Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How Many 1980 Topps Basketball Cases Out There?

I know there was a thread about a year or so ago about how many 1986 Fleer cases were out there--none it seems.

Anyone have any guesses on how many 1980 Topps basketball cases are out there? I have never seen 1 for sale or in a collection. With the recent explosion in the wax boxes (now going for over $8K/per)--was wondering if we will ever see a case for sale. It would fetch well over $100K. 3 years ago boxes were going for $1,000

Now that I think about it--I do not think I have ever seen a 1980 basketball wax box FASC. Has anyone?

Comments

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭
    I have not seen a case.
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Ashamed to admit I have an emptied one. Refilled with children's books.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would imagine there may be a few out there. Hard to say for sure though.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    I've never seen one and wished Reed would've found one on that trip where he threw out on 79' Topps Baseball Case due to water damage! The guy had a receipt with 80 Topps Basketball on it but a case wasn't present on the buy! Think maybe at that time, they were $4k a box and would've been sweet to get one FASC and then watch it double now!
  • Options
    That BBCE buy was pretty damn amazing and I'm hoping there are more out there like that.
  • Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recall two cases listed on eBay out of Texas about 15 years ago. Neither were sealed though, so I am sure those are 48 of the boxes floating around the hobby now. They were asking $24,000 per case back then.
  • Options
    That really was a great purchase....wish we could've did a break on the 82' Topps Traded Baseball case! Maybe he'll get another big purchase like that again!
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    I've always felt the Bird/Magic was very underpriced in comparison to the Jordan, and the lack of unopened out there is another reason. It's so much rarer than the Jordan. And a rookie card with 2 icons on it is so cool. But as time goes on, I'm realizing Jordan will always be in a world of his own in terms of popularity and every collector will want his RC, while the Bird/Magic is a card only certain collectors are chasing

From the PSA pop report:

Graded Jordans 14,482
    Graded Bird/Magics 5,817

PSA 9 Jordan 2,446
    PSA 9 Bird/Magic 524

PSA 10 Jordan 260
    PSA 10 Bird/Magic 19

Plus you still see many more unopened boxes out there of the 86F than the 80/81T. I just think that Bird/Magic card is so underrated....
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ClockworkAngel
    I've always felt the Bird/Magic was very underpriced in comparison to the Jordan, and the lack of unopened out there is another reason. It's so much rarer than the Jordan. And a rookie card with 2 icons on it is so cool. But as time goes on, I'm realizing Jordan will always be in a world of his own in terms of popularity and every collector will want his RC, while the Bird/Magic is a card only certain collectors are chasing

From the PSA pop report:

Graded Jordans 14,482
    Graded Bird/Magics 5,817

PSA 9 Jordan 2,446
    PSA 9 Bird/Magic 524

PSA 10 Jordan 260
    PSA 10 Bird/Magic 19

Plus you still see many more unopened boxes out there of the 86F than the 80/81T. I just think that Bird/Magic card is so underrated....

Anyone born prior to 1980 will always see the greatness in some of the past legends. Anyone born after 1980 will generally only see the greatness in Jordan and skip over so many great players.

The beauty of the Jordan card is it will continue to raise the prices of all the other basketball cards similar to the Mantle in baseball.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.