale and St Pete and they're all battening down the hatches (or using it as an excuse to get out of work :smile: )

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

St. Pete as it stands now will have some impact but Ft. Lauderdale could see significant damage.

Our office closes at 2 today but I will getting out of here earlier. It was a little crazy pulling into the parking garage and seeing business's on Park Ave. in Winter Park boarded up.

• Options
    SpinFadeSplash23SpinFadeSplash23 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2017 4:20PM

I'm in Broward County and my house is as prepped as possible. I'm going to hunker down at my parents condo as it is 100% concrete. Stay safe everyone.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    firedawg45firedawg45 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭

To all you guys from Orlando. I have to work sat sun at the firehouse everything is Ready at home and even did a Psa sub this am to send out Monday if it survives. Stay safe guys.

# 2 Pete Rose Master Set , also
    collecting 1977 topps baseball in psa 9 and psa 10
  • Options

Firedawg what part of town is your fire station located?

• Options

Stay safe everyone!

• Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Be safe!

• Options

Dpeck 100, station 6 by the executive airport .

• Options

My twin lives right down the street on the other side of Lake Underhill by the brick church.

Storm is moving hard to the left. No telling how this plays out.

• Options
    bcubsbcubs Posts: 344 ✭✭✭

Best wishes to all who are in harms way.

Appreciate today-

Bill

• Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

Best Wishes to everyone affected in the path of this storm. Peck, stay safe man!

Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options

The track has moved hard to the left and so it is going to be very interesting to say the least. The west coast of Florida is now at a much greater risk and the hope for us here in downtown Orlando is that it doesn't cut hard and come right at us like Charley did in 2004. One thing about hurricanes is the are highly unpredictable. I commented earlier about St. Pete having less risk than Ft. Lauderdale at that moment and that is no longer the case as the Tampa/ St. Pete/ Clearwater region could get pelted depending on where this baby turns.

• Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 791 ✭✭✭

Good luck to all in FL, including me.

I got it lucky this time as I am in Jacksonville and bracing for rain and wind, but nothing like those in the Keys or SW FL will see.

Stay safe all!

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck men

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Help everyone got out early enough. I wish you all the best of luck in Florida. On a side note I thought SGC had their headquarters down there? If so I hope they moved all their cards sitting around waiting for grading with them

• Options

from what i heard SGC left a few years ago.

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

Best wishes to all who stand to be affected by Irma. Hopefully everyone stays safe and there is as little property damage as possible for all involved.

Steve
  • Options
    tbonewillytbonewilly Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

Anybody off the top know if psa slabs are waterproof? I don't have a big collection, but I live in the middle of the Florida Keys and hoping for a miracle, but just curious if this had ever been tested (I might be the guinea pig!). My collection is elevated, but it may not make much of a difference. I'm in Orlando just looking at my collection of photos and hoping I might get to see a few of them again!

Ken - Volunteered to work in Florida Keys, now freezing in Ohio
    Work in progress - Unopened Racks/Cello/Wax with star power for Baseball, Football and Basketball
    Collecting unopened 80's boxes and graded packs
    I may be hoarding too much 80's junk wax but I like it!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Prayers and best wishes to anyone in FL...this storm is terrifying.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭✭✭

I grew up in Florida and have family in Miami still along with the west coast. Here is a trick to keep valuables safe from water. Put them in a small container (Rubbermaid...) and then put them in your dishwasher and lock it. A dishwasher is one of the few waterproof items in your house where you can store things safely.

KC

• Options

Finally lost power. It is super windy outside and is expected to get much worse. Going to be a long night!

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be safe everyone.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭

Good luck! Hope the best for all in the path!!

Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

May all of those in the storms path survive it with their health intact.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Irma moved in shore a lot and we are getting huge wind as I type this. It's been going crazy for hours and the worst is yet to come. Amazing watching the trees sway back and forth. There is going to be a lot of tree damage in my zip code.

• Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2017 4:07AM

Thank God Irma was not as bad as predicted

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

they are watertight, willy. there was a clip of a bunch in a swimming pool. Haven't seen or heard much on the keys yet - good luck

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2017 7:17AM

Glad you're safe firedawg. My wife has family in Naples area. Her grandmother is on oxygen, and after losing her grandfather in winter, it seems that grandma wanted to be with family and out of the nursing home. If they do lose power, she will ultimately pass away. She wanted to take that risk and has accepted the possible consequences. My wife has been worried sick all weekend. As of now everyone is safe, but we're preparing for the worst.

Thoughts to everyone who is or has family in Florida.

• Options
    tbonewillytbonewilly Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    edited September 11, 2017 10:08AM

Thanks Bosox1976! I was hoping that was the case. I'm not holding out much on my house, but if it stayed intact, the cards are in boxes on higher shelves, maybe I'll get lucky!...Now the waiting game to see when we get to travel back to the keys (and hoping there is gas somewhere to purchase if needed!) Now if anyone is interested in a used 1999 Toyota Tacoma, has lots of miles and just a ilttle salt water in the cab, please let me know :)

Ken - Volunteered to work in Florida Keys, now freezing in Ohio
    Work in progress - Unopened Racks/Cello/Wax with star power for Baseball, Football and Basketball
    Collecting unopened 80's boxes and graded packs
    I may be hoarding too much 80's junk wax but I like it!
  • Options

We made it!! Tons of debris and lots of damage but nothing like Charley on my side of town. The wind was incredible and scary to say the least with huge oaks and pines. The best part is we just got our power back and I am celebrating with a vodka! Early estimates were five to seven days without power. So thankful to get through this monster storm!

• Options

Happy to hear you are ok Dpeck...hope others are ok as well

• Options
    edited September 11, 2017 5:51PM

Thanks dude!!

Seven hours of insane wind. Still getting major gusts as I type this. Woke up to this out front.

• Options

Dpeck. That's off Michigan ? Looks familiar.

• Options

Yep!

Lake Pineloch Village Condo's

We had so much debris. Our condo community is great and we had lots of people out trying to clean up today and serious help on the way tomorrow.

Very fortunate we had limited damage. Hearing College Park and some other areas hit very hard.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

David,

Glad to hear that you are okay. Hoping the same for everyone else.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya David

Glad everyone is OK.

Best of luck with the clean up and stuff buddy.

Mike
  • Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

I'm in Georgia and got hit yesterday. Not as bad as folks in Florida, but wind up to 60-70 mph and rain. I had to go out and help an older couple that lives next to me, because their shutters were banging against their house. We live in a historic downtown area that has been revitalized. The authentic shutters were still functional, but I had to secure them to the house. Big trees down all over the place. You can see all three of these trees from my front porch...two of the trees are 100+ years old came down...

• Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:
    We made it!! Tons of debris and lots of damage but nothing like Charley on my side of town. The wind was incredible and scary to say the least with huge oaks and pines. The best part is we just got our power back and I am celebrating with a vodka! Early estimates were five to seven days without power. So thankful to get through this monster storm!

Glad to hear things weren't too bad and that you're safe. Clean-up is the easy part, replacing the vodka wouldn't have been tough!

• Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Oh...and going on hour 22 without power. They said it could take days to restore it all.

• Options

@ugaskidawg said:
    Oh...and going on hour 22 without power. They said it could take days to restore it all.

Sorry to hear that. We take it for granted and storms like this are a harsh reminder. I just got off the phone with a co worker and she is looking at a week or more. She is freaking out and understandable so.

It is amazing how far this storm has caused damage. One of her friends like you is in GA and a 100 year old oak took down their house. Scary stuff. My cousin is up in South Carolina and was feeling great a few days ago but Irma didn't want to stop and she too is without power.

• Options

@CrissCriss said:
    DPeck & others: glad you are safe and sound.

Thanks bro. And yes I use the word bro too.

• Options

Power and internet back. No major issues at my house. Our City did ok, still over 1/2 without power.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

Great to hear that the worst scenarios were averted for you guys. I have a lot of family on the East Coasts (New Smyrna area) and am so grateful that they were so fortuitous.

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

Couple days without power is nothing. Consider yourself lucky. During Sandy, it took almost a month to get power back in some places here in NJ.

myslabs.to/smzcards