Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1990-91 Pro Set Super Bowl XXV Raiders & 49ers [UPDATED 2.5.15]

I just wanted to make a quick thread to highlight this set now that the PSA registry for it has been opened.

While searching the internet I discovered that this set existed in mid August 2013 when I came across the 1990 Pro Set website on blogspot. Over the next month I acquired an unopened set in a person-person deal and some graded cards on eBay. At the time I started working on this, PSA did not make any distinction between these cards and the regular Pro Set card. All of the graded copies were included in the total population of normal cards, making it difficult to see how rare the cards are and preventing the card from being showcased properly. So I set off on a mission to get the set recognized...

Neither the Raiders nor 49ers were their conference champions leading up to SB XXV, it was the Bills and the Giants. These sets were produced in advance of the Super Bowl conference winner having been determined due to time constraints making them unique in that they now list the Raiders and 49ers as conference champs erroneously and should have gone to the garbage. Somehow, happily they escaped that fate. image

I started off contacting PSA in Oct 2013 to request the set be identified with a different flip. I waited a while to give the research department a chance to follow up, but hadn't heard from them so I pressed on. I found some details about the set in an online blog about 1990 Pro Set cards. I started contacting PSA customer service again but this time by phone in the beginning of January. Initially, they left me a voice mail saying they would not recognize the cards because they were not found in any publication. While on the phone with a dealer who has helped me find some other challenging cards, I mentioned that I was looking for the set so he looked it up in the big Beckett and turns out they are listed in there. He gave me the page number from two different years where the set was listed and another collector friend who was subscribed to Beckett's pricing sent me a paste of the card descriptions and pricing. I sent all of this information to PSA and called a few times to speak with various people. To my delight, PSA told me verbally over the phone that they'd recognize this card with a distinct flip on 1/11/2014. I shipped out my graded cards within about a week for a mechanical re-holder along with a letter explaining and listing the publication name/page/card descriptions/pricing. Lastly, now that I have the set I may as well show it off, right? Initially PSA didn't add the set because they were focused on adding a backlog of other sets that are more widely recognized. They contacted me today to let me know the set was added so here for the first time...

My #1 All Time Finest 1990-91 Pro Set Super Bowl XXV Raiders PSA Registry Set

I've been working on collecting the 49ers from this set as well, I have copies of each card in the raw that will eventually be graded and added to the set. I will probably have a few that don't make a GEM grade so the search will continue for the perfect set. Below are the cards I have graded so far:

My 1990-91 Pro Set Super Bowl XXV 49ERS Set - A Work in Progress...

The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome, and thanks for the effort! I need to get mine in flips with the updated labels now, though I think I've only got 2 or 3.
  • Options
    I would think you'll end up with the #1 set, at least for a while image time to change your sig!
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Great set with nice colors. They look really good slabbed.

I can appreciate your drive to complete the set being that I am a fan of super bowl issued cards.

Thanks for taking the time to post it!
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all of the comments and interest guys.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Your dogged efforts paid off, nice job image

I really like that Art Shell/Howie Long card, nice photo.
  • Options
    Pro Set made a similar unreleased set on the NFC side for the 49ers who, like the Raiders, lost the Championship game that year (to the Giants).
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    How were these cards distributed back in the day? Were they in regular Pro-set packs?
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options

<< <i>Pro Set made a similar unreleased set on the NFC side for the 49ers who, like the Raiders, lost the Championship game that year (to the Giants). >>

That's correct! I have a copy of the 49'ers set still sealed in plastic that I recently purchased. Will be sure to add those as soon as I get the cards back from PSA.
  • Options

<< <i>How were these cards distributed back in the day? Were they in regular Pro-set packs? >>

From my understanding the regular sets (Bills/Giants) were distributed at the Super Bowl game. All four teams come in a sealed clear plastic package, pictured below. The Raiders and 49ers were not distributed at all since they did not win their conferences. They were probably saved from the dumpster by a Pro Set employee and later made their way to the collectible market.

