Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1975 mini Nolan Ryan PSA 8.5 – how to maximize the return?

I am considering selling this card. Seeking ideas on the best way to maximize the return. I know two PSA 9s sold for $1,400 and $1,500 on eBay but the price for PSA 8’s drops to $150. What could I expect an 8.5 to return?
Resubmitting is an option but this card was initially graded as trimmed even though it was self subbed from a BBCE sealed box. I don’t dare crack it out for fear of another ‘trimmed’ (even though it fills the holder). I think a review in the PSA holder is most likely a waste because of the theory that PSA would be prejudiced to the grade it was already given.
Any ideas? Maybe start on eBay with a really high ‘Buy It Now’ and take the price lower each week? Consign to Rick or to PWCC? Can anyone tell me the VCP for an 8.5? (Not sure if there even is a VCP for half-grades).

Daniel

Comments

• Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Here is VCP.

10/28/12 eBay Image feartheterps e***d BIN $449.99
    6/15/12 eBay Image slugsports 0***h 13 $292.15
    2/9/12 eBay Image probstein123 s***d 14 $339.34
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>10/28/12 eBay Image feartheterps e***d BIN $449.99 >>

That's Lee's account (aka CDsNuts), so I suggest sending PM and ask for his opinion.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    I think your going to achieve what it is your trying to achieve via this board. There are plenty of Mini collectors on this board. Thats a nice Ryan. I would think someone would give you a nice offer on it, relative VCP. I would think that the last sale on VCP would be the basement of what that card is worth, with card pricing increasing like they have recently. I have $500 in my head as a good selling price. That's just about where the PSA 8.5 regular sized 75 Topps close, depending on centering.

Edit to add: Good Luck~!
  • Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok I will play the devil's advocate.....image I have to ask...why sell it? Obviously if you need the money there's no explanation needed, but if not, it's a super card that collectors would be proud to have in their collection. image
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $500 here and $550 BIN on ebay without best offer.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>Consign to Rick......? >>

indisputably.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Consign to PWCC? >>

You'll be smiling like a Cheshire cat.
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hallco - To answer the why sell question: I don't need the money but I'm trying to end the year as close to 'even' between my hobby buying and selling as possible. Last year I ended at around $3K net 'out'. I was pretty much even through around May this year. Right now, I'm close to $600 on the net 'out' side. I do collect 1975 mini's of HOFers and do have an 8 OC Ryan. Qualifiers don't bother me too much.
    Daniel
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    PSA 8.5s usually seem to sell in the 2x-3x range compared to a PSA 8 in my experience with post war cards up to
    the mid-70s.

Usually the ones that go closer to 3x are things like 1971s, 1975 minis, and other issues that PSA seems to look
    at with a bit more scrutiny.

Good luck with your effort.

Dave
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    Really depends on the multiple that a 9 carries to the 8. Many minis hardly carry a premium at all in 8.5 and few carry the premium they should. That said, key cards can break that rule a bit and none more so than the Ryan.

If it were my card, I would try to bump it or cross it to BVG and/or SGC before I sold it as is. You wont get PSA 9 money, but you will get more than PSA 8.5 money. Nice as it is, it is unlikely to bump simply because of what card it is.

All of that said, really nice card, and I would take 500 in a second if it were mine.

1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    jgrigalijgrigali Posts: 364 ✭✭
    start with a reasonable, but high ebay auction listing.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PSA 8.5s usually seem to sell in the 2x-3x range compared to a PSA 8 in my experience with post war cards up to
    the mid-70s.

Usually the ones that go closer to 3x are things like 1971s, 1975 minis, and other issues that PSA seems to look
    at with a bit more scrutiny.

What examples do you have? The cards I have followed and/or bought have been around 1.5 X the 8 or less. Some sell for barely more than the 8. Most of my 8.5s are from thr 60s.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hallco - To answer the why sell question: I don't need the money but I'm trying to end the year as close to 'even' between my hobby buying and selling as possible. Last year I ended at around $3K net 'out'. I was pretty much even through around May this year. Right now, I'm close to $600 on the net 'out' side. I do collect 1975 mini's of HOFers and do have an 8 OC Ryan. Qualifiers don't bother me too much. >>

With everything you have already mentioned I would crack and re submit a couple times before I sold.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    CollectorAtWorkCollectorAtWork Posts: 859 ✭✭✭
    BIN at $750. Reduce by $50 every month if the card doesn't sell. If it gets down to $600, and still hasn't sold yet, consign to PWCC.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭✭
    We're talking about a 75 mini in an 8.5

It's a $300-$400 card. Let's not get crazy. He's not Deans Cards.

BTW....that's a nice card and presents real well.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice, guys. Cakes, I don't dare crack and re-sub b/c PSA already erroneously said the card had evidence of trimming once before. I'm pretty much done subbing cards to them as it seems there's no consistency. It could easily come back an 8 or EOT.

I think the one risky thing about consigning is that you never what what the hammer price will be (as opposed to a BIN). I think Colletor At Work is on the right track: Maybe do a BIN at a high price (not quite that high) to see what happens and reduce a few times as needed.
    Daniel
  • Options
    I would post it in the Sports Cards and Memorabilia Forum in the PSA message boards to draw interest and hope that someone makes you an offer.

If someone calls you out about not posting in the correct forum simply explain that selling the card here had never even crossed your mind and that wasn't your intention. Some members might not side with you but a few surely will and you should achieve the end result.

That is a very nice copy but not as rare a card as some might think (at least compared to many other late 70s key cards), I would sell it for around $300 if you got that offer.

I will start the bidding at $225 if you were taking offers.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sell it for 5,000.00 Pesos

Thats a big number.

Just let it ride. The card will sell itself.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion the 8.5 grade is the kiss of death. I had a '71 Killebrew 8.5 and listed it several times at what I thought was a fair price (less than halfway between 8 and 9 pricing).

Finally did sell it as I needed the money, but not too happy about it.

Good luck!

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    gloves - I think most people here know I'm above board. If I wanted to sell the card on the PSA forums, I would use the BST board. It's how I roll.
    Daniel
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    I suggest selling it for $449.99.
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    Based on what Lee? :-P

Seriously though, if you are intent at going fishing, put it out there at a nutso BIN with a best offer option. It beats being nutso and letting it rot as you gradually lower it.

If not for the sale Lee had at the 449 bin, I would not believe that number possible for this card, and I have handled a LOT of mini Ryans over time.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    Paul - Would definitely mention that, plus it comes with free gum and wrappers.
    Daniel