Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1993 SP Jeter Auctions

I have a Jeter SP 1993 RC 279 in front of PSA right now and as far as I can tell it should come back 9-10. Any idea what the best avenue is to auction this and what current prices look like?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: cg471
    I have a Jeter SP 1993 RC 279 in front of PSA right now and as far as I can tell it should come back 9-10. Any idea what the best avenue is to auction this and what current prices look like?

Thanks

Current Prices
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may be an expert grader and if so perhaps you are spot on but generally be prepared on this card to be disappointed in the grade you receive. Good luck with the results and post your grade when you get it.

• Options
    Will do. Short story is that I got it as a kid, threw it in a mylar sleeve and a hard case and forgot about it for 20 years...we'll see.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: LarkinCollector

Thanks

Current Prices

Why does the PSA 9 Jeter sell for so much more than the BGS 9. I've seen both live and they seem to be pretty comparable. Even a BGS will all 9 subgrades sells for less than a PSA 9.
    Mike
  • Options
    Originally posted by: ndleoWhy does the PSA 9 Jeter sell for so much more than the BGS 9.

Min Size
  • Options
    I know I sound like a broken record but PSA is king and the spread in prices of so many cards just continue to widen. When you have 90% market share and the vast majority of the highest priced cards in the world reside in your holders it influences market forces.

• Options
    Trimola? Makes sense.
    Mike
  • Options
    bobmoatbobmoat Posts: 257 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: Dpeck100

I know I sound like a broken record but PSA is king and the spread in prices of so many cards just continue to widen. When you have 90% market share and the vast majority of the highest priced cards in the world reside in your holders it influences market forces.

Trend is going the other way.

Search "2015 bgs" and "2015 psa" in cards. Almost 2x as many BGS cards for sale.

Better divest!
  • Options
    CLCT is a public company. Try again bobmoat.

• Options
    Do you disagree that there are 2x more 2015 BGS cards on eBay right now than 2015 PSA cards?

If you accept facts, do you believe that's a coincidence? Or maybe BGS is doing better than PSA reports them to be doing.
  • Options
    I didn't bother to look and it could easily be true for 2015. It certainly isn't for most years. In terms of facts. I think the SEC would have a problem with them misstating their market share. It is in their investor slide presentations and official press releases.
  • Options
    I wasn't saying anything about sale prices. That's highly complex. Volume is where dpeck is mistaken.
  • Options
    I know its a case of "the squeaky wheel gets the oil" (or something like that), but I have never heard of anyone getting a better grade on this card than they were hoping for.

If you think it's a 9 or 10, best not be disappointed if its a 7 or 8. You may be spot on, but the TPGs grade this particualr card very very harshly.

Best of luck and please let us know how it does.

As for best avenue... I think the PWCC would be great for this card that way it gets into the hands of a reputable dealer and is on eBay for everyone to see. This card would do great with them, imo.

Current T206 Needs: (Updated 9/11/17)

LaJoie Portrait 3+, Cy Young Bare Hand 3+

Ty Cobb Bat Off 4+, ANY Red & Green Portrait

• Options
    Was the 90% figure disputed somewhere? I didn't see that.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: ndleo
    Trimola? Makes sense.

Possibly that too, but a lot are just factory short, outside PSA tolerance, but within Beckett.
  • Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    I don't get it.
  • Options
    "Trend is going the other way.

Search "2015 bgs" and "2015 psa" in cards. Almost 2x as many BGS cards for sale."

I decided to check this out.

2015 PSA = 5303
    2015 BGS = 7075
    But
    2015 PSA auto = just 780 with a good % cut cards.
    2015 BGS auto = 3269! 4X as many

But wait, hold on, didn't PSA just start dual grading? Let's revisit this thread in a year
    and compare 2016 PSA vs BGS!
  • Options
    The price isn't $25.
  • Options
    12,378 cards graded combined.

PSA grades in the neighborhood of 1.6 million cards per year.

You can't be serious. This is just business. I get it so many SGC holders are upset about the spreads blowing out so much. I get it that BGS had PSA on the ropes years ago and blew it. The numbers are the numbers.

• Options
    $35. $25 is without an auto grade.
  • Options
    Sucks to be wrong?
  • Options
    "I get it that BGS had PSA on the ropes years ago and blew it. The numbers are the numbers."

