Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Another Henderson 10?

Curious as to the general consensus on this one. Not mine and my eyebrow is raised, so feel free to shred to pieces if so desired. The card itself seems legit and almost perfect, but something about the flip doesn't sit right.

Comments

• Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    The font on the slab looks off to me. I'm thinking its a doctored photo with a photoshop job on the label. Probably a well-centered 8 or 9.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Font looks a bit off to me, too.

Cert # is an old one.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I concur. The "PP" in TOPPS seems off, the font style and spacing is a little wrong, the barcode sits entirely way too low, etc.

It also appears to be a lot of space on the right hand side between the card itself and the placement holder. A lot of room on the top right vs very little room on the bottom right. The card seems flush along the entire left hand side, which might explain the appearance of no tilt which plagues this card.

I have heard there are 2 fakes floating around out there originating from the California area and while no expert, I think this may be one of them.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my PSA 10 1980 Bench graded right around the same time for comparison..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    What's your thoughts after posting that Bench, Grote?

NICE CARD, BTW!!
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭
    The font looks off. I say it's a fake.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    It does look a little weird. That top right corner doesn't do it for me either.
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Man, after looking at Tim's example, the only difference that I'm noticing is the spacing between the top line of text and the red portion of the label.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    I'm certainly not a pro at picking up on fake slabs, but look at the eights on both cards in "1980 Topps"
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well the cert # checks out:

ITEM INFORMATION
    Cert Verification #: 31853473
    Year: 1980
    Brand: TOPPS
    Card Number: 482
    Player: RICKEY HENDERSON
    Variety:
    Grade: GEM MINT 10
    Population: 13
    Population w/Qual: 0
    Sport: BASEBALL CARDS
    Population Higher: 0

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Every fake slab has a correct cert number, though.
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    looks like the scan was over enhanced which makes the fonts look odd imo