Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1999 manny pacquiao rookie on eBay

Im not really suprized that this would resurface on eBay. I dont know if someone is sitting on a stock pile of these magazines or not. It was 2 years since the the last time I saw this for sale and when I bought it. Its great news that psa will grade this. Hopefully I'll have mine slabbed soon. This is a great card that I thin a lot of boxing collectors don't know about. It should be an interesting auction
Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here

Comments

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1999 Manny P

This card is a winner.

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    I've been asking other sellers I've dealt with in japan if they have this card or magazine and neither of the guys I've dealt with did or were able to track one down in the past month.. The seller on ebay now is the same guy I bought mine from and its the 3rd one he has listed in the past month. I don't think the card is ever going to be very common. But I wouldn't be surprised if this seller has more. He also seems to know its fairly valuable because when I offered him a price to end the auction early he pretty much told me no shot.. I'm really interested to see what this ends at so I have an idea if I over paid or not.. Unlike the tyson rookie... No early action
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    I see a PSA 5 sold on EBay for $231. Seems pretty strong.

PSA 5
  • Options
    I saw that. The seller is a board member.
  • Options
    They are coming out of the woodwork. Eagle's PSA 10 will hopefully sell soon. A uncut sheet just sold too.

They have dried up in Japan recently.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Strong sale for a PSA 5, Eagles did sell his PSA 10.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Very nice!
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    hey gang, just a quick note that I was the one who bought the PSA 10 from eagles, and I'll be selling it this week as a no reserve auction on ebay, starting bid 0.01. 100% of the sales price will go to a charity working with typhoon yolanda relief efforts, probably the International Rescue Committee if ebay doesn't have a good Yolanda-specific charity set up by then. Was in that area just a few months back, really heartbreaking to see it all wiped away.
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    Commendable! Wish I had the funds to put in a solid bid for you. I noticed that PayPal has a way to contribute to disaster relief on their front page.
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    I'll be putting in bids! When does it start?
  • Options
    thanks Sumo! I'll launch it as a 10-day starting Thursday night, will update this thread when it's live. Although I could do the paypal payment too, for transparency (and hopefully more bids!) I wanted to tie the card to the charity directly from the auction.

Oh yeah, for those who aren't aware, Manny is Filipino, hence the auction.
  • Options
    I hope this auction will get a lot of attention to spur bidding from people looking to help!
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    And auction is now live. Good luck, all!
  • Options
    Nice gesture. Ill try to win it back. I have a feeling auction was the way to go... I think it will go for mor than you paid.
  • Options
    I hope it does, Eagles - that would be great to see. Do many here have experience with charity auctions on ebay? Do they have an influence on hammer prices at all?
  • Options
    Certainly got some early action!
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice gesture. Hope the karma comes back your way.

Arthur
  • Options
    I just placed a bid. Good luck!
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreeing with other, incredibly generous gesture. Since I don't collect boxing, but do have a neighbor's family impacted, my donation was made direct with their collection effort. I hope the card sells for a record breaking amount.
  • Options
    I'm not sure if the original poster wants me to share the details of our sale so I won't.. .. But as a point of reference the psa 9 sold for 1200.. This is a really nice gesture and a pretty significant donation.
  • Options
    Thanks guys, appreciated - but it's ultimately a small (easy) gesture for a pretty bad situation that will be rough for months and years. I've seen a lot of great gestures on these boards over the years, just happy to do my bit where I can.
  • Options
    500 already... Starting to have sellers remorse. I should have listed it as an auction. At this rate you should do really well. Definitely interesting to watch. Is this just the market doing its thing or do you think the fact that it's for charity is boosting the interest.
  • Options
    This auction had some pretty early fire for sure.
  • Options
    One more day on this auction. I hope it finishes strong!
  • Options
    Thanks Sumo - was going to give a Fight Night bump myself, but you beat me to it! A lot of watchers on this, let's see where it ends up.
  • Options
    Pretty smart timing on the auction. You've already got bids in no matter which way tonight's fight goes. People are probably more actively looking at him due to this fight. And if he wins, price could jump nicely tomorrow.
  • Options
    It passed the $1k threshold.
  • Options
    great timing for this auction all the way around.
  • Options
    Final Bid: US $1,375.00 [ 33 bids ]
  • Options
    That is a great sale...And strong price! Congrats and a great auction for charity.
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone who spread the word about this auction. Nice to see a good hammer price for the cause - and five different bidders over $1k for a tough boxing card.
  • Options
    Very nice sale. Congrats
  • Options
    Joe O retweeted about this Pac Man sale on the front page of this site......
  • Options
    Can you post it here?
  • Options

Dan Rafael ✔ @danrafaelespn

@JoeOrlandoPSA Good timing for this auction. A PSA 10 Pacquiao rookie card just sold on ebay for $1,375. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=111215959938&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBUAA:US:3160

Retweeted by Joe Orlando

Manny Pacquiao 1999 Japan World Boxing PSA 10 RC Rookie Philippines...

Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop, Cards, Boxing | eBay
    eBay @eBay
    Hide Summary
  • Options
    neat, thanks for the heads up on that guys - looks like it was Dan Rafael from ESPN that first tweeted about it - maybe he's a collector too?
  • Options
    I wish there was a tweet before the sale but I do think that it did really well.
  • Options
    I have had the PSA 10 that was listed on EBAY on my watch list since it came up.

I noticed it just sold for $1,250.

• Options
    Very strong sale.
  • Options
    A raw mag with the Manny RC just sold for $400 - prices keep getting stronger on this one.
  • Options
    The PSA 10 may have been a decent deal with raw ones at those prices.....
  • Options
    Yeah, maybe. Cutting anything to a PSA 8 or better could make some decent coin at that price, but I'd worry a bit about spider creases that could take it down, especially given how he's holding the mag in one of those photos. Or maybe it's someone who wants a complete mag - those are rare as heck now given the fact that most recent finds have been cut.
  • Options
    I have another one coming from Japan in a bit. I took a gamble on a 1999 1-12 month set that I hope the card sheets are still in the magazines.
  • Options
    Just let me know if you break them up sumo - I still need about 15-20 panels for my set. Also, who else you think might sell well slabbed from this set? I could see the Ali hitting $100 in a PSA 10, and maybe $50 for the Galaxy RC.
  • Options
    There have been 4 Ali cards graded so far and 8 Manny cards. Maybe the Galaxy would be the only other one people are really chasing from this set. Not sure if the Lewis, de la Hoya or Tapia cards are sought after.
  • Options
    I have a bunch of new 1999 magazines. Let me know which ones you need.