Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

A Head Scratcher!

How did this card not get a qulifying grade(ST or PD)? Second why would anyone want this card, much less pay this kind of money. A head scratcher for sure!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-Fleer-36-Oscar-Robertson-PSA-7-RC-Centered-/401007779436?hash=item5d5ded1e6c:g:v4cAAOSwI-BWFsXx

Comments

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

I saw that too. Astounding. It is a shame because it is otherwise a very nice card. I am generally not one to make comments disparaging a card as being overgraded as I believe grading is subjective and many cards can generally fall within a range of possible grade outcomes... But, good god, what happened when that card was graded? Did that somehow happen after getting slabbed?

Steve
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure the submitter requested no qualifiers.

• Options

Originally posted by: lawnmowerman I'm sure the submitter requested no qualifiers.

I didn't think of this. That is a very good point and might explain it. Nevertheless, that is not just a few stray print dots or even printer lines that plague some cards (especially in this set). I know for registry purposes a qualifier is equivalent to a 2 grade drop but it still seems like 7 is a bit generous even if everything else was mint with the card.

Steve
  • Options

Originally posted by: slum22
    Originally posted by: lawnmowerman I'm sure the submitter requested no qualifiers.
    I didn't think of this. That is a very good point and might explain it. Nevertheless, that is not just a few stray print dots or even printer lines that plague some cards (especially in this set). I know for registry purposes a qualifier is equivalent to a 2 grade drop but it still seems like 7 is a bit generous even if everything else was mint with the card.

I agree. The t/b centering coupled with the lower right corner makes it an 8 in my mind. Add in the defects then it drops to a 6.

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

I always thought that even if we request no qualifiers PSA assigns one to cards, such as this one, where there is a noticeable defect.

• Options

Originally posted by: MULLINS5
    I always thought that even if we request no qualifiers PSA assigns one to cards, such as this one, where there is a noticeable defect.

I'm not sure about that. If they do that, it defeats the purpose of having the no qualifiers option and doesn't make sense to me.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    me thinks somehow that one slipped through the cracks.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

Originally posted by: lawnmowerman
    I'm not sure about that. If they do that, it defeats the purpose of having the no qualifiers option and doesn't make sense to me.

From PSA's website:

"Q: Can I request “No Qualifiers” on my submission?
    A: You can make this request and it could mean that the original grade may lower. Also, while you may request no qualifiers on your submission, it is up to the discretion of our graders to determine if the qualifier can be removed. The qualifier can not be left off in all instances and no refund will be given if we determine that we can not remove the qualifier."

Would be interested in hearing from people who have had a card receive a qualifier despite asking for it. I think this has happened to me before and will check my submissions later today.

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If that slipped through the cracks who was the grader? Stevie Wonder?
  • Options

From PSA's website: "Q: Can I request “No Qualifiers” on my submission? A: You can make this request and it could mean that the original grade may lower. Also, while you may request no qualifiers on your submission, it is up to the discretion of our graders to determine if the qualifier can be removed. The qualifier can not be left off in all instances and no refund will be given if we determine that we can not remove the qualifier." Would be interested in hearing from people who have had a card receive a qualifier despite asking for it. I think this has happened to me before and will check my submissions later today.

Interesting. Thanks for clarifying that.

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭
    This card is within $100 of the average VCP and what the last 7 sold for. That is as much a mystery as the missed grade.
  • Options
    I think VCP is lagging a little with most of the big 4 1961 RCs. The Robertson, West, Baylor and especially the Wilt have been very thinly traded over the past couple years in grades 7 and higher (especially grades above 7). I am surprised the recent PWCC sale didn't get higher action but I think the scan might have caused lower bid action as the card sat a little tilted in the holder and the top edge and top right corner did not look straight. The "high end" card that sold for $661 on 10/1 had one of the strangest cuts I have ever seen. In fact, of the five completed sales that show up on eBay search for sold cards, not one looked full size with normal, straight cuts on all the edges.
    Steve
  • Options
    Ended up selling for $640. IMO it is a strong price for that card.
    Steve
  • Options
    dberk12dberk12 Posts: 399 ✭✭

Originally posted by: hyperchipper09 If that slipped through the cracks who was the grader? Stevie Wonder?

LMAO! Seriously, how can that slip through the cracks?

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options

From PSA's website:

"Q: Can I request “No Qualifiers” on my submission?
    A: You can make this request and it could mean that the original grade may lower. Also, while you may request no qualifiers on your submission, it is up to the discretion of our graders to determine if the qualifier can be removed. The qualifier can not be left off in all instances and no refund will be given if we determine that we can not remove the qualifier."

Would be interested in hearing from people who have had a card receive a qualifier despite asking for it. I think this has happened to me before and will check my submissions later today.

I was under the belief that if the graders felt the card could not be assigned an accurate grade without a qualifier and the submitter requested no qualifiers the card would not be slabbed. Hence the "no refund" statement. Could be wrong though.
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought that requesting NQ might avoid having OC or PD, but not all qualifiers are created equal, and that something like MK and/or ST was going to be on the flip regardless of a request for NQ. I'd expect less leniency w/ MC than OC or PD as well.