Home Precious Metals
Options

Yikes and GADZOOKS !!! Generic 20's are jumpin'

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
Yow!
I got 20 of em a month or so ago with gold only nominally lower.
Figgered they were TOO CHEAP (for what they really are and what they WILL be when gold takes its ...RUN)
And now they are poppin' 10 bucks a day even when gold is only creeping slightly up. AND.... I want another 15-20 and boo hoo hoo.

Sooooo, thinks me..... I'll go back to plaiin ole BULLION fer my stackin'
YOWP! Hunnert bucks (almost) over spot.

I think I may have to fall into the "PHYSICAL SHORTAGE" mob purty dang soon.

Sooo.... what's the purpose of this post?
Darn good question. Chalk up to venting I guess.

Comments

• Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Im slightly confused as to what you bought. image
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Im slightly confused as to what you bought. image >>

Lol, as usual or a constant state of being???...$20 gold pieces...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    Not just any gold $20's, but generic ones!image
  • Options

<< <i>Not just any gold $20's, but generic ones!image >>

Yes, Generic graded gold. Available from Heritage and many other sources.
    You're only buying plastic, but there's a coin inside and these pups are NOT in local coin shops.
    Not in quantity anyhow.

• Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Brings back my first Au purchase. 8- uncirculated 1904 $20 Libs. $343 each out the door. $343 was 90% of spot that day. Yes eight unc. $20 Libs for melt.image
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Im slightly confused as to what you bought. image >>

Lol, as usual or a constant state of being???...$20 gold pieces... >>

Def constant state of being. Taking care of an infant solo for a week and working with 3-4 hours of broken sleep a night for the past 5 nights has been rough.

Maybe it was the entire post that just wasnt clickin, i dno.

Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on buying new coins for your collection of $20 gold pieces! Do you have a strong box with a good lock to keep them in?

What are the dates and mintmarks? What grades are they in? Do any have attractive toning or interesting die features? How about some pictures of your collection?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great news !!! :-)
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stupid me that likes to put everything into a relative sense, so I'm hearing something priced at $12.50 went to $12.60 the next day.

I'm not trying to belittle in any way, shape or fashion, just putting in context.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recall selling some MS65 and MS64 $20 Saints at $1717/oz gold in early December 2012 at a local Sunday coin show. What's sort of amazing is that today the buy price on those same MS65 generic Saints is about 90% of what it was back in Dec 2012. That would suggest an "effective" gold price of $1545 vs. the actual price today of $1135. So those have held up very well....and a lot better than the lower grades. No guarantees that things won't fall apart in the immediate future. It would seem someone is probably promoting them. In fall of 2009 the MS64's were promoted very strongly and were fetching a >80% premium to the gold price. The MS65's were selling for 10% more. Even the proof 1 oz AGE's were going for around $2400 as gold was at $1200+.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Ain't numismatics great? Collectors of historic and/or beautiful and/or rare forms of metal, including coins and nuggets, will pay more than the "melt" in order to own the objects for a while.

• Options

<< <i>Ain't numismatics great? Collectors of historic and/or beautiful and/or rare forms of metal, including coins and nuggets, will pay more than the "melt" in order to own the objects for a while. >>

Sure....but what % of melt? That makes all the difference. When I was buying MS64 Saints in spring of 2004 they were $635 each or around, about a 65% premium to spot. In Nov 2009 they got to >80% over spot. And during the crash of the past 2-3 years they have been as low as 20-35% over spot. Today they are at +37% to spot.

The proof 1 oz AGE's are probably rarer than MS64's and arguably much more impressive and artistic looking. They have typically sold for more than MS64 Saints. That apparently has changed recently. Proof AGE's are 24% over spot....and in my mind a better value than MS64 Saints. While the US mint is still striking proof AGE....the big gold buyers like Heritage, Rarcoa, etc. are still getting fresh piles of $20 Saints from overseas and slabbing them. Who knows if or when that supply ever runs out? That's essentially "minting" them because fresh slabs increase market supply. US mint or PCGS....it's still minting.

When you make these same comparisons to MS63 to MS65 generic Morgan silver dollars the percentages to spot start at +378%. Only a factor of 10X difference from a MS64 Saint. image
  • Options

<< <i>Stupid me that likes to put everything into a relative sense, so I'm hearing something priced at $12.50 went to $12.60 the next day.

I'm not trying to belittle in any way, shape or fashion, just putting in context. >>

The real context is that MS65 Saints (and the 63/64 grades as well) are up some 10% in the past couple of months.... not 1% in a day. While not a big gain, it's still a gain. And a gain while gold was making fresh bull market lows and continuing its decline.....an interesting divergence. Maybe it's just a simple promotion by the bigger coin dealers? Heritage has posted some buying ads the past month or two on types of generic gold. They are looking for quantities of MS64 $5 Indians and MS65 $5 Libs. I've always compared the subsidiary action of gold miners vs. bullion gold as much the same way as generic gold vs. bullion gold. Both of them peaked well before gold did, and in many cases years before gold did.
  • Options
    These are not what I buy for my COLLECTION.

