Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Cards and Bitcoins

Since Bitcoin is hitting the mainstream more and more recently, I was curious if any of you have used Bitcoins in your transactions. Are you set up to accept them for payment if someone wanted to buy a card from you using them? Have you ever offered someone Bitcoins as part of a transaction? Post any Bitcoin experiences you have had as they relate to sports/non sports cards. I am curious as to how many of you use them.

Collecting:

- Post War baseball HOF RC's
- 1980's unopened baseball
- All Mutoscope and American Beauties

Comments

• Options
    I don't currently own any but bitcoin has been trending down lately. I have to believe that certain investors are keeping it a the $600 level. The Mt Gox fallout should be screaming to investors to be wary. Maybe in the far future crypto-currency will be widely accepted in day to day activities but right now it seems like it's falling out of the spotlight.
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Bitcoin=eTopps
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options

<< <i>Bitcoin=eTopps >>

+1
  • Options
    jjwormjjworm Posts: 196 ✭✭
    It's been a year ago that I started this thread, so I figured now would be a good time to bring it back up. Putting the price aside (now around $300 per BTC), is anyone now using it for purchases or related uses? There are more and more merchants accepting it and I wanted see if more people are adopting it.

Collecting:

- Post War baseball HOF RC's
    - 1980's unopened baseball
    - All Mutoscope and American Beauties

• Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Not using it and I wouldn't accept it as payment, either.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Morgan Spurlock did a show about Bitcoins, and a merchant that he interviewed said 15-20% of his credit card transactions were fraudulent, or resulted in a chargeback. So far, he's had 1,000 Bitcoin transactions without a single problem. Plus, the fees are lower.

Youtube link
  • Options
    Had I owned from the start, I would have sold when it was at $1200 per bitcoin. Some auto millionaires a few years ago.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Had I owned from the start, I would have sold when it was at $1200 per bitcoin. >>

Everyone would have, in hindsight.
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Morgan Spurlock did a show about Bitcoins, and a merchant that he interviewed said 15-20% of his credit card transactions were fraudulent, or resulted in a chargeback. So far, he's had 1,000 Bitcoin transactions without a single problem. Plus, the fees are lower.

Youtube link >>

He's in the wrong business if he's dealing with that much scum
  • Options
    Couldn't PP be configured to accept it them? I get paid in various foreign currencies all the time, but it's always automatically converted into dollars.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Morgan Spurlock did a show about Bitcoins, and a merchant that he interviewed said 15-20% of his credit card transactions were fraudulent, or resulted in a chargeback. So far, he's had 1,000 Bitcoin transactions without a single problem. Plus, the fees are lower.

Youtube link >>

He's in the wrong business if he's dealing with that much scum >>

This is correct. My wife and I own a small business and I believe we have had one attempted chargeback in two and a half years of owning the business.
    Steve
  • Options
    GrimsterGrimster Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Couldn't PP be configured to accept it them? I get paid in various foreign currencies all the time, but it's always automatically converted into dollars. >>

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/paymentshub

I have purchased many things using bitcoin. I made several black friday purchases (including the 27" monitor Im using now) with bitcoin. I've ordered food with it. I've bought ASE coins from a couple different online vendors with it. Once you understand how to use it correctly it is easy.

I keep a small amount ( less than $100 worth) in my wallet app on my phone. I keep the rest in various cold storage paper wallets in my safe at home. I haven't had anyone ask me if I accepted bitcoin as payment for anything yet, but would have no issues if that's how they wanted to pay. In my normal buying / selling activities....sportscards and guns/ammo are really the only two areas that I HAVENT used bitcoin yet. Im sure that will change soon enough. Well...at least on the sportscards side of things...
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    If you have $1000 of real money in your PayPal account in the morning then it will still be worth $1000 at the end of the day, week, month, year.

If you start with a $1000 value of bitcoins the value will change all the time. They could have $750 of value when you chose to spend them, or they could get you $1250 in value.

If you like the uncertainty of the value of your money and the things you've purchased with them then bitcoins are for you. Today's value is ranging $261 to $284 so good luck timing your PSA card sales and purchases.
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    whats the easiest way to purchase a few? my brokers don't have them
    Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image