SP-Pedro Martinez
RP-Mariano Rivera
BP-Roberto Clemente
This would be my all-time lineup too.
What's your all-time lineup?

Comments

• Options
    Time4aGansettTime4aGansett Posts: 382 ✭✭✭
    I'd switch out Foxx with Gehrig and Pedro with Young.
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭
    surprised to see Pedro on that list, but understand everyone has their own opinions

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Berra over Bench - but its oh so close.

Cobb over Mays - again close, but Cobb's average is just staggering, and if he had wanted to, could have converted into a slugger himself.

I'm ok with Rivera as closer. Its a toss up between him and a 33 year old Bob Gibson.

Martinez needs to come off in favor of the Big Train.

I love Ripken, but Wagner has to be there.

And no way Mantle should be ahead of Stan the Man.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wagner over Ripken
    Love the BRM nods, but no way Morgan should be there as 2B, there's a long list ahead of him
    I'd take Randy Johnson over Pedro, but there's probably quite a few others that fit better there
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hornsby at second base. Look at 1920-25. AMAZING! 1927-29 not too shabby either. Nine out of 10 years leading in OPS and OPS+.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Pedro Martinez was a peak Sandy Koufax in a hulkster steroid batting era.
    In 1999 Pedro had 313 strikeouts. The next highest pitcher strikeouts was 200.
    In 2000 Pedro had a 1.74 ERA. The next lowest ERA was 3.70. Five of the top ten ERA leaders were above 4.
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got...No true lead off hitter...LOL....I would take these guys:

1. Rogers Hornsby-2B.........Over Collins, Lajoie.
    2. Willie Mays-CF.......My vote for greatest player ever.
    3. Barry Bonds-LF.....Easy pick.
    4. Babe Ruth-RF.......Easy pick.
    5. Lou Gehrig-1B..........Over Foxx, Pujols, Thomas.
    6. Ted Williams-DH......Might hit .410 in this lineup.
    7. Mike Schmidt-3B.......Great slugger, gets the nod over Brett for me.
    8. Johnny Bench-C.......Gets the nod over Berra, Piazza, Dickey.
    9. Honus Wagner-SS........Has to be on the team IMO, head and shoulders above Ripken.
    SP-Lefty Grove......My favorite SP from his era.
    RP-Mariano Rivera........No doubt.
    BP-Ty Cobb.....Decent extra to have.
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pedro is indeed a surprise. In no particular order, before him I would instead take Walter Johnson, Randy Johnson, Bob Gibson, Greg Maddux, G.C. Alexander, Christy Mathewson, Nolan Ryan, Sandy Koufax, Cy Young, Tom Seaver. Not sure about Lefty Grove vs. Pedro. Tempted to consider a young Satchel Paige but just don't know for sure how his stats would compare if he had an entire major league career instead of starting so late.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would take Maddux over Pedro. One 15 day dl trip in a 23 year career. Think about that. Just staggering. I would also take Cobb over mays.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    PM770PM770 Posts: 320 ✭✭
    Kind of cheating to call Mantle a LF. He only played 6.3% of his career appearance in LF.

The Pedro Martinez choice is interesting. His 2000 is the best pitching season ever IMO. Only 5 pitchers in the AL had ERAs under 4.00. His was under 2.00! 2nd place was Clemens at 3.70. Thats lapping the field in greatness.

What does BP (Clemente) mean?
  • Options
    BP is one bench spot in the lineup.
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is my list. Can't leave off the best leadoff hitter of all time. Alomar is the greatest all around second baseman of all time. He hit for average and power, got on base, was a great fielder, stole bases. Edgar Martinez is the greatest DH of all time, you can't just put someone in that spot who never dh'd in their career (Ted Williams). I had to put Gehrig at first base but Pujols or Foxx would be good picks there to.

