Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Testing out our new printer.

MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

My fiancee and I recently purchased a printer for our business to print directly on items (primarily wood). Thought it would be cool to print some of my favorite trading cards on wood since I love how the grain comes out against the images.

She has asked me not to disclose the make or model of the printer since it is used for our business (I hope you understand).

Anywho, here are a couple creations I made tonight. Messed-up on the Superman border but I'll remake it without one. And, I had to make a Gretzky OPC rookie since it's my favorite. These measure 7x9" and are about an inch thick.

Comments

• Options
    byronscott4everbyronscott4ever Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

That's cool

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

Patrick,

Those are pretty cool. :+1::+1:

I love the wood grain underneath the ink as it almost gives it a third dimension, especially on the Superman card.

Thanks for sharing,
    Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have to agree those are pretty cool looking.

• Options
    edited April 9, 2017 7:09PM

Thanks guys! Here's a Cobb on a smaller piece (about 2.5x4.5")

• Options
    Loyalty32Loyalty32 Posts: 499 ✭✭✭

Looks awesome! I can't wait to see a 1987 Topps!

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like to see the 1962 Topps baseball woodgrain as well.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Oh man, I bet those would look nice. Which cards would you guys like to see from the set? Happy to print them this week and share.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MULLINS5 said:
    Oh man, I bet those would look nice. Which cards would you guys like to see from the set? Happy to print them this week and share.

But of course,Stan The Man from 62 Topps. Thanks in advance.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! I vote the 62 AL HR Leaders with Maris and Mantle.

• Options
    FrancartFrancart Posts: 334 ✭✭✭

1962 Topps Maris, #1

• Options
    TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

1952 Topps Mantle and 1958 Topps Jim Brown

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

Patrick ... those look amazing!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 472 ✭✭✭

I vote for 1987 Topps Canseco. Then donate it to the Mouchi Canseco museum and write off the cost o:)

• Options
    Time4aGansettTime4aGansett Posts: 382 ✭✭✭

@FirstBeard said:
    I vote for 1987 Topps Canseco. Then donate it to the Mouchi Canseco museum and write off the cost o:)

I think this is an excellent idea!

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

A NNOF would look good, especially if followed up with a signature by the Big Man!

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options

Or you could just cut the rest of the borders off the superman, By the way.... PRETTY COOL!!!!

• Options
    bowlaramabowlarama Posts: 169 ✭✭

Those are really cool. What is the name of that type of printer, my friend was just asking about these the other day

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bowlarama said:
    Those are really cool. What is the name of that type of printer, my friend was just asking about these the other day

She has asked me not to disclose the make or model of the printer since it is used for our business (I hope you understand).

Very cool, you might have a hit on your hands if you could make it to the National.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

Thanks guys! I'm waiting on some more wood that will be a better size for cards and then I will print these up.

bowlarama - it's one of the direct to substrate printers that prints directly onto items.

• Options
    mouschimouschi Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2017 8:26PM

Excellent work! I bet you are excited about it. I made some wood cards last year myself. It is funny to hear that people talked about the 1987 Topps Canseco and donating to me ... I'll def. take it! :) I also made a wood version of it myself last year, in addition to a few others.

Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!
  • Options
    OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

You do a lot of acid Mouschi..... back in the hippy days ? This is Mullings thread.

The Repo Man movie conversation at the link below is most fascinating.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=repo+man+you+do+a+lot+of+acid&view=detail&mid=815E21E5A0C1D27412C4815E21E5A0C1D27412C4&FORM=VIRE

I don't want to know how to drive...see ?

heh

• Options
    edited April 11, 2017 8:27PM

@OddRodz said:
    You do a lot of acid Mouschi..... back in the hippy days ? This is Mullings thread.

The Repo Man movie conversation at the link below is most fascinating.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=repo+man+you+do+a+lot+of+acid&view=detail&mid=815E21E5A0C1D27412C4815E21E5A0C1D27412C4&FORM=VIRE

I don't want to know how to drive...see ?

heh

I think I should state that I keep the acid usage at a bare minimum these days LOL (By acid, you do mean caffeine & chocolate, right?!?) :D

Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!
  • Options

Oh Mullins5, I think BunchOBull is onto something with getting them signed. Would be cool to do a set of some thick oversized wood cards and have them signed! WITH A VARNISH PEN! Ok, maybe not a varnish pen (not even sure that exists) but I think you could make a fantastic custom set here. I'm sure you are drooling over the printer you just got. Congrats again :)

• Options

Cool!
    One of these days, we may actually see a T-Shirt done.
    It be neato wearing one of those 'all-over' print shirts. Like ones with a bunch of scattered T206 cards all over a shirt.
    And don't forget pockets and bunch of 3,4 or even 5xl's. Theres a bunch of fat & old folks on Net54.

Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)
  • Options

@Cakes said:

@bowlarama said:

Very cool, you might have a hit on your hands if you could make it to the National.

They look really nice! However, there might be copyright infringement going on here. I am no expert by any means. You might want to consult a lawyer prior to profiting from this. Just to be safe. You don't want Topps knocking on your door unexpectedly.

• Options

@mouschi said:
    Oh Mullins5, I think BunchOBull is onto something with getting them signed. Would be cool to do a set of some thick oversized wood cards and have them signed! WITH A VARNISH PEN! Ok, maybe not a varnish pen (not even sure that exists) but I think you could make a fantastic custom set here. I'm sure you are drooling over the printer you just got. Congrats again :)

Thanks! I think they do make a varnish pen and that's a great idea! When I get the new batch of wood in I'm happy to make and send you a Canseco, just let me know what image/card.

• Options

@thesouthdoesitagain said:
    Cool!
    One of these days, we may actually see a T-Shirt done.
    It be neato wearing one of those 'all-over' print shirts. Like ones with a bunch of scattered T206 cards all over a shirt.
    And don't forget pockets and bunch of 3,4 or even 5xl's. Theres a bunch of fat & old folks on Net54.

It prints on t-shirts as well :)

• Options

@DocMercy said:

@Cakes said:

@bowlarama said:

They look really nice! However, there might be copyright infringement going on here. I am no expert by any means. You might want to consult a lawyer prior to profiting from this. Just to be safe. You don't want Topps knocking on your door unexpectedly.

I have so much on my plate right now I'm not looking to profit off these - but if I ever sell them I will make sure to go through the proper channels. Thanks for the heads up!

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
  • Options

@MULLINS5 said:

@mouschi said:

Thanks! I think they do make a varnish pen and that's a great idea! When I get the new batch of wood in I'm happy to make and send you a Canseco, just let me know what image/card.

SWEET - I'll definitely take you up on that! :)

• Options

'72 Clemente Topps #309 (not #310, I'd take either but I think #309 would look better).

That would definitely be my Father's Day gift to my dad.

Collector of Topps Series 1,2, and Update parallels; Pirates Topps Triple Threads; and vintage Roberto Clemente