The pre-BVG beckett was great and very comparable in grading standard. The slab was far superior to PSA and the sub grades shed light on why they graded that way.
    Once BVG took over the comparable standard dropped for nm and under cards. I have had success crossing 8's though.

The OP is talking about the future in card grading though, and they are not making more vintage cards. (Unless they were found at an estate sale and sold as a reprint, but looks old)

I've never submitted a modern card for dual grading but the PSA web site says it Fees do start at $25. Since PSA just started the service, fees should become in-line with demand.
    Plus monthly specials are sure to follow.
  • Options
    Guys there is nothing to argue about. PSA realizes part of the price is branding and they have done a wonderful job. They also realize mistakes happen and sometimes a card isn't graded properly. At the end of the day though they have carved out a niche and helped turn trading cards and other types of sports memorabilia into investments and the market prices reflect that. It is that simple.
  • Options
    Who is arguing?

There's a certain number of cards from each grader on eBay.

There's a price for card grading and auto authentication.

There's a price for dual grading.

Those things are like saying the sky is blue; it's not in dispute.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: bobmoat
    I wasn't saying anything about sale prices. That's highly complex. Volume is where dpeck is mistaken.

Mistaken? That is the supposed argument. There is nothing to argue about as I said. The numbers are the numbers.

• Options
    you can be wrong in the course of a non-argument
  • Options
    Nothing I have said is wrong. I never state facts that aren't facts. We can all disagree on grades, or the direction of a card or box or the market but I am not mistaken about anything in relation to PSA's business statistics as I have quoted. I honestly gave you more credit at first. I thought you were the ALT of a every experienced collector. That is where I was wrong.

• Options
    Try again dpeck
  • Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

Are they defining market share in terms of units or revenue?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: vols1

Are they defining market share in terms of units or revenue?

Units is my understanding. I am not certain if he is still a member here but dbcoin followed the total number of cards graded by PSA meticulously when he used to comment here. If you go to the CLCT Yahoo Finance board he is dbtunr and posts quite frequently. One of his more recent posts shows that CLCT had graded 191,000 cards with two days to go in March. A record month. I tried looking for the slideshow presentation that he posted when this issue was discussed in the past but can't find it so far. When I first joined the boards PSA was in the 85% range and of course when I said it many didn't believe. Well it only grew. The least scientific approach one could take to this is just a quick search using the word PSA or BGS on EBAY. PSA 608,300 BGS 125,565. This equals just under 83%. At one point BGS and PSA were neck and neck so there are quite a few cards that were graded by BGS from seven plus years ago and skewing this some. Whether people like it or not PSA just took over the market. I remember in 2013 when I was at the National and the line for PSA was a mile long, BGS you could walk right up and SGC there were only two people sitting there twiddling their thumbs. None of us set the prices and the market continues to speak. PSA cards are bringing drastically more in so many cases. The guys across the street are broken hearted when the PSA graded examples crush the SGC and they still can't figure out why. In my view the smarter money saw this trend and adjusted to it years ago. The one area BGS still wins in price in many cases is the pristine grade and year after year the spread seems to narrow. I would be curious what the Jordan BGS 10 would bring these days. The last time we saw one posted it went for just under 70k. In the universe I collect PSA 9's bring more then BGS 9.5's by a large margin in most cases. If they were viewed equally or in some bizarre case more favorably this wouldn't be the case. It is what it is.
  • Options
    That really escalated quickly..

Haha. I feel like I'm getting a crash course on this. Now I really hope it comes back at a 9 or I'll feel silly.
  • Options
    That really escalated quickly..

Haha. I feel like I'm getting a crash course on this. Now I really hope it comes back at a 9 or I'll feel silly.

Welcome to the jungle... image
  • Options
    I have a very noob question. When you send to PSA, do they email you with a tracking number when it is coming back, or do they just send it? I have had it out for a week.
  • Options

The quality of the three companies is of equal value, in my opinion, the main difference being the size of the universe they individually inhabit. PSA took the industry lead for two distinct reasons. First, their leading demographic (wax era vintage) was both readily available and popular as the children of that time period reached a point of greater disposable income and time. Secondly, and probably of equal or more importance, they created a registry that was instantly popular and ran with it. Their holder was never more secure, their grading never more rigid. They did, however, appear in the right place at the right time and marketed it brilliantly. David is absolutely right. Both the market share and realized prices clearly indicate PSA's steep lead in the industry. Bob has a fair point, however, as well. PSA and SGC have carve niches in finite commodities, while BGS is clearly the most popular TPG in the modern community - which is far from limited. BGS, much like PSA, was in the right place at the right time as modern exploded from 2010-2012. Beckett is in a great position to take a larger of market going forward, if they are able to capitalize on on the foothold they've created. Yes David, in your universe, PSA both outsell and and have a far greater population, but ignoring others is short-sighted.
  • Options
    I have a very noob question. When you send to PSA, do they email you with a tracking number when it is coming back, or do they just send it? I have had it out for a week.

