Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1986 Jordan sticker...recent price increase?

I was looking to purchase a 1986 Fleer Jordan sticker in PSA 8 or so. Saw that recent ones have sold around $550, but on eBay they were around $300 a month or two ago. Anyone know why these might have almost doubled in price in the last couple of months?

Thanks.

Comments

• OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    probably because his rookie card prices have gone up and are out of reach of most collectors, so it is the next option
  • Yanksfan39Yanksfan39 Posts: 33 ✭✭
    Well, a PSA 8 sticker just hit $630 with 14 minutes to go, and the same seller sold a PSA 8 for $449 10 days ago so...wow.
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭✭
    There is a thread on the board now talking about how several early Jordan cards appear to be having their prices manipulated by a group of sellers. The 1986 Fleer Sticker in PSA 9 appears to be one of these cards. With the increase in some of the higher grade cards, you are right that it appears that the rising tide seems to lifting the PSA 8 boat along with it.
    Steve
    Hi Steve,

I suspect you're right. No other obvious reason I can think of for a greater than doubling in sales price of a 30 year old card in a month. I guess I'll just be watching this one for now. Was interested in the last couple of months, and when I took a look today I was quite surprised to see the change in recent sales prices. And with so relatively few of these cards out there, it would be easy to manipulate the "market."

As I look at prior eBay sales, it looks like this card was selling for around $250-300 in PSA 8. Then between 4/27/16 and 4/30/16, someone decided that they wanted to pay $550 for this card, and now several have sold in that price range, up to $630 today. Though this could all be perfectly legit, smells fishy.
  • slum22slum22 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭✭
    PSA 9's for the sticker were going consistently in the $700-800 range as recently as late April. They tripled into the $2000 range in less than two weeks.
    Steve
  • ndleondleo Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The recent price spikes across the board on key RCs from every sport has slowed down my buying. It's getting tough for me to justify buying any more cards that I want.
    Mike
    Mike,

The part that particularly bothers me is the sense that the market, at least for this Jordan sticker, appears to be getting completely manipulated. It very well may be present for other cards as well, but I haven't seen the auction data.
  • addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭
    The PSA 10 Jordan sticker use to go for 4-5k now it's 10-15k. That alone will up the $ 8's & 9's for crackouts and bump reviews.
  • tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭
    Makes me cringe knowing how much they go for now, when in 1986 I had three wrapped around Bic lighters.

Originally posted by: Yanksfan39
    Mike,

The part that particularly bothers me is the sense that the market, at least for this Jordan sticker, appears to be getting completely manipulated. It very well may be present for other cards as well, but I haven't seen the auction data.

At one point, I had enough budget get a PSA 9 1972 Erving, PSA 9 1975 Brett or a PSA 8 1979 OPC Gretzky. While never cheap, I could be patient and shop around for a card with the eye appeal I wanted. That was only about 12-18 months ago.

Now I see cards were inferior eye appeal going for double my previously generous budget. I don't think the cards are any rarer than before and it seems like the same amount of cards come to auction every week.

Mike
  • shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    "Now I see cards were inferior eye appeal going for double my previously generous budget. I don't think the cards are any rarer than before and it seems like the same amount of cards come to auction every week"

it's a mad world out there. We were prob looking at many of the same cards and I fortunately picked up a bunch of those big ones I wanted in the last 18 mos, but didn't get all and ones like that Gretzky now going for $3K and over just punch me in the gut a little. still on the fence whether I bite the bullet or not. I think there are just many more buyers, plus more people buying multiples of the same card (in addition to a lot of other factors why these classic cards have gone up so much)
    Originally posted by: shu4040
    "Now I see cards were inferior eye appeal going for double my previously generous budget. I don't think the cards are any rarer than before and it seems like the same amount of cards come to auction every week"

it's a mad world out there. We were prob looking at many of the same cards and I fortunately picked up a bunch of those big ones I wanted in the last 18 mos, but didn't get all and ones like that Gretzky now going for $3K and over just punch me in the gut a little. still on the fence whether I bite the bullet or not. I think there are just many more buyers, plus more people buying multiples of the same card (in addition to a lot of other factors why these classic cards have gone up so much)

Yup, I was the second highest bidder on a lot of those cards that came up for auction. Prices started creeping up about 9 months ago and never looked back. I was thinking about going down a notch to PSA 7/8 for those cards, but $1100+ for a PSA 7 OPC Gretzky doesn't seem like a smart purchase.

Mike