Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Someone Else To Avoid-Phil Apostle

Some of the older members will remember a person named Phil Apostle who used to be a part of the message boards. I had done business with Phil in the past and had no issues. Phil had gotten away from cards and was doing slide and negative restoration as a hobby/side business. I purchased a negative back in June from Ebay and contacted him about cleaning it up and having the lab he uses print me one up. He responded on 7/8 and let me know it was ready to ship. I finally get another response from him on 8/9 saying he had an 8 x 10 done and ready to ship along with a cd that contained the cleaned up image. This was stuff he said was on him and that there was no charge. I asked him if it could be made bigger and he said an 11 x 14 was not out of the question. I sent him $40 via Paypal on 8/10 to have an 11 x 14 printed and mounted and shipped back to me. Well here we sit one month later and he has fallen off the face of the earth. He won an auction as recently as 9/3 so the guy is still alive and has access to a computer. His ebay id is old_school_images so I would stay away if he starts selling again.

Comments

• Options
    I remember him from these boards. He sent a ridiculous pm to pandrews saying he hoped he'd get hit by a truck or something (I'm paraphrasing and could be completely wrong, but it was bad), then defended it saying he taught Sunday school and that his students thought he was an apostle. Then he left the boards. My guess is he'll end up in Super Hell.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "..My guess is he'll end up in Super Hell. "

//////////////////////////////

I am sorry that is going to happen to him.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034

<< <i>"..My guess is he'll end up in Super Hell. "

//////////////////////////////

I am sorry that is going to happen to him. >>

I'm sorry that you must feel this super sorrow.
    imageRIP
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    His user name on these boards was downgoesfrazier.
  • Options
    Yeah I don't think he comes around anymore. As I said I never had an issue before so I'm suprised he did this.

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭✭
    He did have some neat/unique images for sale. At one time he had a nice shot of Ron Kittle/Cal Ripken from the '83 All Star Game that I considered buying off him on eBay, but he was such a smack on this board that I didn't (thankfully).
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    He fell off the face of the earth when I wanted to buy an image from him about a year ago. I finally gave up. Then he suddenly contacted me after brianwintersfan told him I was looking for him. He said he never got my emails.

PM me his email address, Steve. I'll contact him and see if he replies.
  • Options
    I've never had any problems in any dealings with Phil. I know that he is very busy this time of year. I hope you hear from him soon.
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    I know Phil through these boards and it would be very surprising to me if he was trying to take your money. He is definitely a very opinionated guy and would certainly stir it up on the boards, but I believe him to be honest.

On a side note, the guy knows 77 Topps like nobody else...I hope you get ahold of him and work it out.
  • Options
    Well I understand he is busy but he also has the time to bid on items on Ebay so returning someone's email should not be that hard. Plus the fact that I did pay him for a service that only required him to send over the file to his photo lab. They drop ship from their location so this should have been done weeks ago.
  • Options

<< <i>I've never had any problems in any dealings with Phil. I know that he is very busy this time of year. I hope you hear from him soon. >>

Wasn't too 'busy' to takes BWfan's money two months ago......
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    He did have nice stuff but the guy is a total dope.
  • Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    If I remember right he lives in Illinois and I drive right through his small town everyday on my way to work. If you can get ahold of him I would be more than happy to stop and pick up your photo and make sure its mailed to you right away. just let me know
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve

Seems like a lot of delays - he should've just contacted you and said he had procrastinated or something - no excuse for being that slow; he runs an ebay business.

Phil may be controversial and stuff but he has a great eye for cards and as was said - knowledge - I just don't think he'ld screw ya for 40 bucks.

I'll bet he contacts you and you get the stuff he promised.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
    my 2 cents
    I purchased some photos from slides from him 2 different times and could not have been happier with the both transactions from start to finish
    Mike
    Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

<< <i>His user name on these boards was downgoesfrazier. >>

Yes, he turned into a complete fruitloop.
  • Options
    Well in spite of another member leaving him a phone message to contact me, Phil is still MIA. Paypal just refunded me my $40 I sent him but I am without the negative that I sent him to work on.
    Thanks for nothing jerk-off!

• Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    phil apostle is a lousy person.
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Funny thing is I really liked him as a poster here. He made good posts and his pictures were always great. I still have a couple hanging in my office. Then one day he made this post where he was saying he was smarter than everybody else here and blah, blah, blah.... I am paraphrasing but he didn't mince words. It was a little insulting to a dumb guy like me! image
  • Options

<< <i>Well in spite of another member leaving him a phone message to contact me, Phil is still MIA. Paypal just refunded me my $40 I sent him but I am without the negative that I sent him to work on.
    Thanks for nothing jerk-off!

image >>

Steve - I still think something happened here and has nothing to do with screwing this deal up.

If I were Phil - when I'm able, I would make the pic and send it to ya with the neg. - all at no charge.

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Steve - I still think something happened here and has nothing to do with screwing this deal up.

