Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

CU One Card HOF

So DM's game of selecting cards that equaled 10 got me thinking. What is everyone's single most prized card. It could graded, raw, regular issue or oddball. Everyone on here has collections that spread all over the place. Narrowing it to one item is very difficult. The item could be something that has sentimental value, sheer cash value, is rare, or all of the above. If it is something of a lot of value and you want to black out cert numbers or anything like that, go for it.

I would have to post my 1960 Venz and this is why. It is a rare card. The meaning behind it is important because it is of my favorite player, it his RC, and it is a Veni. It is valuable. It presents well for its grade. It has writing on it that adds to the provenance of the card. It is centered. Definitely a cornerstone and the #1 member in my HOF.

I'm hoping for some really pretty cardboard to start appearing! Let's get a CU HOF of member's best card :)

Comments

• Options
    jskirwinjskirwin Posts: 700 ✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2017 7:58AM

My personal favorite comes from the 1970s, the focus of my collection.
    I don't own this card and honestly it's stellar grade has nothing to do with why I love it. I own a humble PSA 5.

One could almost call this picture a mistake. The subject isn't looking into the camera and the background is somewhat distracting. But I think it's truly a work of art.

Unlike so many poses of that era this one doesn't seem staged. Clemente appears relaxed and contemplative. The ball is in motion with just a hint of a blur. It captures what the man does. He is a ballplayer, one of the greatest to play the game. The action of throwing a ball and catching it is what he's all about, and this photograph captures that essence, his essence. It's made even more poignant knowing that his end was less than 2 years after this photo was taken.

I think that the photo is so good it can easily stand on its own as a work of art, one of the few I can think of that come from sportscards.

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2017 9:15AM

Love that Yaz. As a little kid, I remember first seeing that 72 Roberto around '85. Classic.

This will always be an easy choice for me. As a centering and image guy, it's rare. Plus I was able to have contact with the original family who owned it, and pulled it from a pack in 1952. Then it came straight here. Plus the auction will always be a fond memory, as I had to take the plunge and pay a then-wild premium to take it home. And lastly, out of nowhere it wound up being requested for the Louisville Slugger Museum and even got on TV, lol. Just lots of happy energy around it :) When it's all said and done I will have probably spent a pretty decent chunk of my time on earth staring at this one colorful little piece of cardboard, in complete happiness.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    thesouthdoesitagainthesouthdoesitagain Posts: 297 ✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2017 12:38PM

Matty cant get enough of your 52 there and all the times on N54.. I enjoy mine just as much. Defintely #1 as my white whale.
    If Bob (Begsu) was here, he most likely show us his Auto'ed 52 Mick.

Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2017 4:46PM

My first Aaron - Christmas, 1980

collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    ToneDToneD Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

Bought back in 2003, this was my first Cobb and 2nd T206. It sent me down the rabbit hole for sure.

• Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Some incredible cardboard guys! Love the 52s and that Cobb is awesome. I love the centering. That Aaron is great too and I love cards that have a backstory like all of you have described.

• Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

When I got back into collecting cards, my primary focus was going to be collecting the entire Milwaukee Braves run. This card was going to obviously be the most pricey. It's iconic, and Hank Aaron is a legend in Milwaukee, only one who comes close is Robin Yount, and depending on the era you grew up, that's debatable.

I had saved up for this card and was trying to buy one for awhile, but there was never a well centered version I liked in my price range. Two summers ago I found this at the National, and after searching the floor for hours it was the best 6 at the Natty at the time, hands down. I had never made such a big purchase, so I was hesitant if I was making the right choice, but I went to the Natty just for that card, so I pulled the trigger. When I gave Jeff at Card Country my cash, I was shaking with excitement. It was a pretty great feeling to finally get my whale. I celebrated after with one of the best beers I ever had, and it was just a High Life or Budweiser. Ha. Here's a picture from when I bought it.

• Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

My small collection has a card that would fit your criteria, I believe.

It's a world-class 1953 Stahl-Meyer Franks Mickey Mantle, graded by PSA in MINT 9 condition. It's profound in every way. I was extremely fortunate to win it back in the late 80s in a Mr. Mint Alan Rosen auction.

Last year I published an E-book on a CD about the fascinating world of post-war regional / food issues. Entitled NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN, it's a 478-page book that you read on your computer screen. Formatted precisely as an open book, with an easy to read font, and bookmarks off to the side for quick navigation, it's a treasure trove of information and stories about these highly desirable sports cards and coins. I spent a great deal of time researching my subjects, including the aforementioned mint Stahl-Meyer Mantle, a card for which I have given the name, "The Maltese Falcon of Baseball Cards". Its backstory is very intriguing.

Over the years, several key hobby people granted me interviews, or we corresponded by mail, that were used to write my book. Among them were Lionel Carter, Larry Fritsch, Rob Lifson, Alan Rosen, Jim Cumpton, Jack Urban, George Husby, Clay Hill, Mark Hellman, and several others. Should you be interested in reading the press release my editor wrote, Google Search the title, Never Cheaper By the Dozen, and it will come right up. If you ever frequent SPORTS COLLECTORS DAILY, editor Rich Mueller loaded up chapters one and eight, concerning a MINT 1962 JELL-O Mickey Mantle unfolded box and the 1960 Home Run Derby set. No, I did not get the year wrong---read the chapter!

The book is by no means about my personal collection alone. For most of the chapters, I do not own a significant card or complete sets. If you have any interest in post-war regionals from the period 1947 - 1971, you really owe it to yourself to buy the book. It's not exhaustive; we have the Krause Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards for that. Rather, it's a fine selection with an in-depth look at those selected. Please don't weary me with questions about its availability in paper form. That's NOT going to happen.

Dr. Jim Beckett loved my book and its stories. I just received a humbling testimonial from a man who does not own a PC, but dearly wanted the book because he's interested in regionals. Do you know what he did? He took it to work with him and read it on his company's computers during his breaks and lunch period. Talk about commitment. He emailed me that he thoroughly enjoyed it.

If you read the press release, it details all you need to order. The price includes postpaid shipping, via first class mail.

Now let's see if any of you eagle-eyed passionate collectors are sharp enough to read this post, and act on it.

Have a good day and enjoy your weekend. ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

• Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

@totallyradd said:

When I got back into collecting cards, my primary focus was going to be collecting the entire Milwaukee Braves run. This card was going to obviously be the most pricey. It's iconic, and Hank Aaron is a legend in Milwaukee, only one who comes close is Robin Yount, and depending on the era you grew up, that's debatable.

I had saved up for this card and was trying to buy one for awhile, but there was never a well centered version I liked in my price range. Two summers ago I found this at the National, and after searching the floor for hours it was the best 6 at the Natty at the time, hands down. I had never made such a big purchase, so I was hesitant if I was making the right choice, but I went to the Natty just for that card, so I pulled the trigger. When I gave Jeff at Card Country my cash, I was shaking with excitement. It was a pretty great feeling to finally get my whale. I celebrated after with one of the best beers I ever had, and it was just a High Life or Budweiser. Ha. Here's a picture from when I bought it.

Great Story!!! This is what the hobby is all about!!

• Options

Love the Aaron and the story too. My 54 Aaron 2.5 is one of my favorite cards in my collection. I was the same as you and didn't want to spend a fortune, but wanted one that was well centered and presented well. I was able to accomplish that and love just sitting and looking at that card. I bet it made the trip to the national even more special!

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭✭

i have too many favorite cards....let me think....

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

totallyradd, that is a tremendous Aaron. He is indeed the greatest Milwaukee Brave ever.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2017 10:46AM
  • Options

Why do everyone else's pics look normal but mine still look like thumbnails??

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MantleFan23 said:

@totallyradd said:

Great Story!!! This is what the hobby is all about!!

Great story and Jeff is as good as they come in the hobby. Always has amazing inventory, and treats everyone first class. Have spent a few bucks with him over the years, and several of my best cards have come from him. I remember that Aaron card - sweet pickup.

• Options

The first card inducted into the Largentcollector HOF :) .

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Options

Tim - ive always liked that card. I remember you posting it before and how it looks so much better than the 3 it was given. Great eye appeal! I love the centering on it.

• Options
    edited February 4, 2017 10:47AM

My favorite card from my favorite set!

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    edited February 4, 2017 11:21AM

Great looking cards guys!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    muffinsmuffins Posts: 469 ✭✭✭

@thesouthdoesitagain said:
    If Bob (Begsu) was here, he most likely show us his Auto'ed 52 Mick.

had 3 cards faked by the mexican operation, so hasn't/haven't been posting scans much lately.

i do love that card, btw!