Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Just Sayin'... Buyers & The Grading Game...

Personally, I'd pay more for the 7.5. The 8 has more tilt, far worse centering, two minor print imperfections, and a worse top-left corner. Saw both of these cards on eBay just now. Neither listing is closed yet, so of course anything can happen; I am curious to see if the masses will be looking at the cards or the stickers.

Comments

• Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    These cards aren't even close is eye appeal to one another.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 8 was graded a long while back before the 1/2 point grades. The 7.5 is freshly graded. I, too, would pay more for the 7.5.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to mention, the corner that almost turned me to stone is T/L on the 8.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my main pet peeves is that the PSA grading standards emphasize eye appeal, yet they continue to be lenient on tilt and diamond cut. But hey, at least those defects are easy enough to spot in a scan.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    if Bobby posts this, he gets a cigarette and a blindfold.
  • Options
    This seems like as good a time for my first post. I've been watching the forum for a while and I love these card comparisons. I'm a big fan of the '52 Topps set and that 7.5 is beautiful. The 8, not so much.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>if Bobby posts this, he gets a cigarette and a blindfold. >>

Apologist... image
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>if Bobby posts this, he gets a cigarette and a blindfold. >>

Apologist... image >>

just sayin'... image
  • Options
    There are things I like better about the 8 than the 7.5, but for me the deal breaker is the tilt. There are guys on these boards who are fanatical about centering. For me, the unforgivable sin is tilt. Can't stand it.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There are things I like better about the 8 than the 7.5, but for me the deal breaker is the tilt. There are guys on these boards who are fanatical about centering. For me, the unforgivable sin is tilt. Can't stand it. >>

Me either, and yet it's the one defect that basically isn't penalized at all, given that centering requirements are met. Yet it's death on eye appeal.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like tilts either.

Of interest, even the 7.5 has a little bit of a tilt though not bad - but that's part of the "charm" of the '52s?
    Mike
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Bobby has seen enough to know that the '8' will sell for more....
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    PS - I won't tell you if that is my consignment or not. So please stop with the PM's.
  • Options
    hdunkhdunk Posts: 76 ✭✭
    Is sold Sean both 1952 Feller's at a show. I bought the 8 from a walkin at a show. I graded the 7.5 myself. The 7.5 is a far better card than the 8 no question.
  • Options
    pclpadspclpads Posts: 457 ✭✭
    IMHO I'd take the 7.5 and pocket the $278 selling diff of the 8 all day long.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    7.5 looks way better
  • Options
    The 7.5 is a better card. The top right corner on the 8 looks like it has a touch of wear as well - I figure it would get a 7 if graded today.
    The bottom line is that a higher graded card should look better than one that is a grade lower.

Tilts should get a deduction but a least with a tilt you know the card probably hasn't been trimmed or sheet cut.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    I'll take a 5 with a nearly invisible wrinkle on the back over that 8.