Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What active players do you collect?

Seems like a lot of the cards I see here are vintage. I tend to collect things from the 1980's and earlier myself but I do have some very small player collections of active players. What active players does everyone else collect. Feel free to respond with name and add scans if you want. I would like to see some cool pics of cards on this thread.

The active players I collect right now are (in no particular order). :

Lebron James
Kevin Durant
Andrew Luck

I would also like to add a Kobe Bryant RC at some point. I may also try to get a nice Mike Trout RC or two.
I am also trying to get some very low value base cards of Stephen Curry (his favorite basketball player) for my 5 year old son

Thanks for sharing.

Steve
Steve

Comments

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Here are my best two Andrew Luck cards. You never know with active players, especially second year players, but I think he has a shot to go down as one of the all timers. He is carrying a pretty poor Colts team right now. The Panini Elite autograph is pretty cool in person. Much of the card is clear like an acetate card I think. I am looking to pick up PSA 10's of him now when I can get it for a great price.

[URL=http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/slum22/media/AndrewLuckPaniniEliteandPrestigeAutos_zps15e79292.jpg.html]image[/URL]

I will add scans of some of my other modern players soon. Hopefully others will add their too.

Steve
    Steve
  • Options
    That's a great Luck card!

I'm a big fan of Peterson and Calvin and collect a lot of Topps Chrome football from the last 10 years or so. I don't have any of the Chrome rookie autos of those two but I always have my eyes open looking around. I'm patiently awaiting the return of a subbed Rodgers 2005 Xfractor Auto that is perfectly centered.
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yu Darvish
    Mike Trout
    Freddie Freeman
    Matt Harvey
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭
    David Wright
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    I have a rather significant Matt Davidson collection. Was rather thankful to see him traded to the Sox.
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Does Mariano Rivera count? I went a little crazy on his Topps Chrome cards this year. The entire run of non 1/1 cards. I will do something similar with Andrew McCutchen on some upcoming issue.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Totally over the top Tom! Incredible. Thanx for sharing.

Fun focus for anyone who wants a project.

Mike
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    That is one awesone Mariano rainbow you got going there. Is it complete except for the 1/1 ?
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    It is complete except for the 1/1. The pink is /5. I haven't seen the superfractor 1/1 - don't know where that is.
  • Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trout and Jeter
    I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    Jeter, Puig, Peyton Manning, Russell Wilson.
  • Options
    Jeter as well for me
  • Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    I have one lebron James bgs 9.5 rc. I don't collect active players right now. I do need to pick up some Kobe BGS 9.5 rc's though, maybe in the near future.
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I collect Andy Pettitte but he's not active anymore.

When Tom shared his Rivera 2013 chrome project with me I got inspired to try it for myself with Carlos Beltran, the set is complete except for the 1/1 super refractor, here is a picture of a few of them

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    RyanAdmirer--two pretty good choices for FB. Good luck with the Rodgers sub. That is a nice card to have.

Hallco--That's a good list. Interesting they are from different teams. Back in the day I collected Will Clark (and I have started to again) because he was the best player on my favorite team. Now I collect players more than teams. I wonder if this is a trend because so many games are on TV and/or the influence of fantasy.

jackstraw--your avatar is Griffey and you collect Wright. So along the same lines as Hallco are one of these guys from your favorite team or did the player just jump out at you?

tkd7--Mariano counts... he's at least close enough. I'm not much of a modern collector but I have heard of the term "rainbow" describing the different colored parallels. Looks like you are close to completion. That is pretty cool. How do you even come across all the parallels? Do you just scour eBay for them and wait for them to show up?

76 Collector--Good choices. I think Trout has and will come up often in this thread going forward. It's too early to speculate too much but he is off to a historic start to his career.

Tishasheree--Puig got expensive very quickly. I wonder if his cards will get cheaper from where they are now. I have been thinking of picking up some Russell Wilson cards, maybe an auto or two. Seems like he could be a star in the making especially if the Seahawks win the Super Bowl. He could be a media darling, but being in the Northwest he's going to have to win Super Bowls to get attention.

MrNearMint--Which Lebron do you have? I went a little crazy for his Topps Chrome RC this past year. I will post some scans of what I have in a post soon. I wonder if Kobe cards will fall off, flatten out or bump as he hits the end of his career.

Kid4hof03--Nice rainbow yourself on Beltran. Pretty great player. Any reason you chose that player and that card?
    Steve
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Jeter.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    Here is my Lebron collection. I buy my son some very low end modern boxes to open and I believe he pulled one base 2012 Lebron card at some point. Aside from that card these are all my Lebron cards.

[URL=http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/slum22/media/Image40_zpsb3191e8b.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    [URL=http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/slum22/media/2003ToppsChromeLebronBGS95x3PSA9_zps94755dae.jpeg.html]image[/URL]

I actually just sold the PSA 9 card on eBay. I figured since I picked up the 10's I may as well part with the 9 and use the money for something else. Somewhat funny story about that card. There was a thread not too long ago asking if anyone ever bought back the same card they sold. I actually bought this card this summer. Sold it on eBay for a small profit after I picked up my first PSA 10. Then I saw it being sold on eBay a few months later and saw it was going for much less than I sold it for. I threw in a low bid and actually bought the card back for much less than what I sold it for from the same person I sold it to. Then today I ended up selling it again for what I sold it for the first time. So this card has been pretty good to me. I wonder if we will cross paths againimage
    Steve
  • Options

<< <i>tkd7--Mariano counts... he's at least close enough. I'm not much of a modern collector but I have heard of the term "rainbow" describing the different colored parallels. Looks like you are close to completion. That is pretty cool. How do you even come across all the parallels? Do you just scour eBay for them and wait for them to show up?
    >>

Collecting parallels like that is a mix of timing and persistence. It is best to do it right as the issue hits the street and there is a flood of opened product on ebay. The key is to try to buy the cards after a few weeks when there is a large supply but the initial demand of gotta have it no matter the cost has been met. The pink /5 issue was the one that I did make sure I got as soon as I found one, the rest I won in ebay auctions or best offers at recent sale prices. Unless there is a superfractor that surfaces, I'm done with Rivera.