• Options
    From Beckett: Pro Set created these cards in anticipation of the Raiders winning the AFC Championship game and making their way to Super Bowl XXV. If they had won the game, instead of the Bills, the cards would have been part of the Super Bowl XXV Binder set issued at the game. This set was thought to have been completely destroyed at the time, but a number of cards and sets surfaced some twenty years later. Just like the Giants and Bills Binder cards, these feature the Super Bowl XXV logo on the front but otherwise follow the basic style and card numbering of the 1990 Pro Set cards. New player photos, however, are also featured in this version.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    imageimage
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>Awesome, and thanks for the effort! I need to get mine in flips with the updated labels now, though I think I've only got 2 or 3. >>

Any idea what these would need to be subbed under if I've got these in flips with no 'SUPER BOWL XXV RAIDERS' designation? Is it considered a Mech Error, Reholder, etc.?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Awesome, and thanks for the effort! I need to get mine in flips with the updated labels now, though I think I've only got 2 or 3. >>

Any idea what these would need to be subbed under if I've got these in flips with no 'SUPER BOWL XXV RAIDERS' designation? Is it considered a Mech Error, Reholder, etc.? >>

PM me your email and I'll send you a scan of my submission form along with the letter I included to PSA.
  • Options
    I was able to pick up all of my missing cards in this set. Upgrade for Gault to PSA 10. Added Mervyn Fernandez, Marcus Allen and Max Montoya in PSA 10. Added Bo Jackson in BGS 9. All of the PSA cards are the incorrect holder so they'll need a mech reholder and I've already cracked Bo out of the case for a submission to PSA, I think he's a possible GEM based on the other cards I have. If not, I'll be happy to have a 9 in my set until the time is right for an upgrade. Will update this thread when I have them all back. Hoping to beat the set registry award deadline. image
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Knowing nothing about the Pro set cards other than I opened a few boxes back in the day ) probably because they
    were cheap). I'm going to go out on a limb and say the cards below were part of yet another Super Bowl XXV set.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    Here are scans of the 49ers sealed set I purchased. Now unsealed of course...

Most of the cards look really nice with a few that have chipping. Brent Jones is the most noticeable with a printing issue where the blue did not apply in a streak at the top. I also got a giggle out of the Ronnie Lott card, it looks like he's trying to punt a guy's head. image

Enjoy!

• Options
    These cards populated last night in my inventory so the set is now 100% complete. I have all cards in GEM except Bo Jackson which came back a PSA 9. Will post some scans of the new holder when the cards arrive.

<< <i>I was able to pick up all of my missing cards in this set. Upgrade for Gault to PSA 10. Added Mervyn Fernandez, Marcus Allen and Max Montoya in PSA 10. Added Bo Jackson in BGS 9. All of the PSA cards are the incorrect holder so they'll need a mech reholder and I've already cracked Bo out of the case for a submission to PSA, I think he's a possible GEM based on the other cards I have. If not, I'll be happy to have a 9 in my set until the time is right for an upgrade. Will update this thread when I have them all back. Hoping to beat the set registry award deadline. image >>

• Options
    cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    awesome set! Wonder why PSA didn't include numbers at the bottom?
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>awesome set! Wonder why PSA didn't include numbers at the bottom? >>

The op photoshopped them out to keep the unwashed masses from thieving them in an effort to deceive.
  • Options
    Acquired the Bo Jackson card in PSA 10 so the Raiders set is now 100% complete all in GEM MT 10. Also picked up another copy of the 49ers set which is on the way in the mail. Hope to send them off for grading soon. I noted a second Bo Jackson was added to population over the weekend so maybe it'll be coming up for auction soon?
  • Options
    Nate, I'm glad to see you're still collecting!
  • Options
    Woohoo! Made the 2014 set registry awards with the Raiders XXV. image
  • Options

<< <i>Nate, I'm glad to see you're still collecting! >>

Thanks Dan. Yeah, I'm still alive and kicking. Although, still selling off some big chunks in the next few weeks.
  • Options
    Added scans for the 49ers cards to the original post.

PSA 1990-91 PRO SET 293 JOE MONTANA SUPER BOWL XXV 49ERS MT 9
    PSA 1990-91 PRO SET 295 JERRY RICE SUPER BOWL XXV 49ERS MT 10
  • Options

<< <i>Added scans for the 49ers cards to the original post.

PSA 1990-91 PRO SET 295 JERRY RICE SUPER BOWL XXV 49ERS MT 10 >>

Looking great!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Added scans for the 49ers cards to the original post.

PSA 1990-91 PRO SET 295 JERRY RICE SUPER BOWL XXV 49ERS MT 10 >>

Looking great! >>

Thanks Kyle! Hoping to finish grading the set this year before the registry awards go out. Then on to upgrade any cards that did not grade a gem.