You'll get an email with tracking info.
  • Options
    A few years ago Beckett Media's owner sued the previous owner (another private equity fund at the time, not Dr. Beckett) for hiding the losses at Beckett Media.

Beckett's main business is still price guides and how many of us still use Beckett? I subscribe to the Football Monthly to keep up on products and reading on the throne, but for pricing I use other sources.

As for BGS's strength in modern, I believe the market size is much smaller than the one PSA owns. There are only certain modern cards that tend to get graded, not many people are grading modern commons. Beckett had something with the BVG subgrades and they gave that up to chase volume.
    Mike
  • Options
    A few years back when this topic was discussed I did some research on Beckett and found that yes indeed their primary source of revenue is selling magazines. I also found that their distribution totals had collapsed in the neighborhood of 80%. Obviously they have attempted to go to a digital subscription so perhaps some of that lost revenue was regained. That said the ownership structure has changed several times and they lost a huge amount of market share to PSA. Clearly there are cards and sets that attract strong prices and interest and especially insert basketball sets in their holders. Many will openly state they prefer their holder to PSA's. With that said the market forces have driven a huge gap in price between cards graded by PSA vs. BGS in so many cases. One of the major issues they have with growth is that the total production of trading cards is down so much with the manufactures attempting to create scarcity that there is simply less new cards to even grade. Having a stronger position in the modern department sounds good but the market opportunity is just so much smaller. In the past year I took the time one day to add up every graded wrestling card in the PSA population totals and it was just over 20,000. On PSA's site today it states they have graded 26.2 million cards to date. The entire graded wrestling card market is a rounding error in the totals and I don't base my opinions on such a tiny segment. I actually enjoy following the card market and spend a lot of time perusing through EBAY listings and final sales and it is just incredibly obvious that PSA not only grades dramatically more cards but achieves substantially higher prices in so many segments of the market. If you look at completed sales of the Derek Jeter that kicked this thread off I see a PSA 9 that sold in February for the same price that BGS 9.5 did this month. That is a massive difference. When you look at the 1986 Fleer Basketball set. It isn't even close. A Dominque Wilkens BGS 10 recently sold for $8,000 and PSA 10 examples have sold for more then that in the past. The Magic Johnson and Larry Bird rookie recently sold for $40,000 in a PSA 10, $18,100 in a SGC 98, and $12,500 in a BVG 9.5. This is the market talking not me. I am just stating the obvious.
  • Options
    See name image Before pounding. Have fun image

The below is my experience with anything 1993 SP Baseball. Including the min size Jeter which was rejected by PSA twice and then accepted by Beckett.

• Options
    So I got a delivery confirmation. Another noob question. Does it matter what it was insured for by PSA and what they charged you?
  • Options
    ok thanks...supposed to be here tomorrow. I will post the results.
  • Options
    If you create an account you can log in and see your order and the grades if the cards are supposed to be delivered tomorrow.
  • Options
    You paid for walk through service? Uh oh.
  • Options
    any idea where to find the reference number and where to look it up on the site?
  • Options
    got it...was graded at an 8
  • Options
    More noob questions... So if I submit a card and value it at $499, with an $18 regular submission, and the card ends up being worth $10,000, will PSA charge me additional fees?

• Options
    Originally posted by: Rocknroll
    More noob questions... So if I submit a card and value it at $499, with an $18 regular submission, and the card ends up being worth $10,000, will PSA charge me additional fees?

They'll contact you, occasionally bump the service level price, but definitely give you an option to upgrade the return insurance value.
  • Options
    got it...was graded at an 8

Recent selling prices for this card in a PSA 8 are $170 to $209.

• Options
    Originally posted by: LarkinCollector

Originally posted by: Rocknroll

They'll contact you, occasionally bump the service level price, but definitely give you an option to upgrade the return insurance value.

Thanks, Lark. I'm hoping this happens. image