Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What was the last card you acquired to complete a set?

I am building a 1971 Topps set and am wondering what that last card will be.

Back in 1975, the last card I needed was Rich Auerbach. I found one torn in half on the sidewalk. I taped it together and my set was complete. I still have that tape repaired card.

Just this year, I completed the 1955 Topps set with Hank Bauer as the final piece.

Let's hear some more set completion stories!
Daniel

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am now down to needing Charlie Hough #71 to complete my 75 mini set in PSA 8 or better grade and have two very nice raw examples to submit this month to PSA.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Funny how I can remember one from over 20 years ago.

When Rookie Sensations were hot as hell, my son and I decided to complete the base Fleer set.

The last card we purchased to finish the set was #435 Pete Harnisch. And we found it at a flea market set up on Ft. Gordon.

Mike
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in 1974, the last card I needed to complete the baseball set was Jim Campanis. I must have gotten 11 Merv Rettenmund traded cards trying to find one. Finally wrote a letter to Topps and they actually sent it!

More recently, the last card I needed to finish my Wacky Packages series 1 registry set was Camals:

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭✭
    Back in 1976 I put a set together out of packs; it took me until September but the last card I needed was John Balaz (Angels)

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    markmacmarkmac Posts: 412 ✭✭✭
    My last card to complete my 1971 set was Manny Sanguillen. Not sure why.
  • Options
    natetrooknatetrook Posts: 611 ✭✭✭
    1954 Topps, card #182- Chuck Harmon is a bear in PSA-8 centered

Almost as difficult as 126- Ben Wade
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    A few that I remember

T200- Boston NL. Toughest card in the set, in any condition
    '34-'36 Diamond Stars- the high numbers are scarce, expensive, and repeats of the same player in the lower numbers.
    '39 Playball- Earl Averill. It's a high number, just took a while.
    '50 Bowman- Phil Rizzuto. The lows numbers are really tough in this set, especially in ex-mint.
    '53 Bowman- all of the cards from about #112 to #128. Seems like a much shorter printed run than the rest.
    '54 Red Heart- Duke Snider. Couldn't find an 8
    '54 Topps Johnny Sain no idea why
    '59 Topps- all of the "no option/no trade" variations. Really tough.
    '63 Fleer Clay Dalymple tough to find centered in PSA 8
    '64 Topps Giants-Johnny Romano tough to find in PSA 9
    '66 Topps- Denny McLain or Grant Jackson. Both SP's, just hated paying so much for commons.
    '67 Topps- Rocky Colavito. It's a high number, but still shouldn't be so tough. Walked the entire National once looking for one at any price, and eventually got one. Seemingly the only one at the show. I'd heard that Colavito's family bought them up whenever they saw them.

'70's pack run- '75 regular. Surprised me, thought it would be '71
    '60's pack run- '61. Just don't see them as often as others
    '50's pack run- '56. Brutal. Heard there are only 3-4.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    A few that I remember

'34-'36 Diamond Stars- the high numbers are scarce, expensive, and repeats of the same player in the lower numbers.
    '50 Bowman- Phil Rizzuto. The lows numbers are really tough in this set, especially in ex-mint.
    '53 Bowman- all of the cards from about #112 to #128. Seems like a much shorter printed run than the rest.
    '66 Topps- Denny McLain or Grant Jackson. Both SP's, just hated paying so much for commons.
    '67 Topps- Rocky Colavito. It's a high number, but still shouldn't be so tough. Walked the entire National once looking for one at any price, and eventually got one. Seemingly the only one at the show. I'd heard that Colavito's family bought them up whenever they saw them.

'50's pack run- '56. Brutal. Heard there are only 3-4.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    My 1963 Topps set was completed with a Norm Larker card.
    My 1971 set it was the famous Claude Raymond, a tough card to get centered.
    Is it me or is Dick Williams maybe the hardest card to get in most sets. His 1971 is tough(sp) and so is his '63. His 1958 yellow team letters is difficult to get in high grade. His 1952 rookie card is also difficult in high grade.

Anybody know of another player who has so many hard to get cards?
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    Is it me or is Dick Williams maybe the hardest card to get in most sets. His 1971 is tough(sp) and so is his '63. His 1958 yellow team letters is difficult to get in high grade. His 1952 rookie card is also difficult in high grade.

Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    I have only one completed registry set, 1961 Fleer BK. The last card I bought to complete the set was Sam Jones in PSA 8. Although, I would later upgrade two more cards to get my set in all PSA 7 or above, which was my original goal. If you count those two then my last cards were Bob Boozer in 7 and Jerry West IA in 7.

I am currently working on a 1986 Fleer PSA 9 set. I am about 2/3 done. I have no idea who the last card will be for that set. My guess is a low pop common.
    Steve
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭
    Years ago I bought a collection and decided to complete the 1954 Bowman set. The last card was # 66 Jimmy Piersal. I had gotten the Williams several months before.
    Robert
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    t206 Wagner
  • Options
    I've put together quite a few sets over the years both vintage and modern(and non-sport). Here are a few of the most memorable ones:

1938- Jimmie Foxx #273
    1954-55 HK - Edgar Laprade #56
    1957- Ernie Johnson #333
    1973- Checklist #588
    1974- Pete Rose #300
    1977- Thurman Munson #170
    1994- Sean Berry #344
    1996- #425
    2008 Hannah Montana- #90 checklist

A lot of the stars that were the final cards was simply due to not getting around to getting them earlier and they just happened to be last. I don't know the reason behind the a common being last, but they were the most mind boggling one to locate. The 1973 checklist shouldn't be that tough to find(in comparison to the ones from 1956-57), but there aren't a lot offered on eBay and other sites and the ones that are the sellers want lots of $$$ for them. The Sean Berry card was just luck as I had assembled every other card by packs. I got pretty nervous when going through my local card shop's stock and failed to find Berry until the fourth and final vending box he had. What are the chances? On the other end of the spectrum, I once visited a shop that had about 50 1994 Topps cards total and I was missing 30 cards to that point and they had nearly every one I was missing.

Craig H
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few recent ones I remember.

1974 - Mark Belanger in PSA 8
    1970 - Steve Whitaker in PSA 8
    1961 - Ralph Houk in PSA 8
    1968 - Jose Cardenal in PSA 8
    1969 - Dick Radatz in PSA 8

One other player that seems to be tough in almost every year is Mike Shannon.
  • Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A few that I remember

'50's pack run- '56. Brutal. Heard there are only 3-4. >>

Wow anthony, you completed all those sets twice and needed the same cards for each one both times?!?!image
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    I don't remember any that finished a set but I do have a count down on now for my 1970 Topps baseball registry set. I'm down to 10 to go out of 726.
    I'm curious to see which one will be the last. I've been at it for 3 1/2 years so the last 10 could still take a few months.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    Acquired earlier this year. Took me a little over 4 years to finish this 13 card set.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>A few that I remember

'50's pack run- '56. Brutal. Heard there are only 3-4. >>

Wow anthony, you completed all those sets twice and needed the same cards for each one both times?!?!image >>

Groundhog Day Dave!

• Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭
    Wade Boggs' 1984 Donruss Diamond King card to complete the '84 Donruss set back in 1988. I still have a dated note accompanying the card of the fact that it was the last card to finish the set.
  • Options
    lucasjlucasj Posts: 152 ✭✭✭
    When I was 10 and buying 1988 Topps packs by the handful every chance I got, Darnell Coles #46 eluded me all year long. Finally pulling that card out of a pack from SuperValue on a quick grocery run with mom is a memory I've never forgotten. You'd have thunk I won the lottery.

In more recent times, I put together the entire 1987 Topps Football set in autographed form, but have been down to the last 2 for the last few years. Reggie White #301 and Walter Payton on the Bears Team Card #43.

Luke
    1987 Topps FB - Signed
    1989 Hoops BB - Signed
    Seattle Seahawks & Mariners Key Cards
    Selectively Random Cards That Make Me Happy
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    I'm one card away from finishing the 59 Topps set right now - #564 Mantle's Sporting News card.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    Posting so i can see page 2.
  • Options
    -1955 Topps All American Frank Sinkwich PSA 8
    -1969 Topps Football Fred Biletnikoff

Both cards were very difficult to find centered and the Sinkwich is a low pop
    JDRF saves lives, let not another child walk down the path of juvenile diabetes alone. Consider giving either time or money, it will come back to you. $15,800 and counting....
  • Options
    --1955 Topps All American PSA 8
    --1969 Topps Fred Biletnikoff

Both difficult to find centered and Sinkwich is a low pop $$image
    JDRF saves lives, let not another child walk down the path of juvenile diabetes alone. Consider giving either time or money, it will come back to you. $15,800 and counting....