Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Pete Rose value

With the news coming out about Rose, any thoughts on his cards, memorabilia, or any chance of him ever hitting the HOF. What he has done is inexcusable...and it makes me sick actually having 2 daughters in the house (one young one and one teenager). I just wonder if people are going to dump Rose stuff now due to principal, or do you think the General collecting public is just going to keep chugging along with his items?

Comments

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whatever really, really slim HOF chance he had, .0001% or whatever, is done now. At least while he's alive. Collectible wise though he damn near seems bullet proof.

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2017 10:13AM

Glad I sold all my Rose RC cards during the crazy price run up last summer. I had over 10 at one point.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2017 5:49PM

No chance at the HOF. He is a pathological liar and his word is meaningless.

That said, these revelations will have little to no effect on the opinion of his most fervent fans, for whom he can do no wrong, regardless.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    tbonewillytbonewilly Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

I would say it's still a great investment.. he didn't taint his stats as a player with the roids and nobody will ever get 4000 hits in a career again, I honestly could care less that he bet on baseball, now they have odds and betting for everything and I betcha there are players out there putting money on the odds,, IMO...

Ken - Volunteered to work in Florida Keys, now freezing in Ohio
    Work in progress - Unopened Racks/Cello/Wax with star power for Baseball, Football and Basketball
    Collecting unopened 80's boxes and graded packs
    I may be hoarding too much 80's junk wax but I like it!
  • Options
    OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Pete Rose is THE Baseball God !!!! (excuse the term God, am not religious, religion to me is what causes all worldly evils)

He effed up at the end.. so what. If a man dies and had never spent at least one day in jail...well that had to be one boring life. Pete Rose is above the HOF.

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭

I don't see a big hit to his memorabilia. I don't think OJ had much of an effect on his collectibles either. I suppose people collect an athlete, not a person. Plenty of bad stuff done by real people who just happen to be celebrities as well. It could be worse, I suppose. I would love to score a nice cheap Rose rookie because he is the hit king, but also because it is a HUGE hole in my Dodger collection as well.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OddRodz said:
    If a man dies and had never spent at least one day in jail...well that had to be one boring life.

Not if you were smart enough not to get caught. ;)

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    muffinsmuffins Posts: 469 ✭✭✭

topps now card? :)

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

The current allegations are a lot worse than betting on baseball in my opinion. I grew up watching baseball after he had pretty much stopped playing, so I only remember him as the manager of the Reds, not as "Charlie Hustle". I am sure if I watched him play, I would have enjoyed it, and I probably would have been a fan. Since I didn't though, I don't have any particular attachment to him and have never bought one of his cards or wanted to. I don't know that this will bring his card values down as collectors seem to have pretty short memories when it comes to scandals and its effects on cardboard values. I do wonder how this will effect his broadcasting career. I know most reviews were positive with him and his work with Fox, but I wonder if the current news would lead to him losing that gig. I do know that if your off the field exploits are bringing comparisons to OJ you probably are not a great person.

Steve
  • Options
    momo1234momo1234 Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

the only reason why his cards are bullet proof,is because of bart giamatti. yes he is the "hit king", or was until Ichiro, but that lore of pete rose is what makes all of his cards desireable.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't expect the latest news to affect Rose's memorablia/card values. It's not exactly the same, but consider Kobe Bryant. The charges he faced in Colorado haven't affected prices of his stuff. Yes, he didn't actually go to trial, but that's because he bought off his victim.

• Options
    TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

Just checked my inventory. I have 6 cards of Pete Rose and they represent less than 2 percent of the value of my collection. I don't plan on adding any more and will probably just keep what I have.

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭

I think the fact that it supposedly happened over 40 years ago has some impact on his current card values too. If it were something that happened recently, I'd imagine that would have a greater impact.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2017 4:04PM

I just got back my 1985 Fleer Pete Rose that I had to give to my older brother to complete his set. My parents sold their home and were cleaning out the closets and brought me Matt's baseball card boxes. We bought packs from Revco on Curry Ford and one night my dad came home with a bag of cello packs. Matt was the oldest so his set got filled first. This was the only card Matt needed and Pete Rose was my favorite player. I cried having to hand it over.

Getting it graded regardless of these new accusations.

• Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Say it ain't so!!!

"Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

Personally I think he should be in the Hall Of Fame. His statistics AS A PLAYER shows he belongs. YES he bet on baseball......as a manager. So, no he does not qualify to be in AS A MANAGER. He should be in with NO mention of his managerial statistics. Just my opinion.
    Robert

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    ArmyManArmyMan Posts: 40 ✭✭

It would be cool if the prices on his rookie card dipped a little more, but unlikely

• Options
    firedawg45firedawg45 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭

The old revco on curry ford. I remember buying value bags there years ago

# 2 Pete Rose Master Set , also
    collecting 1977 topps baseball in psa 9 and psa 10
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@firedawg45 said:
    The old revco on curry ford. I remember buying value bags there years ago

I bet there was a ton of corner damage right out of the pack with how they had them dumped in the white metal bin that looked almost like fencing. My folks didn't have a lot of cash so it was a big deal for my dad to come home with a paper grocery bag full of the cello packs at 0.59 a piece.

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

As someone who collected all the Topps sets I had to have all his cards, same with Mantle....or Lee Walls

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is not new information. Pete was much worse than Cobb. Total tool. No HOF ever.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

Highly unlikely he makes it,at least while he is alive. Too much baggage that goes against the political correctness grain we live in today. PC did not exist in the Ty Cobb era like it does today. Players like Cobb got in before PC became a relevant factor.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

There will never be a true baseball hall of fame without the great Pete Rose. Couldn't care less he bet on baseball.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wasn't that concerned that Pete bet on Baseball but what upset me was how he lied for years. I was loyal up until then.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

Managers should be required to bet on their own team. Get a little skin in the game.