If I were Phil - when I'm able, I would make the pic and send it to ya with the neg. - all at no charge.

mike >>

Mike, if that was the case, then I don't know how to explain the fact that Phil is still active on ebay - as recently as this morning. Link

If that link doesn't work, just search completed listings with old_school_images as the buyer.

I emailed him last week when I heard that Steve was not getting responses. I inquired about purchasing another copy of an image I purchased from him a few months ago. I still haven't heard back from him, either. I may try to contact him through ebay to see if that gets a response.
  • Options
    rugbymarinerugbymarine Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭
    As many have said, Phil was the go-to-guy for '77 Topps. The cards were gorgeous. His posts were almost always informative and sometimes a little harsh.

That being said, he blocked me on eBay a couple years back. I forget the exact details, but I typed in a bid of $1000ish when I meant to bid $100.xx. The card sold for almost $200. After the auction, I informed him of my mistake and gladly offered to cover his listing and final value fees plus $5 for his trouble. He replied with a "Very unprofessional and you're not going to waste anymore of my time. You are not welcome to bid on my acutions anymore."

I did make a mistake, and he did not give me a negative.

Ian
  • Options

Ah philly phil, done many deals, trades, whatever with phil even went to his hitting center and took his tips. Imo he's tells it like it is and is a standup guy. At one time addicted to cardboard lol! Seriously though he has 4 kids all ages under 9 maybe monte punched him in the nose last week lol though not an excuse im sure things will work out they tend to get him sidetracked.

Favorite times with phil talking on the phone about 77 and 81 topps till his wife grabbed the phone out of his hands at 3 in the mornin. Picking up a 77 vending case from are buddy bbc running over to phils cracking a few boxes THEN after the chitown show he said lets go back to your hotel room and crack them 86 racks you bought lol. Just good times imo.

Please lmk if things dont workout I havent spoke with him in over a year.

Cheers, Gator

• Options
    after the chitown show he said lets go back to your hotel room

Did you get any?
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    i swear honey! we were opening baseball cards in his hotel room @ 3am!
    ·p_A·
  • Options

<< <i>after the chitown show he said lets go back to your hotel room

Did you get any? >>

That made me laugh out loud!
  • Options

<< <i>Ah philly phil, done many deals, trades, whatever with phil even went to his hitting center and took his tips. Imo he's tells it like it is and is a standup guy. At one time addicted to cardboard lol! Seriously though he has 4 kids all ages under 9 maybe monte punched him in the nose last week lol though not an excuse im sure things will work out they tend to get him sidetracked.

Favorite times with phil talking on the phone about 77 and 81 topps till his wife grabbed the phone out of his hands at 3 in the mornin. Picking up a 77 vending case from are buddy bbc running over to phils cracking a few boxes THEN after the chitown show he said lets go back to your hotel room and crack them 86 racks you bought lol. Just good times imo.

Please lmk if things dont workout I havent spoke with him in over a year.

Cheers, Gator >>

Well maybe he went over to the dark side as he refuses to answer numerous emails and voice mails from me and others. As I said the money is not the issue. He has something of mine that can't be replaced!
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>phil apostle is a lousy person. >>

Yup. He also dished out mass amounts of spam as evidenced on this board
  • Options

Cd's wouldnt expect anything less lol. Yes got some,,,,,,, 86 lenny in a 10 paid for the tab at gibsons!!!!!!!!

Yeah dunno but please lmk how this pans out hope he hasnt crossed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gator
  • Options
    ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2017 4:48AM

@OldSchoolImages said:
    ...............I'll start by offering a public and sincere apology.

Did you? Or did you start by refuting and minimizing all that was said about you, and then throw in a "oh, by the way, sorry"?

Public, yes. Sincere, probably not.

So many rock solid members (former and current) have spoke out against you in this thread, and my guess is that they can't all be wrong.

• Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

At least the apology was prompt.

• Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

It seems the events happened 8 years ago. Time to move on IMO.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Super Hell might not be so bad if Heaven is a place where nothing ever happens.

• Options

According to the Belinda Carlisle and the Go Go's, Heaven is a place on Earth

IMF

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

@Ironmanfan said:
    According to the Belinda Carlisle and the Go Go's, Heaven is a place on Earth

IMF

When they performed, yes, it was. ;)

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just looking at some of the old posts here and I didn't realize so many were banned.

• Options

This guy (Phil) is still around, but all these great members are banned?

Kinda like all the great musicians we lost in 2016....and Justin Beiber is still breathing. Something isn't right.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

@travis t said:
    When they performed, yes, it was. ;)

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

Wow. Didn't know that Matt had been bammed. One of the nicest guys ever to grace these boards.

Also noteworthy that Lee not only managed to get his main ID bammed, but also his nam812 alt. Color me impressed.

• Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2017 7:07AM

• Options

Just get JoeStalin and Vargha back and we have a hat trick.

Welcome back Phil.

Mike
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

@travis t said:
    Super Hell might not be so bad if Heaven is a place where nothing ever happens.

I must say I really like the saying super hell.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.