These are simply more bulk bullion that is unlikely to attract gov't attention or become ruled persona non grata by dumb bank safe deposit policies.

They are just GOLD!

I just stack em in the shipping box with the invoice.
    Yep, I look at em to confirm that they WILL match criteria for grade, but nothing more.

Nope, they ain't toned or especially purdee. Don't want em to be.

They are just ANOTHER way of holding bullion and they go in the box with the plain bullion coins and I have no idea why I keep stacking as the box is not liftable any more anyhow.

I is a goldbug.

sigline has some of my COLLECTION gold. Nowhwere near completely what I have in numis but you can get the idea that I don't just buy bulk saints.
    And why am I explaining MY strategies? They are correct and will prove good in the long run. So there.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Premiums on gold coins are a funny thing. I've always liked the AGEs because they started with an advantage over Saints and other classic gold in terms of premiums, and I never made the transition over to classic gold. Back in 1978 I figured - why pay for built-in premiums that reflected mostly dealer markups over the years? Unfortunately there was no alternative to classic gold back then. I reasoned that a little competition was good for the US gold coin market and in 1986 the competition materialized in the form of AGEs. It still is.

Who's to say that gov.com won't decide that $20 Libertys or Saints are fair game someday? And why wouldn't gov.com consider the Modern "collectible bullion" that it sells at a healthy premium now - to be exempt from some future confiscation order because they are already defined by gov.com as a "collectible"? Nobody has a guarantee, it's all speculation.

Getting back to the OP's musing about physical shortages, has anyone experienced a higher premium on regular issue AGEs lately, or are the higher premiums only on slabbed Saints at this point?

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Who's to say the legislation won't touch saints and libs?
    Nobody.
    But stepping on COLLECTOR toes isn't a a good path to election.

And all halfass US gold "sorta" stacking coins would be affecting mom n pop folks instead of filthy fed up bullion SPECULATORS! Booo.....

I just think they won't bother because there ain't enough gold in US form to amount to hill of beans.

compared to AGEs, mapes, phillies, etc.

or not.
  • Options
    "Gov.com" will never, ever, ever, ever, ever (ever) confiscate everyone's gold.

"Premium" is whatever number over melt that a willing buyer and seller will conduct a transaction for.

And call it whatever pleases you, obviously! Some call it "rescuing dollars", some call it "insurance against wall street and the Fed", some call it an investment in an asset class, my wife calls it, "oh, lookie! you bought another shiny little coin for your coin collection! that's not nerdy, oh no!"

• Options

<< <i>Who's to say the legislation won't touch saints and libs?
    Nobody.
    But stepping on COLLECTOR toes isn't a a good path to election.

And all halfass US gold "sorta" stacking coins would be affecting mom n pop folks instead of filthy fed up bullion SPECULATORS! Booo.....

I just think they won't bother because there ain't enough gold in US form to amount to hill of beans.

compared to AGEs, mapes, phillies, etc.

or not. >>

Lol, there aren't enough collectors to elect a pta member...
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>.....Lol, there aren't enough collectors to elect a pta member... >>

It only took a SINGLE collector back in 1933 to get FDR to exempt pre-1933 gold from the confiscation order (ie collectible gold). And all the big boyz of the 1930's to 1950's bought lots of "collectible" gold for not much over melt.

Who was that lone collector? None other than Secretary of the Treasury William Woodin, one of the foremost US collectors of the early 20th century. He was the guy who back around 1910 traded his $50 Unions to the US Mint/govt for a box load of rare US patterns which included the J-1776, Amazonians in gold, etc. Smart guy. He also owned a 1933 $20 Saint at one time. Don't know if he was ever a PTA member though. image
  • Options
    Lol...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Gov.com" will never, ever, ever, ever, ever (ever) confiscate everyone's gold.

Saved here for posterity.

Why wouldn't they? They have no qualms about raising every other tax.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    I love generic $20s. To me, these are AU58 Libs and MS62 Saints.

Low premiums and beautiful coins. Very liquid and a chance for the premium to increase.
  • Options

<< <i>"Gov.com" will never, ever, ever, ever, ever (ever) confiscate everyone's gold.

Saved here for posterity.

Why wouldn't they? They have no qualms about raising every other tax. >>

Of course they never will, they will get jmski's though... Lol...
    Couldn't stop booze, couldn't stop any drug, won't stop pm's...
    keceph `anah