Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

89 Rickey Rookies

Didn't something similar to this come up for auction last year or the year before?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401234207763

Looking at the cards themselves, it doesn't seem like any would bump, pretty strong price for this lot thus far..

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.

Comments

• ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

The last few weeks, 8s have been selling for between $50-70. That is pretty consistent, with a few going high towards $100. Right now, the auction is sitting at about $47/card.

I'm curious how much further up this is going to go...

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last year I think it was 100. Maybe 11 of them bumped.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited December 8, 2016 3:28PM

The description should read....89 out of center 1980 Topps Rickey Henderson ROOKIE RC #482, ALL PSA 8 NM-MT (PWCC)

• StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

Some of those look like they need an "OC" on them??

• 1957Braves1957Braves Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would someone sell or want 89 of the same card?

• Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

@1957Braves said:
    Maybe I'm missing something, but why would someone sell or want 89 of the same card?

I was actually thinking the same thing earlier. I love the 1980 set and am actively building a PSA 10 set, but can't see why 89 PSA 8's would be needed unless you are the ultimate Henderson collector..it just seems like overkill.

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.

@Gemyanks10 said:

@1957Braves said:

I was actually thinking the same thing earlier. I love the 1980 set and am actively building a PSA 10 set, but can't see why 89 PSA 8's would be needed unless you are the ultimate Henderson collector..it just seems like overkill.

Exactly. Maybe those of us on the dealer side see value in purchasing in bulk then selling. Seems like it would take quite a while to go through 89 of the same card without depressing the value.

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would hate to be the grader and get close to a 100 examples of the same card and grade.

I do think long term that Rickey will continue to move up the ranks of the greatest players of all time.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

@1957Braves said:

Why buy? Because they're worth $5,000+. I think pretty much anyone would buy them. The only difference is the price we're willing to pay.

@mlbfan2 said:

@1957Braves said:

Why buy? Because they're worth $5,000+. I think pretty much anyone would buy them. The only difference is the price we're willing to pay.

I agree. They are valuable. My main point is that it selling in such a large lot, all the same grade, might limit the appeal to some buyers. Unless you plan to keep them, which is possible, you're buying to resell. I would think it would take some amount of time to sell them. Having $4500+ tied up in 89 of the same card is a daunting task to a small time collector like me. No right or wrong answer. Just conversation.