Home Precious Metals
Options

PCGS and NGC question

Let me start by saying that i understand this is a CC board, but i have a question

NGC or PCGS? Which and Why?

i am just starting my coin journey after being a graded sports card collector for the last dozen years and am trying to decide on which company to settle on (NGC or PCGS)

i am speaking about modern coins (spare me your "that is drek" comments :) not so much as for "value" purposes, but for aesthetics and costs in general.

Thank you so much for your time,
Eric

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle

Comments

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check sale prices for the same coin,,,, same grade in both holders,,,,,,

you will have your answer. :)

https://www.pcgs.com/auctionprices

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    Geckster109Geckster109 Posts: 231 ✭✭✭

Just curious.....your last two posts have been questions/concerns with TPG slabs. Why did you choose the PM forum for these inquiries? I would assume that the U.S. coin forum may be the better venue for answers regarding grading services. Although some PM collectors do pay attention to these services, I know a much larger percentage of coin collectors do. You may have a more active and insightful conversation on this topic in that forum.

• Options

@Geckster109 said:
    Just curious.....your last two posts have been questions/concerns with TPG slabs. Why did you choose the PM forum for these inquiries? I would assume that the U.S. coin forum may be the better venue for answers regarding grading services. Although some PM collectors do pay attention to these services, I know a much larger percentage of coin collectors do. You may have a more active and insightful conversation on this topic in that forum.

You raise good points. i think i chose to post it here because the main forum is like shark infested waters! LOL

i have no interest in vintage coins, or US coins really. i suppose i could have posted it in the World Coins section (perhaps i still should).

the talk in these parts seem to be more free flowing and less elitist to be honest.

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2017 9:10PM

Neither, the modern drek buyers who think they are investors prefer ogp...

Now the modern drek collectors, Who love to throw money around and collect purses and handbags also, they prefer the slabs...

keceph `anah
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find the PCGS holders easier to image.

• Options

@rawteam1 said:
    Neither, the modern drek buyers who think they are investors prefer ogp...

Now the modern drek collectors, Who love to throw money around and collect purses and handbags also, they prefer the slabs...

THIS is exactly what i was trying to avoid :)

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2017 6:49AM

Lol...

keceph `anah
  • Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect nickels, watched prices for years raw, Pcgs and ngc.
    After a great 2016 flipping silver and gold I transitioned a lot into Pcgs nickels and various other coins.

I Prefer pcgs because:
    (In no particular order)

Slab attractiveness

Imaging slabs and true view

I like the the blue boxes and the color blue on slabs, storage boxes are less expensive

Better registry system

Better resale prices

Easier re sale

Brand recognition and reputation in my opinion

Quality products/ service

Great and responsive customer service

Interesting quarterly specials

High standards

Happy collecting, best wishes
    Rocco

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally find the NGC slabs more attractive than those of ANY of their competitors.

On the flip side, as stated earlier, premiums are highest on PCGS graded coins.

The things I don’t always agree with are always worth considering.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree. PCGS is dominant in the market. If you're going to the trouble/expense of getting them slabbed, PCGS offers you better financial protection for most U.S. series. I've heard NGC has better heft in the world coin market, though I'm not as familiar with that arena.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco
    He has a lot of valid points.........................except when he uses gold coins for the lawn sprinklers :smile:
    Happy collecting to you Rocco :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my case coins were purchased in PCGS,NGC and ANACS mostly old holders. This is a result of "buy the coin , not the holder"

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options

Thank you all for your input!