Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1976 Topps baseball wax trays

I have always enjoyed the factory sealed aspect of vintage wax trays, and their packaging, and I am always hunting for baseball wax trays, particularly those from 1978 and earlier. I was very happy to pick up these two 1976 trays, both of which have the 1974 wax pack wrapper variation, and from the same original box, which I thought was also kind of neat. Pre-1978 trays are very difficult to find in general, and even more so without any tears or pieces of cellophane missing from the corners of the tray, as the cellophane used by Topps to factory seal these trays was extremely thin and brittle.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Comments

• Options
    60sfan60sfan Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the photos and the backstory..........is this a recent pickup?...........how much are these selling for?
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    I think I see a tear in one of those. Look closely at that one corner. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think I see a tear in one of those. Look closely at that one corner. image >>

That is an optical illusion, LOL..or you might be drinking again...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I used my newly patented card-ray machine and I see a perfectly centered and clean Brett in the first tray. It is in the middle pack. Yeah, the middle pack. That's the ticket.

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks for the photos and the backstory..........is this a recent pickup?...........how much are these selling for? >>

Yes, I just picked them up recently. Trays have risen in value quite a bit over the past couple of years (79 trays I used to pick up for $35 a pop now go for $100+), so if I had to assign a retail value to a 76 tray in NM-MT condition, I would say right around $400-450, depending on condition.

Here are a few others from my run, which extends from 1974 through 1980...the way you can tell the difference between a 74 tray and a 76 tray with the same wrappers is by the pack price (10c vs 15c) and by the cardboard tray itself (Topps changed the tray in late 1969 for the 1970 tray and again in late 1974 for the 1975 tray) and the product code. The second 74 tray features packs with the Bonus Team Checklist..

• Options
    Topps used same tray backing for both 1975 and 1976 issues, changing only the promo expiration date..

• Options
    Before changing the tray (and product code) again for the 1977 trays.

• Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    And here is its football brethren that I picked up from BBCE right after they got back from the National...

Snorto~

• Options

<< <i>And here is its football brethren that I picked up from BBCE right after they got back from the National...

Snorto~ >>

Very nice! And that is a great year for football, too!

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Nice trays guys. Was 69 the first year for them?

I think they are my favorite form of unopened material, yet I don't have many. The lot Steve had during National was impressive, but I wasn't there nor do I see many available...and they're starting to get a little cost prohibitive, but they are cool.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013

<< <i>Nice trays guys. Was 69 the first year for them? >>

For Topps Baseball, I believe 1967 was the first year for wax trays.

For Topps Football it was 1957, then 1963, before producing them consistently from 1970 to 1979.

The only football wax trays I see consistently are 1979 and, to a lesser degree, 1978.

Snorto~
  • Options
    I've seen a photo of a 65 bb tray, so they go back at least that far. I believe I heard somewhere the first year was 62, but I've never seen even a photo of one. For that matter, I've never seen a photo of a 71 or 73 bb tray, either. In 69, a tray consisted of SIX nickel packs. (1970 was first year of 10c packs and three pack trays.) I believe Manny (flatfoot) may have a 69 tray. I recall it sold at auction about 7 years ago via Mile High for (I want to say) $5,400?

• Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Tim, you never cease to amaze me with your variety of product. Thanks for sharing your wax tray collection again.
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Awesome collection. Always loved the 77 wrapper.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2017 4:09PM
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    AWESOME items Tim! I think you are correct - Manny bought a 6 pack '69 Tray a while ago.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What makes me jealous of Tim's trays is the fresh, like new condition. My trays from '77 through '80 are nice and fresh, but I've just never come across ones like that from '76 or earlier.
  • Options
    flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    picked this up many years ago when jerseyfive sold his collection. What a piece!
    6 pristine '69 wax packs.

image[/URL][/L]
  • Options
    Too bad GAI doesn't know as much about wax trays as Tim does...there was a time when that would have surprised me but that time is long past!

"1974" tray
  • Options

<< <i>Too bad GAI doesn't know as much about wax trays as Tim does...there was a time when that would have surprised me but that time is long past!

"1974" tray >>

Since I don't collect wax trays, I'm assuming that auction is actually for a 1976 one based on the price and back of the cardboard advertisement, but GAI screwed the pooch again. Boy, Tim is going to be proud of me. image

Collecting:
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Mike, I was just about to say the same thing. It is a 1976 trays with packs in the 1974 wrappers.
  • Options

<< <i>Mike, I was just about to say the same thing. It is a 1976 trays with packs in the 1974 wrappers. >>

You pick up a lot of useful things reading these boards, especially items you don't actively collect. My deal with Tim is he stays out of the 80's and I leave wax trays and 1975 mini unopened alone. He seems to have started encroaching on my territory although I can't blame him with the way prices have got on the 70's stuff.

Collecting:
  • Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭
    You guys ever sleep?

I see postings from 1am - 6 am.
  • Options

<< <i>You guys ever sleep?

I see postings from 1am - 6 am. >>

I only sleep about 5 hours a night. Lots of stuff to do.

