Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1981 OPC #136 Tim Raines rookie - UPDATE

JimMeantJimMeant Posts: 341 ✭✭✭
edited August 15, 2017 5:55AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Hey guys, I was fortunate enough to hit this in a recent psa order. Looking at eBay there seems to be no recent examples available.

Any idea what kind of value this card may have?

-Collecting anything vintage

Comments

• Options
    DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

Last one sold for $999.99 in Feb. of this year. Prior to that, the last sale was in 2012. Would think you're looking at something around 1k.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

That card is a beauty!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Nice card. Easily 1k to 1200.

• Options
    Halos2002Halos2002 Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

Awesome card!

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done!

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big big difference if it is labeled correctly and is a white back, or, if it is a gray back with a mech error that needs to be fixed. Put up a scan of the back if you don't know which one you have.

• Options
    edited July 4, 2017 8:59AM

It's a white back. I believe the gray back is incredibly low pop. I'll still take it though

• Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

I do believe that is a gray back...the only other version of 81 opc is a yellowish back...the gray backs are worth way more!!!

• Options

I have this gray back I've been waiting to send in for quite some time...

• Options

I was lucky enough to get 30-40 packs of all gray back cards a few years back...the Raines is nice, probably an 8 due to front centering, but it's this one I can't believe I haven't sent in yet...

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful Henderson, Phillip!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Ty Tim...it was the last card in the pack, and was protected by the poster insert...I think it's a 9 all day!

• Options

Jimmeant, I hope this helps

• Options

Ok, now I'm not so sure about what I have.
    Is this Psa 10 Raines rookie a regular OPC issue or a more rare gray back that is mislabeled?

According to pics on eBay I'm starting to wonder. Can any experts evaluate the pic of the back of my card pictured earlier in the thread?

• Options

I'm no expert, just heavily into opc...I've only seen the common yellowish stock and the more obscure gray stock on these...yours definitely isn't yellow

• Options

I think you have to specify "gray back" when subbing...I once bought a psa 9 Nolan Ryan that was mislabeled at a fraction of market value

• Options

Speaking of Nolan Ryan, I pulled a psa 9 gray back from the same batch of packs as the Henderson

• Options

I'm fairly convinced that is a gray back version...if so, $1,000-1200 is way low

• Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭

Really hard to tell from that pic. Kinda looks like a gray back.. Very nice card either way.

"The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options

I went through this with the Nolan ryan...if it's not yellow, it's a gray back...I've never heard of white backs...everyone's eyes see a little different, so white/gray are the same to some...I still think it's a gray back

• Options

My next step? Contact psa customer service and explain the situation?

• Options
    edited July 5, 2017 10:34AM

@JimMeant said:
    My next step? Contact psa customer service and explain the situation?

Nope, don't bother. Just pack it up with all of your other mech error cards (everyone has some whether they realize it or not) and send them in to PSA. Fill out a sub form by printing one and doing it the old fashioned way, since the online sub form isn't set up for mech errors. Be sure to write "Mech Error" on your sub form. When you fill out your form, indicate $0 for grading fees and $0 for return shipping and insurance. You also should type up a word document with a short couple sentences for each line item that needs correcting, explaining how they need to be fixed. Save your receipt for shipping the items to PSA, and email it to a customer service rep AFTER you get your mech error returned to you, and then they will mail you a voucher in the same amount it cost you to send your items to you. Let me know if you have any more questions about the return process, as I've done it a bunch of times for many many label error items.

Edit to add: If you ship a big box with a mech error order and a regular grading order, they will not refund your shipping charges to get the items to them. You only get the refund voucher if the box only contains mech error orders.

• Options

I thought I would post a little update.

Thanks to several posters on this thread that helped with advice, I re-submitted this card to PSA and they re-slabbed this beauty as a 1981 OPC rare gray back PSA 10. It is a pop 1

• Options

That is awesome.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

That is awesome! Wow love 81 OPC !

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options

Splendid!!!

• Options

But, do you have the orange refractor version, and the Sepia Printing Plate?

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!!! Congrats.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow - congratulations Jim.

Rare or not - a 10 isn't in my pay grade.

That would be the centerpiece of my 80s to now rookie group.

Mike
  • Options

Congrats, glad to see you have it in the correct holder. I am especially happy that we caught the potential on that one for you before it sold at white back price, since you definitely deserve not to lose out on that beauty!

• Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

Sensational!

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Wow. Love the o pee Chee's.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

Fantastic card, Congrats!

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable