Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

NEWP French Hammered Gold ECU d'Or

Louis XII (1498-1515), Écu d'or with porcupine minted in Bourges (point 22th and B at the end of obverse's and reverse's legends) struck in accordance with the ordinance of the 19th November 1507

imageimage

LOUIS XII, King of France, was grandson of Louis of Orleans, the brother of Charles VI, and son of the poet prince, Charles of Orleans, who, after the battle of Agincourt, spent twenty-five years of captivity in England.

Louis was Duke of Orleans until his accession to the throne, and he was fourteen years old when Louis XI gave him the hand of his second daughter, Joan the Lame. In the first years of the reign of Charles VIII, Louis made a determined stand against the government of the Beaujeus, stirred up coalitions of the feudal nobles against them, and was finally defeated and taken prisoner at St Aubin du Cormier in 1488. Charles VIII set him at liberty in 1491. These successive checks tamed him a little. In the Italian expedition of 1494 he commanded the vanguard of the royal army, occupied Genoa, and remained in the north of Italy, menacing Milan, on which he was already dreaming of asserting his rights.

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, and the history is always interesting also.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Thank you. These Porcupines area tough ones to find.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lovely. The porcupines have real character, too.

One day I'll have another ecu d'or. Had one from Francis I one time.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Thank you. I hope sure you get that d'Or LM.

The die they used on this one must have been in its last days, Multiple Hairline cracks and mush for some detail without being worn. I picked this one out of a choice of 3 the dealer had. This one was the only one with the dot in the middle of the cross. image
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    Nice gold porcupine image
    I have one also .. need to find some pics
  • Options
    They would be a nice addition to the thread. Thanks
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Very nice Boz!
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭✭
    Love those porcupines! Beautiful design.
  • Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    Here some pics of the one I have:

Type: Ecu d’or au Porcepic Date: ND (1498-1515)
    Certification: NGC #3370683-001 Grade: AU 58
    Coin Information:
    Design: OBVERSE: Crowned arms flanked by two porcupines. Legend: ✚LVDOVICVS : DEI: GRACIA: FRANCORVM: REX♣ [Louis, By the Grace of God, King of France] ~ REVERSE: Floriated cross in two angles an “L” and in two angles a porcupine. The dot under the 12th letter denotes the mint. Legend: ✚XPS: VINCIT: XPS: REGNAT: XPS: IMPERAT♣ [Christ Overcomes, Christ Reigns, Christ Orders]. The obverse & reverse legends are punctuated by two superimposed beaded rings.
    Mint: Lyons
    Mintage: Unknown
    References: Fr. 325 / Dy.655 / C.909
    Specifications: Diameter – 26.0mm
    Weight – 3.420 g. @ 0.9630 Gold = .1059 oz AGW
    Acquired: 2010
    Providence: None
    Notes:
    - King Louis XII was also known as the “The Father of the People”. During the reign of Louis XII (1498-1515), France was in an era of prosperity and economic development; at the same time experiencing an extreme enlightenment of arts, literature and science.
    - The actual mint date of this coin is November 19,1507.
    - Noted French numismatic house, cgb.fr, has this coin noted as a Rarity R2 on a scale of Common >R-R3.
    - Very rare in this grade and condition (strong strike, full planchet)!!

imageimage
  • Options
    Beautiful, that is the rarest type. With the porcupine facing inward.

If want to see some Eye candy from a seller. Check this guy out and his d'or and more.

French Seller