Collecting:
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting these Tim. One of my earliest hobby memories is seeing a 1976 baseball wax tray at an ice cream parlor. I had to choose which to buy. Unfortunately I picked the ice cream! image
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    Awesome rack Tim (that sounds kinda weird when one guy tells another guy that!)

Topps definitely made racks in 1962 and 1964

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    as well as 6 pack trays in 1966

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options

<< <i>Too bad GAI doesn't know as much about wax trays as Tim does...there was a time when that would have surprised me but that time is long past!

"1974" tray >>

I emailed that seller to tell him that GAI had messed up in labeling that tray as a 74 tray and he thanked me for the info but never revised the listing. That was a couple months ago.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Mike, I was just about to say the same thing. It is a 1976 trays with packs in the 1974 wrappers. >>

You pick up a lot of useful things reading these boards, especially items you don't actively collect. My deal with Tim is he stays out of the 80's and I leave wax trays and 1975 mini unopened alone. He seems to have started encroaching on my territory although I can't blame him with the way prices have got on the 70's stuff. >>

We call that the Unopened Treaty, LOL..

Moran, those are the photos I was thinking of for the 60s trays--great stuff! Have you ever seen even a photo for a 71 or 73 baseball tray? Can you imagine what a 71 tray would command?

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

You pick up a lot of useful things reading these boards, especially items you don't actively collect. My deal with Tim is he stays out of the 80's and I leave wax trays and 1975 mini unopened alone. He seems to have started encroaching on my territory although I can't blame him with the way prices have got on the 70's stuff. >>

Moran, those are the photos I was thinking of for the 60s trays--great stuff! Have you ever seen even a photo for a 71 or 73 baseball tray? Can you imagine what a 71 tray would command? >>

I just checked Mark Murphy's unopened pack guide. Unfortunately he only shows 1967, 1969 and 1975-79. He does list prices for 1971 and 1973, stating only 1st series. For the other pre-1973 trays that have hit the market, are their multiple series' from each year or only a single series? Have any high number 1967 or 1972 trays been unsurfaced?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Moran, those are the photos I was thinking of for the 60s trays--great stuff! Have you ever seen even a photo for a 71 or 73 baseball tray? Can you imagine what a 71 tray would command? >>

I just checked Mark Murphy's unopened pack guide. Unfortunately he only shows 1967, 1969 and 1975-79. He does list prices for 1971 and 1973, stating only 1st series. For the other pre-1973 trays that have hit the market, are their multiple series' from each year or only a single series? Have any high number 1967 or 1972 trays been unsurfaced? >>

I know the 69 trays, including the one that Manny posted (Awesome tray, Manny!) were 1st series, as were the 70s and (I believe) the 72s. That, and the list prices you referred to for first series trays may partially account for how scarce they are if they were produced in limited numbers for just the first series that year.

There was a recent thread about how scarce an 86 Fleer bkb case has become, but I'd venture to say that a 71 and 73 (or 64, 65 or 66) baseball wax tray is even rarer, as we not only have never seen one up for sale, but in the case of 71 and 73 trays, we have never even seen a photo of one (to my knowledge at least), even though we know Topps did produce them.

• Options
    MacrosBMacrosB Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    I love the trays Grote. Thought I would add this picture in since Flatfoot already covered the 69. Now who has a 70 tray they can show.

Jim

Looking for 66 and 69 OPC baseball
    60's OPC packs
    72 BB, 60's FB, 71FB, 73FB, 74FB, 75FB, 76FB, 78FB Rack Packs
    72 and earlier BB cello
  • Options
    Terrific tray, Jim. I remember when one was listed years ago on Steve's site for $1,100 (which seems like a bargain now). Yours must be much more recent though judging by the shrinkwrap.

The 70 tray was the first 3-pack tray (instead of 6) and was first year of cardboard backing design Topps used through 1974.

• Options
    Don't know who owns it, but here it is:

• Options
    I hate BBCE sealing with these trays. It hides the kind of defects that are so common with trays. When buying on the secondary market, you don't know what you're getting until it's too late.
  • Options
    I wonder if pre-1967 really existed. It's possible that Topps printed up brochures with the trays showing but maybe actually never produced them. Or there may have been a few produced as a test but not actually distributed? We may never know.
  • Options
    Strange that '73 baseball hasn't turned up, but both '73 basketball and hockey have.....
  • Options

<< <i>Strange that '73 baseball hasn't turned up, but both '73 basketball and hockey have..... >>

+1

This puzzles me as well.

• Options
    Here's a nice small article about trays written by Chris Muccio, a great guy to deal with and author of the 1970 Topps Unopened pack guide.

1970s Wax Trays

• Options

<< <i>I wonder if pre-1967 really existed. It's possible that Topps printed up brochures with the trays showing but maybe actually never produced them. Or there may have been a few produced as a test but not actually distributed? We may never know. >>

This is an interesting theory as well. You would think that after all these years, we'd have seen an example or two by now. I would think, though, that there had to be at least a 73 tray, if not a 71, as Topps was already producing them by then.