1. Rickey Henderson- LF
    2. Roberto Alomar- 2B
    3. Willie Mays- CF
    4. Babe Ruth- RF
    5. Lou Gehrig- 1B (as much as i want to put Pujols)
    6. Edgar Martinez- DH (Williams didn't DH.....)
    7. Mike Schmidt- 3B
    8. Johnny Bench- C
    9. Honus Wagner- SS
    SP- Randy Johnson
    RP- Mariano Rivera
    BP- Ted Williams
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine.

Pinella LF
    Rivers CF
    Jackson RF
    Chambliss 1B
    Randolph 2B
    Dent SS
    Nettles 3B
    Munson C
    Guidry P
    Mike
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is my list. Can't leave off the best leadoff hitter of all time. Alomar is the greatest all around second baseman of all time. He hit for average and power, got on base, was a great fielder, stole bases. Edgar Martinez is the greatest DH of all time, you can't just put someone in that spot who never dh'd in their career (Ted Williams). I had to put Gehrig at first base but Pujols or Foxx would be good picks there to.

1. Rickey Henderson- LF
    2. Roberto Alomar- 2B
    3. Willie Mays- CF
    4. Babe Ruth- RF
    5. Lou Gehrig- 1B (as much as i want to put Pujols)
    6. Edgar Martinez- DH (Williams didn't DH.....)
    7. Mike Schmidt- 3B
    8. Johnny Bench- C
    9. Honus Wagner- SS
    SP- Randy Johnson
    RP- Mariano Rivera
    BP- Ted Williams >>

Good point about Williams. I should edit mine and put Frank Thomas in at DH and Ted Williams at BP. Henderson and Alomar would be a devastating 1/2 combo.
  • Options
    JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    I am surprised Bob Gibson is barely mentioned as the SP.

Sarcasm aside, what am I missing? Was his career too short?
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So nobody has Josh Gibson at catcher.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

<< <i>I am surprised Bob Gibson is barely mentioned as the SP.

Sarcasm aside, what am I missing? Was his career too short? >>

Christy Mathewson and Walter Johnson are the best starting pitchers of all time.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

Hello everyone,

It was a lot of fun writing this article. I wanted to share this with all of you since a lively thread has already started.

First, if you have the time, please read the full article below so you understand the criteria/reasoning for each pick. That is not to say that everyone will agree (it wouldn't be any fun if everyone did).

I also think the article answers some of the questions already being presented on this thread.

All-Time Baseball Lineup - Full Article

Remember, this is a lineup for a single game, winner-take-all scenario. It is also an exercise that evaluates the players at their best or in their primes, not a reflection of their entire careers.

Second, we are going to launch a slideshow and survey where you can put together your own Dream Lineup on our site next week. It should be a lot of fun for the users.

Take care and thanks for reading the article,

Joe Orlando
    PSA President

Joe Orlando
    CEO, Collectors Universe, Inc.
  • Options
    Keeping in mind its a one game, winner take all scenario, I have plenty of high average contact hitters in my lineup.

1. Ty Cobb- LF
    2. Rogers Hornsby- 2B
    3. Ted Williams- RF
    4. Babe Ruth- DH
    5. Stan Musial- 1B
    6. George Brett- 3B
    7. Joe DiMaggio- CF
    8. Josh Gibson- C
    9. Honus Wagner- SS

SP- Christy Mathewson RHP
    SP- Randy Johnson LHP
    Whoever starts, the other can relieve if necessary.
    BP. Joe Morgan, infield. Roberto Clemente, outfield.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

<< <i>I am surprised Bob Gibson is barely mentioned as the SP.