I'm doing it a little different for Jeter, I'm just collecting a base and chrome card of his from Topps Heritage each year, so that is more about persistence.
  • Options

<< <i>Kid4hof03--Nice rainbow yourself on Beltran. Pretty great player. Any reason you chose that player and that card? >>

Honestly, the only reason I chose the card was I saw Tom's progress on the Mariano and thought it was a great idea and a fun project. I chose Beltran because he is a player I have always liked but I have never wanted to actually jump in and "collect" him. I waffled back and forth between Beltran and Buster Posey, I have picked up a few of the Posey refractors, but then found the Beltran's were easier to find and a lot cheaper so I just kept going. I actually finished the entire set in about 6 weeks all from ebay, it was a lot of fun and I might just keep working on the Posey because I really like the cards.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    can't start any active players till i am done with Favre. which means i never will.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    BobHBobH Posts: 206 ✭✭

<< <i>Jeter, Puig, Peyton Manning, Russell Wilson. >>

These + Miguel Cabrera
    Interested in 60's and 70's psa and raw star and hof cards
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>tkd7--Mariano counts... he's at least close enough. I'm not much of a modern collector but I have heard of the term "rainbow" describing the different colored parallels. Looks like you are close to completion. That is pretty cool. How do you even come across all the parallels? Do you just scour eBay for them and wait for them to show up?
    >>

Collecting parallels like that is a mix of timing and persistence. It is best to do it right as the issue hits the street and there is a flood of opened product on ebay. The key is to try to buy the cards after a few weeks when there is a large supply but the initial demand of gotta have it no matter the cost has been met. The pink /5 issue was the one that I did make sure I got as soon as I found one, the rest I won in ebay auctions or best offers at recent sale prices. Unless there is a superfractor that surfaces, I'm done with Rivera.

I'm doing it a little different for Jeter, I'm just collecting a base and chrome card of his from Topps Heritage each year, so that is more about persistence. >>

Thanks for the tips. I have never thought about doing a project like that but it would sounds like it would be pretty fun. The way you're collecting Jeter is smart too. One of the reasons I never really got back into collecting modern players is because there are so many sets and inserts within sets it never seemed manageable.
    Steve
  • Options
    Slum22- Those James cards are AmazeBalls!!!
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Kid4hof03--Nice rainbow yourself on Beltran. Pretty great player. Any reason you chose that player and that card? >>

Honestly, the only reason I chose the card was I saw Tom's progress on the Mariano and thought it was a great idea and a fun project. I chose Beltran because he is a player I have always liked but I have never wanted to actually jump in and "collect" him. I waffled back and forth between Beltran and Buster Posey, I have picked up a few of the Posey refractors, but then found the Beltran's were easier to find and a lot cheaper so I just kept going. I actually finished the entire set in about 6 weeks all from ebay, it was a lot of fun and I might just keep working on the Posey because I really like the cards. >>

I am a Giants fan so I would love to see you post scans of a similar Posey project if you go through with it. I think he's one of the more underrated players in the sport and hobby. He's been ROY, MVP and won two WS in his first four years. Not many people have that kind of resume in 15 years much less 4.
    Steve
  • Options

<< <i>

Honestly, the only reason I chose the card was I saw Tom's progress on the Mariano and thought it was a great idea and a fun project. I chose Beltran because he is a player I have always liked but I have never wanted to actually jump in and "collect" him. I waffled back and forth between Beltran and Buster Posey, I have picked up a few of the Posey refractors, but then found the Beltran's were easier to find and a lot cheaper so I just kept going. I actually finished the entire set in about 6 weeks all from ebay, it was a lot of fun and I might just keep working on the Posey because I really like the cards. >>

Abe, you never knew you would be collecting a future Yankee, eh?
  • Options
    Hey Tom, that did work out well for me!
  • Options
    None for me, although I do collect insert sets as recent as 2012, I don't focus on or collect any active player.

Snorto~
  • Options
    Trout & Luck - True Gem Mint BGS's
    Harper - PSA 10s
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    None at this time. Everybody I collect is retired. I've thought about starting an Adrian Beltre personal collection but not sure how serious I would be about it. All in or not all is the way I would go and right now it's not at all image
  • Options
    ThoseBackPages--why BGS for Trout and Luck but PSA for Harper?

RyanAdmirer--LOL. Thanks. I am happy with that stash of Lebrons. I meant to stop picking up any more when I had two each PSA and BGS Gem Mints. Is it a sign of a problem that I think I have a fifth PSA 10 but I can't remember for sure? I will have to check the closet sometime. I think I would still add more if I see PSA 10's around $280 or all 9.5 subs BGS around $200-220.

Steve
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    I used to collect all the rookies, but as everyone knows, thats not realistic or profitable anymore. I now collect future HOfer's or at least try and pick the HOFer's.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    Clayon Kershaw, LAD.
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases