Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Republica De Cuba 1870 Un Peso Moneda Provisional

A couple year ago I picked up these two foil impressions in a group of coins. I was never able to figure out their origin or even if these are something that have any value.

Each is a pair of foil impressions from the obverse and reverse, which may or may not have been created from the original coins (which are very rare). They were combined using some sort of black, or clear, adhesive. Each weighs less than a copper US cent.

I have a small auction tag that I believe accompanied these two foil impressions (I don't remember if it actually came with these or not). However, I don't have access to the auction catalog to check.

The auction tag reads:

Lot: 114
Sale: 10 Feb 88

Christie's
502 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10022

Does anyone have any information on these two "coins" or have access to a catalog from this auction? It would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• mudskippiemudskippie Posts: 540 ✭✭
    Sorry I don't have the information that you requested. I just want to say i really like the design, and I was amazed that foils can capture so much details! These are cool!
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a clue, either, but it's neat.

And if it was sold by Christie's, then surely it must be something, right?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • MedalCollectorMedalCollector Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the comments! I will have to keep searching.
  • My best guess is that is a fantasy piece ... there was no Republic of Cuba yet
  • WeissWeiss Posts: 9,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CyberspaceVoid
    My best guess is that is a fantasy piece ... there was no Republic of Cuba yet

NGC lists 1870 pieces in several denominations. All very rare. Here's one piece that is up for sale at Goldberg's within the next 24 hours.

Cuba. Copper Pattern 20 Centavos, 1870. KM-Pn3a. Republic.Provisional Coinage. Copper. 4.67g. Arms. Rev. Value. Lacking proof surface but with some original redness. Rare, only 40 specimens struck. NGC graded Extremely Fine, Details (Environmental Damage). Estimated Value $1,250 - 1,500

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • This might explain your coin ...... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Years'_War
    possible "revolutionary coinage"
  • RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭
    The ticket is for another coin. Lot 114 was an Austrian Thaler of 1621, ex mount in fine. There is nothing in the catalogue to indicate these two things were from that sale. They may have formed part of a bulk lot e.g. lot 388 was an unspecified number of world coins in very good to uncirculated. The only other option would be lot 309 which was 43 Mexican, Spanish and S. American coins, mostly from the 19th century.

I can't see why these would be accorded any special status as they are nothing official and could be produced by anyone in possession of the original in as large a quantity as they wanted.
  • MedalCollectorMedalCollector Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for taking the time to look that up, Rob. I've never bought an Austrian Thaler, so it must have simply been used to hold these pieces or something else that I bought.