Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Jeff Fritsch of Fritsch Cards died at 58.

RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭

Kind of makes you wonder what will come of the business. Are his kids going to continue to run it?

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/jeff-fritsch-dies-58/

Comments

• Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

Bummer.

The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, only 58.

RIP.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

So young and sad. Cardboard will outlast us all.

RIP

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too bad. I wonder what happened? 58 is pretty young

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

58 is VERY young. RIP. Hope no scum bags try to move in on the business post deceased

• Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

@HighGradeLegends said:
    58 is VERY young. RIP. Hope no scum bags try to move in on the business post deceased

RIP

Actually IMO the business could use some new thinking in management. It's about time that the business actually follows through and sells all of its advertised inventory at the advertised prices (or stops advertising the items they don't really want to sell).

Dave
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HighGradeLegends said:

I think it depends on the business/estate planning. 58 is very young nowadays and unless it was something expected, most people don't plan that well. I have friends in the life insurance/financial planning business and you would be surprised how many high worth individuals do not have any plans in place for when they pass. The family ends up having to sell the business for tax/financial reasons.

Fritsch is one of the names that I will forever associate with my start in the hobby. I always read their ads in hobby publications.

Mike
  • Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2017 1:42PM

@70ToppsFanatic said:

@HighGradeLegends said:

RIP

Actually IMO the business could use some new thinking in management. It's about time that the business actually follows through and sells all of its advertised inventory at the advertised prices (or stops advertising the items they don't really want to sell).

They've gotten much better about this in the last few years... and Jeff actually sold me some packs less than advertised! Now, their prices aren't the cheapest still (most are listed at above what they sell for when sold through Collect Auctions)... but I've not been turned down on product in a long time. And I've noticed they take product down when having sales or list it as CALL FOR PRICE. I think the main thing they are trying to do is prevent their inventory from being drained in a short period of time. All my experience is for a few packs at a time or a box every now and then, so they may still turn down people trying to buy up their unopened inventory.

But RIP, my thoughts and prayers are with the Fritsch family.

• Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭

scary for me who is 58. Died at home--heart attack or fall is usually what happens there if sudden. RIP and condolences to his family. Another hobby icon gone

• Options
    OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Rest In Peace Jeff - You were indeed a hobby icon. Congrats to you for all accomplished and the kids to live on for you. It's called success.

Now though for something I may again look like an ahole on:

I hope the kids bust the warehouse down and have the most glorious never ending box and pack rippathon ever known to humankind. It could be a weekly series on HBO.

• Options
    Halos2002Halos2002 Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

Wow...Way too young. RIP

• Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2017 10:27PM

@flatfoot816 said:
    scary for me who is 58. Died at home--heart attack or fall is usually what happens there if sudden. RIP and condolences to his family. Another hobby icon gone

Yes Manny, you should be scared lol! :D Watch out for the Grim Reaper--or in your case the Grim Ripper! :p:)

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OddRodz said:
    Rest In Peace Jeff - You were indeed a hobby icon. Congrats to you for all accomplished and the kids to live on for you. It's called success.

Now though for something I may again look like an ahole on:

I hope the kids bust the warehouse down and have the most glorious never ending box and pack rippathon ever known to humankind. It could be a weekly series on HBO.

If the kids aren't interested in cards they just might sell off the warehouse.

R I P Jeff

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

Only 58,makes you wonder why hold onto stuff. If his kids have no interest in the long term success of the business,its time to sell ot all. Take the money and live life.

• Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

@3BoyzTrading said:
    Only 58,makes you wonder why hold onto stuff. If his kids have no interest in the long term success of the business,its time to sell ot all. Take the money and live life.

From reading his obit I get the feeling he was living life and he was enjoying himself.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,435 ✭✭✭✭

2017 has been a tough year for Hobby icons

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless the family has an immediate need for the money, I don't think they will be "dumping" out the warehouse. The Fritsch's were very smart in managing their inventory not to flood the market and depress prices. So far the warehouse has supported two generations and will most likely continue going forward. I'm sure the kids learned a few things from the old man and Jeff.

Mike
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭

RIP

• Options

On vacation driving through Wisconsin during the summer of 1987 (when I was 11), I begged my father to drive a good 50 miles out of the way to Stevens Point, so I could visit the great Larry Fritsch Cards, "the world's oldest and biggest sports card dealer," as had been beaten into my head by their pervasive full-page ads in virtually every mainstream trading card magazine. I had no idea if they had a storefront, but given their ads, I assumed they would and it would certainly be amongst the greatest sports card shops in the land!

Well, they did have a store, but it was quite underwhelming. I can't recall exactly, but I remember it was quite small and quite dark inside, as if the store was put in a corner or small part of a large freestanding shed or warehouse that didn't have a whole lot of windows. Larry wasn't there; but Jeff was. I recall Jeff being quite jovial and he had a large mop of dark brown hair, parted at the side, swooping down across his forehead. As I mentioned, the store was quite small so there wasn't a huge selection of stuff for sale (at least nowhere near what I had seen at many other card stores of the day). But I did see these 11-card blue and red football sets and asked Jeff what they were. He was happy to help me and took the time to explain that they were the 1984 and 1985 Topps NFL Star Sets that came 1 per rack pack. (While I collected football cards in 1984 and 1985, I had never seen rack packs--only wax and cello--and hadn't even known those cards existed.) I happily bought the two sets and off we continued on our vacation. And until last year (when I bought a Fritsch box from a Collect Auctions auction), that was the only thing I ever bought from Larry Fritsch Cards. While they were one of the biggest mail-order dealers, ironically, the only things I ever bought from them were in person!

I hope Larry's family is doing as well as they can under the circumstances. As for what happens to their remaining inventory, it's anybody's guess, but mine is that they'll keep dripping it out in auctions and hopefully we'll get to bid on some things they haven't offered in some time. For example, I'd love to buy an 80/81 Topps basketball box if they have any. But that time will come when it comes. They should do whatever's right for their family first.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the children have no interest in sportscards, I can definitely see them liquidating inventory to cash in, rather than manage the business like Jeff did. Just look how Charlie Conlon's entire inventory of 75 minis was sold off in large lots after he passed away. Not everyone cares about sportscards like we do, though I do hope the younger Fritschs share that love of cardboard and continue to run the business as their father did.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭✭

Condolences to the family. Rest in peace.

• Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

KnightRider--- I loved your wonderful vacation story of stopping at Larry Fritsch Cards, and Jeff treating you great. That's a beautiful tribute to Jeff, and I hope his family reads it. They need to read it; this is such a painful time.

Ironmanfan --- You're right. That makes at least 3 major hobby people that have passed away thus far in 2017 --- Bob Lemke, Mr. Mint Alan Rosen, and now Jeff Fritsch.

Lastly, and most importantly, deepest condolences to the Fritsch family. May Jeff rest in peace, and may God help and carry the family at this most difficult time. --- Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

• Options
    RyansRustRyansRust Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

Sad to hear another hobby icon has passed. So young. RIP