Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Need help with value of 1958 Vatican 9 coin set

This is the set with the 100 Lire gold coin. My 2012 Krause skips this date.

TIA
Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
My Ebay

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ttt

Don't know-

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Numismaster does not list sets, just individual coins, so without seeing the designs and denominations, I won't be much help.

Regarding just the 100L gold coin, Numismaster lists the 1958 as having a mintage of 3,000 pieces and a price in UNC of $3,000. Bullion weight is .1502 oz AGW, so obviously this is not a bullion piece, assuming the listed price bears any relation to real world prices.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭
    The 1958 L100 gold is one of the more common Vatican gold Lire 100 coins, and is a two year type (1957-8). An NGC 65 sold on ebay for just under $1k earlier this month which frankly surprises me and IMHO was at the very high end for this coin altho there is currently another piece offered as a BIN from Italy at the same price. The gold is the key piece of the mint set and the other pieces might add an additional $75-100 to the retail value of the set. This assumes the coins are all nice of course. A few years ago, I purchased a set to get the coin for my L100 date set. The other 8 coins are all fairly common and I don't recall paying much of a premium for the set over the value of the gold piece itself.

edited to add: I just checked Heritage's archives and found two of the gold coins sold in 2012 for $558 and $575 (also a MS 65) which would suggest a set retail value of 625-650.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    would LOVE some photos
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE