Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

New England Sports Cards

Now as I've said before I'm still pretty new to the scene but was wondering if this has been noticed or mentioned before. I did a search of the site and didn't see anything.

As my collecting evolves I've started looking closer at raw sets for commons that I could sub to complete sets that I'm working on. Because of this I stumbled across New England Sports Cards on eBay. At least for hockey they have sets of cards that look pack fresh but are all at least a little OC most would sit at a PSA 7 or less because of this.

So I googled them and it turns out that they have a website that is built and hosted by the same company as 4Sharp and they actually look nearly identical except for the color selection.

nesportscards.com/default.aspx

https://4sharpcorners.com/default.aspx

When you map out the locations they are in bordering towns in Mass not to far from each other. So I was wondering if it is known by anybody here if the two companies are related? I don't, but it would make sense if you are going to rip and sub as much as 4Sharp you are going to have a lot of leftovers that would not be worth submitting for grading and have to do something with them.

If this has been mentioned before please disregard I just must have missed it in my search of the forum.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin

Comments

• vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

I believe NESC sells all the stuff that 4SC doesn't sub or get the desired grade. I take this into consideration with anything I might buy from them. Many believe 4SC already gets preferential treatment on subs, justified or not, so I see NESC as a risk for raw buys, but sets is a little easier to stomach. That said, my few purchases from them have gone pretty smooth, but took a long time to ship, and while described as NM were all 6 or lower on submission. No shock...I don't really buy from them much if at all.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

Same company, yes just the leftovers. yes, don't expect more than a 6 on anything. I avoided 4SC for a long time, however have used them recently with much success. I live in MA and their office is probably 5 miles away from me. The online inventory has to be the biggest on EBay. Check out their non eBay web store. The prices are usually better.

• sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

@LOTSOS said:
    Now as I've said before I'm still pretty new to the scene but was wondering if this has been noticed or mentioned before. I did a search of the site and didn't see anything.

As my collecting evolves I've started looking closer at raw sets for commons that I could sub to complete sets that I'm working on. Because of this I stumbled across New England Sports Cards on eBay. At least for hockey they have sets of cards that look pack fresh but are all at least a little OC most would sit at a PSA 7 or less because of this.

So I googled them and it turns out that they have a website that is built and hosted by the same company as 4Sharp and they actually look nearly identical except for the color selection.

nesportscards.com/default.aspx

https://4sharpcorners.com/default.aspx

When you map out the locations they are in bordering towns in Mass not to far from each other. So I was wondering if it is known by anybody here if the two companies are related? I don't, but it would make sense if you are going to rip and sub as much as 4Sharp you are going to have a lot of leftovers that would not be worth submitting for grading and have to do something with them.

If this has been mentioned before please disregard I just must have missed it in my search of the forum.

Thanks,
    Kevin

Good detective work

On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks everyone.

I don't think I'll be buying anything from them unless I'm looking for a set to keep strictly raw. I've bought a fair amount from 4Sharp. For hockey at least you can pick up 8s and some 9s even for less then subbing the card on your own. They do price their 10's aggressively but by no means as crazy as some others on the bay. I have found that while they are a little slow on shipping everything arrives in as described condition.

@Dand522612 said:
    Same company, yes just the leftovers. yes, don't expect more than a 6 on anything. I avoided 4SC for a long time, however have used them recently with much success. I live in MA and their office is probably 5 miles away from me. The online inventory has to be the biggest on EBay. Check out their non eBay web store. The prices are usually better.

Whenever I buy from them it's always through their web store and not eBay. There "weekly" specials are almost always about 10% less.

Thanks again
    Kevin

Kevin

• MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

Very smart business model they have.

• bcubsbcubs Posts: 344 ✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2017 7:07PM

Where do they get all their inventory to continually submit to PSA? It seems they have an endless stream of pack fresh cards.

Appreciate today-

Bill

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you really take the time to look, it is possible to find some for sale that NESC that fell through the 4SC filters by accident, but it will most likely be commons that end up low pop/high grade and not stars and RC's. I've been lucky enough to spot a couple vintage hockey there on the cheap that ended up grading 9's (while they were commons, the 9 grades meant a pretty high value return), but finds like that at NESC are extremely few and far between even though they are technically possible.

• coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2017 5:23AM

@bcubs said:
    Where do they get all their inventory to continually submit to PSA? It seems they have an endless stream of pack fresh cards.

they win auctions for unopened items and open them all up....lots of vending boxes and wax boxes....just check this link

http://stores.ebay.com/New-England-Sports-Cards/_i.html?_nkw=wrapper++(empty)&submit=Search&_sid=135054626

and this is what they have sold
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=empty++bo&_ssn=newenglandsportscards&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=empty++box&_sacat=0

• OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2017 3:08PM

never mind on this post. excuse.

• mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

I buy a lot of dead centered commons from their ebay NES2. Many go on sale and $1 shipping for any number you buy. I enjoy building my 1970s complete sets to NM or better and dead centered. Yes, a bit more money, but sure beats digging through boxes at the limited amount of show in my area.

Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989