Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I just opened 3 boxes of 1991 Topps and....

Comments

• Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    I bet no Nolan Ryan either.

They are almost always in the same pack (Griffey, Sr., Tony Gwynn, Ronnie Walden as well)
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Scott. At least they were regular Topps and not Desert Shield.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    DodgerfanjohnDodgerfanjohn Posts: 490 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I bought the 3 boxes thinking at the minimum I'd get 3, 1 per box. >>

Depending on the type of box, thats not even close.

Wax, I don't think you even average 2 of any given card per 3 wax boxes.
  • Options
    DodgerFanJohn is correct.

Perfect collation for 1991 Topps would be almost exactly 2 cards for every 3 boxes.

The best is when you get that one card you're looking for -- and it's
    back is marred by wax. Or the front is the top card and gum-stained.

If every pack has 2 marred cards then 13 per pack * 36 packs = 468 good cards per box.
    1991 Topps set is 792 so each box is .59 of the set with perfect collation. Need 5 boxes to get
    three potntially gradeable good cards on average. But I've had runs of at least 5 boxes from 1991
    without getting a card that I'm looking for.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the PSA 10 collector he didn't exist.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Yep, I have a monster box of 3500-4000 cards and I can't make a set. And I'm not just short a few cards either.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    Ripped a box today and the Chipper was again in the same pack with Griffey, Sr., Ronnie Walden and Nolan Ryan.

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    ToadManToadMan Posts: 219 ✭✭
    I just finished opening a box a few weeks ago and in my very last pack of the box, bottom right corner, was a chipper that also included the Ryan.
  • Options
    a VERY gracious soul sent me free of charge a psa 9 chipper not long after I posted this....just got it today!!
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone still pull vintage cards from those packs? If I recall, cards with a Beckett value below a certain amount at the time ($50?) were inserted in the packs while those more valuable were represented by a redeemable certificate.
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone still pull vintage cards from those packs? If I recall, cards with a Beckett value below a certain amount at the time ($50?) were inserted in the packs while those more valuable were represented by a redeemable certificate. >>

Drink up.
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone still pull vintage cards from those packs? If I recall, cards with a Beckett value below a certain amount at the time ($50?) were inserted in the packs while those more valuable were represented by a redeemable certificate. >>

I've gotten several from wax packs in the last two years.

They're usually a common that is at best ex-mt condition.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the PSA 10 collector he didn't exist.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • Options
    metsmets Posts: 243 ✭✭
    I picked this one out of some of the variation wax (really a cello type pack) Steve had on his website last year

image[/URL][/IMG] [/URL]">71 topps from 91 topps
  • Options
    metsmets Posts: 243 ✭✭
    One more try.

I think that's better now