Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

100 Trillion Zimbabwe Notes

So what's up with these notes? I bought a pack of them back after they introduced the new Zimbabwe dollar, and I think I paid $200 for a pack of 50's and 100's. For both packs.

Just looked on ebay and noticed they are selling for $65 apiece.

What did I miss?
Buying Tennessee, southern National Bank Notes, large hype (I mean type) and now, grudgingly, coins.

Small-time dealer in our country's legal tender.

Never be haughty to the humble, or humble to the haughty.--- Jefferson Davis

Comments

• Options
    boimre1972boimre1972 Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    $65 each?? Wow, I bought five of them some years ago for like $15. I just gave one to a lady at work for her birthday. Hell of a gift!
    Mike
    Collecting small-size star notes.
    Mishawaka, IN
  • Options
    lettowlettow Posts: 80 ✭✭✭
    It is fueled by people who love a lot of zeroes.

Oh, and by people who have been scammed into believing there is going to be a universal currency re-set which will revalue the Zim or Vietnamese dong or the Iraqi dinar and they will reap millions.

A member of our church who believes this nonsense donated several million VN dong to the church. The finance committee asked me what they should do with them. I recommended handing them out as Sunday School bingo prizes.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought some last year for Christmas gifts. Kids always said they want to be billionaires and so

I just accommodated them. Now they don't have to wait for me to die and leave them my paltry

estate.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back around 2010 I bought a couple of these notes if I remember correctly, they were going for about $1-$2 each. I figured they'd still be worthless but a quick look on eBay recent sales shows a seller that had a listing of 150 notes @ $230 each and they sold them all in about 4 days, multiple buyers buying 20-30 each.

Then I found another auction where someone apparently paid $1,000 for just a single note

Am I missing something here? I mean I know the price of everything on the planet is suddenly inflated but has the whole world gone off its rocker? Sure wish I was buying bricks of them rather than a few single notes. THANKS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

I saw these bundles listed 6 years ago by Banknote World & wasn't impressed (around the same time or before this thread started).

They were overpriced then & even more overpriced now IMO. I hope i don't offend any of you who bought one but I'm just not a fan of hyperinflation notes (nor slick marketing by Banknote World). I do like Banknote World's videos (especially that young lady host) but all their common stock is higher priced than I'd ever be willing to pay. Lots of dealer stock (crap you see from China & just a few tough items) which is aimed at the armchair collectors who won't hunt down something collectible (or do the research IMO). [Sorry I happen to be quite opinionated & passionate about some things & this is one of the rants I've been holding back for a while]

You can do what you like with your money (& there's ebay sellers who believe that there's a sucker born every minute & will take advantage of that). I don't like it (I don't feel it's good for the hobby) but that's just the way the cookie crumbles, I guess. The sellers who bought these (& have been re-selling them for some time) have kept up the hyperbole, touting these as the highest denomination ever when Hungary holds that dubious distinction with the Pengo (I believe).

SAVE YOUR MONEY (buy something that tough or rarer)

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

PT Barnum put it best, IIRC.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recall seeing packs of those at a local dealer when they were first available. They aren't rare.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@291fifth said:
    I recall seeing packs of those at a local dealer when they were first available. They aren't rare.

• I see them all the time (eBay & auctions). I wouldn't even call them tough. Instead, they remind me of the Banknotes of the World series & other gimmicks that have come & gone. I actually feel sorry for anyone who has bought one (TBH) except that its quite obvious that whoever did- doesn't really care that much about researching (or finding out what is valuable) like I was with coins. Banknote World has done an incredible job on marketing them though. It also makes me wary of banknotes from Bermuda (which were so cheap just a few years ago before Banknote World started jacking up their prices). I will wait till the dust settles to pick up a few I suppose.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2022 5:19AM

As I understand it, the Zimbabwe 100 Trillion dollar notes are the largest denomination banknote that shows the denomination in numbers.

Other higher denomination notes show it in text.

In any case, I also bought a few of these (3) years ago for a few dollars each. Maybe I should sell one. :p

I'm sure they have been hyped, but that does not fully explain their value. I've never heard of Banknote World and I am sure most buyers on ebay haven't, either.

I only regret that I never bought a few AU condition ones to carry around in my wallet for conversation pieces.

• Options

Banknote World (with 227 Zimbabwe products) now selling the "RARE" Zimbabwe 100 T note for a mere $393.59 each! No surprise. What a Bargain!

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's just another form of notgeld, IMO

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought about 20 of these 10-12 years ago for $5 ea. Kept a couple and sold the rest at coin club meetings for $7-$8, so what I have were basically free. Maybe it's time to sell. Should have kept the all

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2022 12:04PM

@Oldhoopster said:
    I bought about 20 of these 10-12 years ago for $5 ea. Kept a couple and sold the rest at coin club meetings for $7-$8, so what I have were basically free. Maybe it's time to sell. Should have kept the all

@Staircoins said:
    PT Barnum put it best, IIRC.

These are the same people that buy dogecoin. lol

• Options

I also bought one shortly after they came out for a couple dollars. It's interesting to see the current fad around them. I wish I had bought more than one!

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought my Ten Billion Dollar example just a tad before things got completely out of hand…

• Options
    JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought one of these in uncirculated condition about 6-7 years ago for $15. A year later, I realized it was likely a fad (thinking about the Saddam Iraqi 10,000 notes I had paid $15 each for and lost money on when they were worth $2 each a couple years later) so I figured I would resell it before it was worth $2. Before I decided to resell it I did a quick eBay search and saw them selling for between $30-$35 each. I was kind of surprised so I decided to ask $30 for mine to see if maybe I could get that. I was going to be happy just to get my $15 back. Turns out I got $30.

A few years later I did an eBay search to see if they finally crashed to $2 each but was shocked to see them bringing $60-$75. Then as time went on I saw them go to $100 then $150 and now nearly $200 each!

Makes me wish I kept that one I had and resold it now. I still think in a few years they will be a few dollars each again, I don’t see them staying this high.

It’s also interesting that the lower (not just the 100 trillion) denominations are also very expensive. When these first came out I think I had almost a complete set minus the top two (the 100 and 50 trillion) missing. I had ten trillion and under all the way down to their 1 dollar note. I paid like $9 for that set. I bet those would bring a lot more today even without the 100 and 50 trillion notes which I know are the key notes.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2022 1:17PM

@lettow said:
    It is fueled by people who love a lot of zeroes.

Oh, and by people who have been scammed into believing there is going to be a universal currency re-set which will revalue the Zim or Vietnamese dong or the Iraqi dinar and they will reap millions.

A member of our church who believes this nonsense donated several million VN dong to the church. The finance committee asked me what they should do with them. I recommended handing them out as Sunday School bingo prizes.

They probably should ask you for the difference in lost funds since your advisement was completely wrong.

Most of the people who laugh at this currency or any thought of revaluation don't even realize they are in a ponzi scheme in their own current stock exchange, bonds, and other fake fiat-based manipulated garbage. It's all a facade and our own US government has been corrupt and complicit in the takedown of other national currencies for years. The better questions should be, how can you see it happen over and over again within fake wars, yet you continue to look the other way?...or does it make sense to you to call it a scam purely because you didn't want to do any research at all?

Once the dollar falls, they all will be forced to reset because weighting against the usd means it is DOA. Once exposed and/or proven the markets are corrupted, the games will be over and currencies go 1:1 backed by Gold.

PleaseWakeUp

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want some of whatever @secretstash is smoking….

• Options
    element159element159 Posts: 494 ✭✭✭

@Steve_in_Tampa said:
    I want some of whatever @secretstash is smoking….

I don't know, it seems that it makes one paranoid.

• Options

We see comments like this all the time from the crypto people. Just watch some of their Youtube videos. Everyone who pushes crypto are usually heavily invested (& periodically troll hobby sites like ours).