Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The What Did You Get For Christmas Thread

So what did you guys get for Christmas?

My wife is the best! She knows I'm doing my Cowboys rb project and actually took the time to check my set. She then went on ebay and picked out a nice 1964 Philadelphia Don Perkins PSA 9.

Feeling the love today and just wanted to share.

Comments

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A paddle board!!! Can't wait to take it out on our lake. Might do it today!

Merry Christmas everyone!

• Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    -several iTunes gift cards to help on my Clash of Clans village. The twins and I have our clan we built and enjoy playing together. We are 40-10 in clan wars.

- Nr/mt to Nm-mt Bird/Magic rookie (wife got me something card related after all).

-Nike Air Max running shoes

-a couple silver dollars

** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭✭
    Matt, I would love to know the ebay search she used to come up with that beauty! She must have waded through a ton of listings to find a random mint running back that you don't have already.
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    I've gotten cards for Christmas every year since I was 8, I turned 52 in November. Thanks to my wonderful wife (and family) for putting up with my card collecting and keeping the tradition alive. Got a card for my '52 set. Love the family.

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Matt, I would love to know the ebay search she used to come up with that beauty! She must have waded through a ton of listings to find a random mint running back that you don't have already. >>

Tom,

She checked my imageevent online album so she had an idea of what I needed.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks to my wonderful wife (and family) for putting up with my card collecting and keeping the tradition alive. Got a card for my '52 set. Love the family.] >>

Great card

I can relate. Especially to the "Thanks to my wonderful wife (and family) for putting up with my card collecting" image
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Matt, I would love to know the ebay search she used to come up with that beauty! She must have waded through a ton of listings to find a random mint running back that you don't have already. >>

Tom,

She checked my imageevent online album so she had an idea of what I needed. >>

Well sure she had your inventory, but what in the world did she search for? I suppose "PSA Cowboys" would be a start and then just look through every card until you find one that's a running back, then check the inventory, then repeat. You got a keeper there!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Glad to see you guys got items that you wanted for Christmas. Enjoy them!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got an eBay gift card from my wife and one from my in-laws. I have already bought a 1959 Topps Bob Gibson SIGNED rookie PSA/DNA for my Cardinals autograph collection. I am also looking to get a 1967 Topps Mantle for the set I am working on.

Shane

• Options
    mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭
    I got tickets to Unbroken. I have been wanting to see the movie. I had the pleasure of exchanging letters with Louie several years ago. Here are pictures of what he passed along from our letters

On his Olympic letterhead
    image[/URL]

image[/URL]

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Options
    iPad Air from my wife. Killer deal. Somehow at staples $214 after taxes. It was $300 then somehow on one day she had a $100 off coupon. The guy at staples said that's the cheapest he's seen an iPad Air go out the door. It costs them $280 just to get them. I love it.

Yankees slippers
    Binoculars
    Creeper for my BMW to work on it under the car
    Home Depot gift card
    Yankee stadium 1000 piece puzzle
    No hobby related stuff except the awesome stuff from my secret santa
    .Looking for ANY National Bank notes of Skaneateles, NY
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a few really thoughtful gifts for my collections this year.

From my brother I got a Berra rookie, low grade but I'm thrilled with it

From my 14 year old son I got this 1950 Berra to go with the rookie

My 8 year old son has very little interest in sports but loves toys. My older son and I collect together a lot and so a few years ago I decided to start a very small collection of my favorite toy series from childhood, the 1970's Gabriel Lone Ranger Rides Again, so that my younger son and I could have a hobby together as well. I rarely add anything to this collection, but we look on ebay for stuff from time to time and it gives us something to do in common when we are out looking for the stuff he loves. The last two Christmas' he has picked out something for my Lone Ranger collection, this year I got Silver and Scout, here they are in my little office display.

Each item fits my collection but much more than that each item was very thoughtful which adds that much more to the item and my collection.
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    Just opened a 2014 Allen Ginter hobby box and got a double rip card.

Opened the rip card and this was inside:

Keep, rip or sell?

Justin
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    I need to show my wife how to buy me cards on eBay!

Great gifts, merry Xmas.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Despite her better judgement the wife gave me a 2006 Bowman Heritage baseball box and a 2007 Heritage baseball box. Will post any big hits.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

<< <i>Despite her better judgement the wife gave me a 2006 Bowman Heritage baseball box and a 2007 Heritage baseball box. Will post any big hits. >>

Will you be ripping today? Can't wait to see what you pull.
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This. - STOCK PHOTO, BTW.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    Did you get the matching furry slippers? image
  • Options
    All of this is great but my present was pretty sweet this year. This is my last Military Christmas (21 year Marine Corps) and I was able to have my kids wake me up for the first time in the last 5 years. I forgot how that just about makes Christmas. Merry Christmas everyone I hope your holidays are wonderful!
  • Options

<< <i>All of this is great but my present was pretty sweet this year. This is my last Military Christmas (21 year Marine Corps) and I was able to have my kids wake me up for the first time in the last 5 years. I forgot how that just about makes Christmas. Merry Christmas everyone I hope your holidays are wonderful! >>

That is awesome! An older gentleman once told me to enjoy them while they're young because life goes by way too fast. Glad to hear that's going to be easier for you to do from here on out image
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From me
    to me
  • Options
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Wow on that Broadway Joe!!! You give a great gift!
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭✭
    First off...I wish you all my fellow sports enthusiast and card collectors a merry xmas. Happy and safe new year.

My wife (we) spent much $ this year We made some donations to local charities. We work with the school district to buy all the xmas gifts for a child in need

We do this every year.

As a yankee fan love the 52 and I'm also doing the Philly sets so blazing perkins. Nice gift.

The Namath is just off the wall awesome.

