Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Does PSA ever downgrade a card during re-holdering process?

Curious if anyone's heard of that happening.

As long as PSA doesn't deem the slab as being messed with, is it possible they see a card they are re-holdering and decide it's not as nice as the grade they first assigned?

Comments

• DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. If they deem the card a mistake, they will correct it, price the card in its new appropriate grade as per SMR, then reimburse you the difference based on what you paid.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Unless you request it under the grade guarantee.

Reviewed cards either bump or are sent back in same flip.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Accidents can happen during the reholdering process.
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Reviewed cards either bump or are sent back in same flip. >>

This is correct.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it does happen. I brought an 8OC there, as the card was dead centered and I believed there was a labeling issue. They handed it back to me in a 6 holder and explained it was a mistake grade on their part, and they cannot allow mistakes like that in the market if they can help it; they then proceeded to pay me the difference between a 6 in the SMR and what I paid, and explained this was their standard policy in such cases. I'd like to add they were totally friendly, articulate, and the service across the board was fantastic-- and the outcome just.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, it does happen. I brought an 8OC there, as the card was dead centered and I believed there was a labeling issue. They handed it back to me in a 6 holder and explained it was a mistake grade on their part, and they cannot allow mistakes like that in the market if they can help it; they then proceeded to pay me the difference between a 6 in the SMR and what I paid, and explained this was their standard policy in such cases. I'd like to add they were totally friendly, articulate, and the service across the board was fantastic-- and the outcome just. >>

Your scenario is a little different as you were bringing the card to them as a possible mechanical error. For a standard review sub, they will not crack out any card unless it bumps (or you give them permission to). In addition, a card graded 8OC should straight grade a 6 anyway. All of my 9s with PD qualifiers will typically straight grade two grades lower to NM 7. For registry purposes, a qualifier counts as two grades lower, though market values may be slightly different.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    A little over 10 years ago, I gave PSA a '60T Frank Robinson PSA 9 for reholdering. The holder was scratched up
    a little. It had the long bar code on the flip and was graded in the 1994-96 time frame. They proceeded to put the card in a PSA 7 holder
    due to tiny print dots. I didn't ask for a review but PSA gave me one anyway and lowered the grade
    by two full grades! I must add this was under the Rocchi/Baker regime.

In the end, I got back the card in a PSA 7 holder and PSA reimbursed me the difference in value with
    grading vouchers. It turned out okay, but I was still peeved they took it upon themselves to do all
    this without first contacting me. Plus this happened at a card show. So when I went to pick up the card,
    they had already done of all this without first asking me what I wanted to do.

If it was my choice, I'd have taken the card back in a PSA 9 holder.

• << <i>Accidents can happen during the reholdering process >>

+1 I can attest to that
    From what I can tell, 707 is the DOLLAR STORE compared to deans_cards. For what that guy charges, if I ever bought anything from him I would expect it to be delivered to me in a frickin' limo.
    ~WalterSobchak
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No. Unless you request it under the grade guarantee.

Reviewed cards either bump or are sent back in same flip. >>

I think we have a different scenario here, since the OP is referring to his wanting to have the card cracked open to remove lint and possibly have PSA dust/clean/remove fingerprints from the card. They'll need to open it in order to determine whether or not the fingerprints can be removed. At that point, it will become apparent whether the card's condition has somehow managed to decline over time with some sort of theoretical fingerprint oil or not, according to the other thread on this topic.

• Once sent in a '68 Bob Griese Rookie PSA 8 for reholdering and it got bumped to 8.5. Pleasant surprise. Didn't know it was possible and certainly wasn't going to call and complain.
  • JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    Recently sent in some cracked holders not affecting the cards plus a 65 Ford PSA 8 sitting in a penny sleeve in an old holder. Now you got me worried!