Sarcasm aside, what am I missing? Was his career too short? >>

The man only made MLB regulate and lower the pitching mound in 1969 becasue he was so dominate in 68. How many other players caused a complete rule change/alteration in the game of baseball?
    Current T206 Needs: (Updated 9/11/17)

LaJoie Portrait 3+, Cy Young Bare Hand 3+

Ty Cobb Bat Off 4+, ANY Red & Green Portrait

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really wanted to put Miguel Cabrera on this list somewhere but there is not one position that he has played majority of his career. He has played most at first and third but he has also played outfield. I think by the time he is finished he will be up there with the greatest hitters of all time. He has ridiculous numbers through jsut 13 seasons.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    ScottAScottA Posts: 33 ✭✭
    For one game using players at their peak:

CF Mays
    SS Wagner
    RF Cobb
    LF Ruth
    1B Gehrig
    C Bench - best catcher ever combined with hitting
    3B Brett - clutch
    2B Rose (only because it's one game)
    P Koufax - at his peak, no one was better

I'd love to have Mantle if it's just one game, so if there's a DH, he's it.
    Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth are the greatest players of all time...period. Anyone who says otherwise is just plain wrong.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In latest SMR, Joe Orlando's All-Time Baseball Lineup:
    1. Joe Morgan-2B
    2. Willie Mays-CF
    3. Mickey Mantle-LF
    4. Babe Ruth-RF
    5. Jimmie Foxx-1B
    6. Ted Williams-DH
    7. Mike Schmidt-3B
    8. Johnny Bench-C
    9. Cal Ripken Jr.-SS
    SP-Pedro Martinez
    RP-Mariano Rivera
    BP-Roberto Clemente
    This would be my all-time lineup too.
    What's your all-time lineup? >>

Can't argue with that lineup~Pedro was just as good as Gibson. I might replace Foxx with Gehrig and Morgan with Hornsby, but Morgan is imo the best post war 2B. Ty Cobb should fit in there somehow, too.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    1. RF Ty Cobb
    2. 2B Napoleon Lajoie
    3. LF Babe Ruth
    4. CF Willie Mays
    5. 1B Jimmie Foxx
    6. SS Alex Rodriguez
    7. DH Frank Thomas
    8. C Yogi Berra
    9. 3B Mike Schmidt
    SP Sandy Koufax
    RP Mariano Rivera
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Interesting article. Can't go wrong with that line-up.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've got...No true lead off hitter...LOL....I would take these guys:

1. Rogers Hornsby-2B.........Over Collins, Lajoie.
    2. Willie Mays-CF.......My vote for greatest player ever.
    3. Barry Bonds-LF.....Easy pick.
    4. Babe Ruth-RF.......Easy pick.
    5. Lou Gehrig-1B..........Over Foxx, Pujols, Thomas.
    6. Ted Williams-DH......Might hit .410 in this lineup.
    7. Mike Schmidt-3B.......Great slugger, gets the nod over Brett for me.
    8. Johnny Bench-C.......Gets the nod over Berra, Piazza, Dickey.
    9. Honus Wagner-SS........Has to be on the team IMO, head and shoulders above Ripken.
    SP-Lefty Grove......My favorite SP from his era.
    RP-Mariano Rivera........No doubt.
    BP-Ty Cobb.....Decent extra to have. >>

i like our picks. i think pete rose is one of the 10 of all-time. i would put him at 2nd base. wagner/maybe alex? i like nolan. your list is definitely close.
    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭✭✭
    all-time top 10 hitters/position players
    1. babe ruth
    2. barry bonds
    3. hank aaron
    4. willie mays
    5. lou gehrig
    6. ted wiiliams
    7. pete rose
    8. alex rodriguez
    9. stan musial
    10.mike schmidt

pitchers
    1.nolan ryan
    2.roger clemens
    3.steve carlton/warren spahn tie
    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    For one game - Sandy Koufax for sure.

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    Sandy Koufax would not have as good as pitching numbers as Pedro Martinez if Koufax pitched in 1999-2000 which was the steroid era.
  • Options

<< <i>Sandy Koufax would not have as good as pitching numbers as Pedro Martinez if Koufax pitched in 1999-2000 which was the steroid era. >>

You make it sound like a fact when in truth, it is only your opinion. For all you know Pedro could have been on PED's also. The only person that knows for sure if Pedro.
    We don't know for sure about any player from the steroid era.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, Pedro did have five seasons with ERA+ over 200. Sandy never had even one. Pedro's best was 291, over 50% better than Sandy's.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Sandy Koufax would not have as good as pitching numbers as Pedro Martinez if Koufax pitched in 1999-2000 which was the steroid era. >>