My wife gave me ebay gift cards, some custom made chocolates yum yum and the dvd set of john Carson episodes. Maybe 7 of them in a box collection.

We had watched a infomercial and I must have laughed my butt off.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice Matt!

My son gave me 300 bucks!

He wants me to use it for something "I" would want. I'm looking right now. image
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>I've gotten cards for Christmas every year since I was 8, I turned 52 in November. Thanks to my wonderful wife (and family) for putting up with my card collecting and keeping the tradition alive. Got a card for my '52 set. Love the family.

image >>

That's super Doug! Congratulations - nice present.
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>I got tickets to Unbroken. I have been wanting to see the movie. I had the pleasure of exchanging letters with Louie several years ago. Here are pictures of what he passed along from our letters

On his Olympic letterhead
    image[/URL]

image[/URL] >>

Superb Kevin! My wife read the book and loved it. We're looking forward to seeing the movie.

Thanx!
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>I got a few really thoughtful gifts for my collections this year.

From my brother I got a Berra rookie, low grade but I'm thrilled with it

From my 14 year old son I got this 1950 Berra to go with the rookie

My 8 year old son has very little interest in sports but loves toys. My older son and I collect together a lot and so a few years ago I decided to start a very small collection of my favorite toy series from childhood, the 1970's Gabriel Lone Ranger Rides Again, so that my younger son and I could have a hobby together as well. I rarely add anything to this collection, but we look on ebay for stuff from time to time and it gives us something to do in common when we are out looking for the stuff he loves. The last two Christmas' he has picked out something for my Lone Ranger collection, this year I got Silver and Scout, here they are in my little office display.

Each item fits my collection but much more than that each item was very thoughtful which adds that much more to the item and my collection. >>

You scored Abe! Congratulations and Merry Christmas.
    Mike
  • Options
    Congratulations on the rip Justin - 25/25 - super!
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>image
    From me
    to me >>

Wow - very nice present to yourself Derek! A beauty.
    Mike
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff guys! Especially like the Batman PJs.

My 17 month old made out today. Checkout his haul!

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Just back from my folks house.got some fun stuff. A folio I asked for to store box bottoms and larger flats. I also turned my brother onto D&As Black Friday whick I think yielded some Panini and a 13 Chrome FB(which I also bought) and my mom hooked me up with some Archives that I told her I wanted as well as a box of 14 Prime FB. I've never opened any if this do it should be a fun few weeks.

Merry Christmas Gang!

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    jjwormjjworm Posts: 196 ✭✭
    Geez. You guys get great stuff. Alll I got was a summer sausage. That's it. My wife absolutely hates my hobbies (cards and model railroading).

(Sigh)

But I still love this time of year and try to spoil my kids.

Collecting:

- Post War baseball HOF RC's
    - 1980's unopened baseball
    - All Mutoscope and American Beauties

• Options
    I'll limit myself to the gifts that were sports cards and memorabilia:

Yaz McFarlane figure. Apparently it's some limited edition Cooperstown thing but I still plan to open it to display

4 cards for my 1959 Fleer Ted Williams set. Now 51/80 complete.

One of the Tippett items I've been most hungry to add to my collection is his 1988 Holsum Bread card. I got an uncut sheet of all 12 cards, including Tippett! I will update my Tippett thread when I get a minute.

All of the above were from my wife and kids. And then my brother gave me 3 packs of 2014 Topps football. I'm working on that set as well.

Merry Christmas everybody!
  • Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Great stuff guys! Especially like the Batman PJs.

image >>

I need to get that Atari flashback.
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>iPad Air from my wife. Killer deal. Somehow at staples $214 after taxes. It was $300 then somehow on one day she had a $100 off coupon. The guy at staples said that's the cheapest he's seen an iPad Air go out the door. It costs them $280 just to get them. I love it.

Yankees slippers
    Binoculars
    Creeper for my BMW to work on it under the car
    Home Depot gift card
    Yankee stadium 1000 piece puzzle
    No hobby related stuff except the awesome stuff from my secret santa >>

Lol! We must be long lost twins or something. We collect the same stuff (I was your Secret Santa and that Mattingly was a card from my personal collection image ) and then for Christmas my wife got me an Ipad Air as well and my mom got me the Yankee Stadium 1000 piece puzzle. How weird! My wife did get me a couple of autographed baseballs for my 500 home run auto ball collection - Willie Mays and Mark McGwire (I pointed her to a sale online at Steiner).

I just had to reply to your post after I read it. Too funny!

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options

<< <i>image
    From me
    to me >>

That card is incredible! Well done and enjoy.

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

-George F. Will
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Despite her better judgement the wife gave me a 2006 Bowman Heritage baseball box and a 2007 Heritage baseball box. Will post any big hits. >>

Will you be ripping today? Can't wait to see what you pull. >>

Got into the 06 Bowman. Nothing of note to report. Did get a auto.redemption card of John Drennen. Never heard of him. Is of no use as it expired on 12/31/08. Figures, get an auto. and has to be a redemption. That's the trouble with older wax. Maybe better luck with the 07 Heritage box.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    Can't find my phone or I would post pic's...

1. Vintage 1970's Charlie's Angels Board Game (I had a HUGE crush on Kate Jackson when I was a kid.)
    2. Some new flashlights from my kids.
    3. Vintage Indiana truck license plate for my garage.
    4. New water filtration system (I gave up all drinks except water and tea 3 months ago and I hate how our water tastes.)
    5. International tea's as I'm a big tea drinker.
    6. Cash from the in-law's which will go to purchase one of those little remote controlled helicopters.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Great stuff guys! Especially like the Batman PJs.

I need to get that Atari flashback. >>

I know, right?!

That's our gift image