Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Feeling of Accomplishment

One of my projects for the last 10-12 years is putting together Topps hockey sets in NM/MT condition, mostly from vending/packs, starting with the 1970/71 set. I finally found the elusive card #28 (Bruins leaders) that I needed to complete my 1974/75. One small victory...

Comments

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 976 ✭✭✭✭

you store them in binders?

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations! Anyone that has painstakingly built sets knows exactly the feeling of accomplishment that you're indicating. You'll always remember that last card, too, and every time you see it listed again for sale from now on, you'll remember how impossible it was to acquire it at the time you were actually chasing it.

I undertook putting together the 1975 Topps baseball set in PSA 8+. It took almost 3 years and the last card I needed was Craig Kusick. A 1970 Topps baseball raw set took a bit over 2 years, and the last card I needed for that was the Seattle Pilots team card. My 1968 Topps baseball raw set took a bit over 2 years also, and while I continue to need a serious raw upgrade or PSA version of the Ryan rookie, the actual final card that I needed was Tommie Agee. Every time I see those cards, I'm reminded of that same giddiness that I had at the time to finally be done! Congratulations again, on being able to finish up and begin the next chase!

• Options
    sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

That takes great dedication my friend. Congratulations!

On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations!

I don't know your first name - can we add to our list?

I know what you mean about that feeling when you've been working on it that long. I have no idea when I'll finish one set with the centering criterion I've picked.

Sure gives us something to "live" for!

Mike
  • Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

@coinspacks said:
    you store them in binders?

I have some in binders, but mostly in sleeves and card savers.

• Options

@Stone193 said:
    Congratulations!

I don't know your first name - can we add to our list?

I know what you mean about that feeling when you've been working on it that long. I have no idea when I'll finish one set with the centering criterion I've picked.

Sure gives us something to "live" for!

Thanks you sir. Yes, Tom is my first name

• Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

Congrats!

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kudos on your accomplishment. What's your next goal?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Kudos on your accomplishment. What's your next goal?

Next goal is the '71/72 set.

• Options

@1970s said:
    Congrats. Are you done with all your sets yet ? And, did you have a hard time finding one of the Tony Esposito cards from the 1972 topps hockey set ?

Being in a suburb of Chicago, Blackhawks cards are typically not difficult to find.

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats, that's a nice accomplishment. Good luck with the other sets!

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

congrats!!! well done

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

Congrats...i know all to well taking on such a task..dont know if i missed the answer but are you getting any graded?

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options
    morton35morton35 Posts: 75 ✭✭

Congrats on the completion.

• Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

Congratulations! I just started collecting NHL in January so I have not completed any yet, but I'm still thrilled every time I think about my completed 1971-72 NBA set, and I finished that off in 2005.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

Very nice. I am working on a 1970 Topps baseball set. I need one last card. #669 Frank Tepidino. I hope to find him at our next monthly card show. There is nothing like finishing off a set that you put together by hand. The funny thing is after I put them together I will probably never look at the commons again.

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 976 ✭✭✭✭

@72skywalker said:
    Very nice. I am working on a 1970 Topps baseball set. I need one last card. #669 Frank Tepidino. I hope to find him at our next monthly card show. There is nothing like finishing off a set that you put together by hand. The funny thing is after I put them together I will probably never look at the commons again.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-TOPPS-FRANK-TEPEDINO-689-EXMT-7800H-/132295408084?hash=item1ecd6bb9d4:g:1JQAAOSwsg9ZkdZa

• Options

@seebelow said:
    Congrats...i know all to well taking on such a task..dont know if i missed the answer but are you getting any graded?

I have a couple in the 74/75 set that are graded, the Don Cherry and Scotty Bowman. Both are 8's. Now that it is finished, I'll actually try to get them in raw. I think the set presents better that way.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree completely that a mixed set of raw and graded doesn't display as nicely. I hate having those empty slots scattered throughout the set. I will often purchase the iconic cards in the highest PSA grade that makes sense economically, and then satisfy my OCD by then filing the empty album slots with much lesser grade raw cards, or even the "Cards Your Mom Threw Out" series Topps included in their packs a few years back, or other similar reprint issues by Topps. (I really only collect baseball, though, so unsure if hockey has similar availability of reprints.)

• Options
    FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭

Nice ! Congratulations!

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats. I am not patient enough to build sets usually. The few sets I have successfully completed were met with some great feelings of accomplishment. Is your username possibly a reference to Will Clark? You can see I have 22 at the end of my user name for that reason.

Steve
  • Options

@slum22 said:
    Congrats. I am not patient enough to build sets usually. The few sets I have successfully completed were met with some great feelings of accomplishment. Is your username possibly a reference to Will Clark? You can see I have 22 at the end of my user name for that reason.

It is for Will. I collect OPC baseball and Topps hockey. Kind of backwards from the norm.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way to go!

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is gonna sound smallish - but I'm working on the 2017 Topps Chrome set - only need 10 more cards to complete.

Every set I've ever done from packs - like Heritage? I always wind up with a TON of dups!

Mike
  • Options

@Stone193 said:
    This is gonna sound smallish - but I'm working on the 2017 Topps Chrome set - only need 10 more cards to complete.

Every set I've ever done from packs - like Heritage? I always wind up with a TON of dups!

The duplicates are actually one of the reasons that I like to collect from vending and packs. I like to use them as ones I send for autographs TTM.

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

Congrats Tom. Job well done. Good luck with your next set.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.