You make it sound like a fact when in truth, it is only your opinion. For all you know Pedro could have been on PED's also. The only person that knows for sure if Pedro.
    We don't know for sure about any player from the steroid era. >>

Obviously you are a biased koufax dodger fan with your moron statement saying Pedro could have been on PED's.
    Pedro was listed as 5'11" and 170 pounds and he was noted to be smaller than his listed height and weight.
    Koufax could have been on PED's too, only koufax would know for sure.
  • Options
    Ahh, this should be fun. In a winner take all scenario, who do you put out there? I've heard some good names already, Josh Gibson, Rickey, Koufax.....you're looking at the history of baseball. How do you justify keeping Babe Ruth off that list? So I don't go crazy, I'd almost have to go with players that I've seen play.
  • Options
    It's very tough to select players in the steroid era but I did factor in that Bonds and Clemens were still HOF caliber players prior to it all. So at this point, I put in the second stringers, who are pretty damn good themselves. 3B was a tough spot as I did see Schmidt and Brett play. In one game, I'll take the hitting all day, not that those two were pushovers though. At SS, ARod is too much of a drama queen for me so I got rid of him. I do like Ozzie Smith in one game over Jeter. Am I wrong, maybe but it's still my damn list!!! image

Rickey Henderson OF
    Ken Griffey Jr OF
    (Kirby Puckett) OF Barry Bonds
    Albert Pujols 1B
    Roberto Alomar 2B
    Miguel Cabrera 3B
    Ozzie Smith SS
    Ivan Rodriguez C
    Frank Thomas DH

Starting Pitcherimageedro Martinez
    Middle Reliever: Randy Johnson
    Setup: (Greg Maddux) Roger Clemens
    Closer:Mariano Rivera
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Obviously you are a biased koufax dodger fan with your moron statement saying Pedro could have been on PED's.
    Pedro was listed as 5'11" and 170 pounds and he was noted to be smaller than his listed height and weight.
    Koufax could have been on PED's too, only koufax would know for sure. >>

PEDs do not necessarily affect weight and never height (unless I've been on acid for 20 years), primarily recovery time. I don't get where you're going with this. Pedro played in an era where PEDs were prevalent, Koufax, not so much. Since you are obviously an anti-Dodger, anti-Koufax fan, there are still many pitchers I would take over Pedro in a one game wins all matchup.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

PEDs do not necessarily affect weight and never height (unless I've been on acid for 20 years), primarily recovery time. I don't get where you're going with this. Pedro played in an era where PEDs were prevalent, Koufax, not so much. Since you are obviously an anti-Dodger, anti-Koufax fan, there are still many pitchers I would take over Pedro in a one game wins all matchup. >>

Players used PED's before the steroid era like you mentioned but not as prevalent. If you are going to accuse Pedro of using PED's, you then should accuse Koufax of using PED's to be fair. Nothing to do with being an anti-Dodger or anti-Koufax fan.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Speaking about a "moron statement", using height as evidence of PED use might not be the smartest argument available.
    Have you ever taken into consideration that if Koufax or any other great player was born at a later time, he may have taken the advantages of newer training methods, better nutrition & other items of the newer time that may have made him better than he was when he pitched. Maybe with newer medical procedures, his career would have also been longer. That is one reason it is so difficult to compare players from different eras.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Speaking about a "moron statement", using height as evidence of PED use might not be the smartest argument available.
    Have you ever taken into consideration that if Koufax or any other great player was born at a later time, he may have taken the advantages of newer training methods, better nutrition & other items of the newer time that may have made him better than he was when he pitched. Maybe with newer medical procedures, his career would have also been longer. That is one reason it is so difficult to compare players from different eras. >>

I also mentioned Pedro's weight to show how skinny he was for his height.
    Koufax pitched in a much friendlier pitchers era so Pedro's peak numbers were better than Koufax's.
    Look at the WHIP adjusted numbers and Pedro is superior.