Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Boy am I out of my league....Been on the internet and to the

AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
Library trying to figure out what I have and if they are real or fakes or whatever. So, if you
don't mind I'll post them here. If this is not the place to do it just let me know and I'll go away!
Thanks for any information, grade, value, etc.
bobimage
Coin #1 to me appears to be Galba Caesar, AD 68-69. Laureate and draped bust facing right. Reverse
Victory advancing right hold palm frond and wreath. 34mm, 25.48 grams, Rome mint, about the size of
a half dollar. Is this correct? Are there numbers associated with it? RIC, Sears? Learning but not yet there.
imageimage

Coin #2 I have no idea of emporer or ruler. It is 33.6mm and 28.70 grams. Reverse shows Roma seated
holding Victory in one hand and cornicopia in the other. Again half dollar sized.
imageimage

Coin #3 I think is Divus Lucius Verus, Rome mint, 31.44 max diameter, 25.25 grams. 169AD. Obverse
is barre head right facing. Reverse is eagle standing on globe with wings out, head left facing.
imageimage
Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Comments

• Options
    For the Galba Sestertius, I got RIC II 309 (RIC 355). That is, if the obverse legend reads IMP SER GALBA CAES AVG TR P.

My eyes just aren't working well enough today to read the legends on the other other two.

I believe the Lucius Verus is a RIC 1509.

• Options
    You are correct on the Galba, this is what it reads, thanks,

bobimage
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #2 DOMITIAN 81-96 AD. Æ Sestertius Struck 95-96 AD. IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM COS XVI CENS PER P P, laureate head right / IOVI VICTORI, S C in exergue, Jupiter seated left, holding Victory and sceptre. RIC II 412; BMCRE 474; Cohen 316.

#3Divus Marcus Aurelius. Died AD 180. Æ Sestertius. Rome mint. Struck under Commodus, AD 180. Bare head right / Eagle standing facing, head left, on globe. RIC 656 (Commodus); Banti 48.
  • Options

The second photo looks to be a Domitian Sestertius RIC 401.

IMP CAES DOMIT AVG GERM COS XVI CENS PER PP

IOVI - VICTORI

Nice coins by the way!

• Options

<< <i>The second photo looks to be a Domitian Sestertius RIC 401.

IOVI - VICTORI

Nice coins by the way!

image >>

Thanks for the help and have two others that I think I've identified and will post pics later. Not bad pick ups
    back in '68 for 40 Mark ($10 US)?

Also, question on cleaning or not. Do you attempt to remove the green reaction spots or leave? If you try
    to clean how do you go about it. (Or should I just leave well enough alone!).
    bobimage
  • Options

I think bronzemat is correct, the third coin's obv legend looks more like DIVVS ANTONINVS, Marcus Aurelius and not Lucius Verus.

From the pics I didn't see anything that jumped out as needing any immediate attention. I would leave them alone until you are sure if there is any damage being done.

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The second photo looks to be a Domitian Sestertius RIC 401.

IOVI - VICTORI

Nice coins by the way!

image >>

Thanks for the help and have two others that I think I've identified and will post pics later. Not bad pick ups
    back in '68 for 40 Mark ($10 US)?

Also, question on cleaning or not. Do you attempt to remove the green reaction spots or leave? If you try
    to clean how do you go about it. (Or should I just leave well enough alone!).
    bobimage >>

Is the green powdery and some off when lightly rubbed with your fingers? If so its bronze disease. If its hard and doesnt budge then its more then likely patina. There is spotty patina that develops.
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Is it the case that the green patina that is hardened is the same as the powdery substance except that it has become part of the coin? Would it not be the same chemical reaction only older? image
  • Options
    Here are two more that I think I have a handle on but would appreciate the RIC number please:

#4 Janus double headed obverse with ships prow reverse, 200BC, 24.87grams and 30.2mm max diameter
    imageimage

#5 Syracuse, Sicily, dionyses, 405-367 BC, bronze drachm, 33.84grams, 31.2mm max diameter.
    imageimage
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>... Not bad pick ups back in '68 ... >>

Bob, what prompted revisiting these? Going through some old boxes? image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>... Not bad pick ups back in '68 ... >>

Bob, what prompted revisiting these? Going through some old boxes? image >>

Yes, they were just in a yellow envelope that I forgot about, in a Dutch Master's cigar box. Dropped the
    box off a shelf while cleaning the closet and the box broke and the envelope fell out. Picked them up
    in Germany back in '68...Nuremberg I believe. Have two little silver Romans in there that I have not
    looked at yet and a bunch of corroded Romans as well.

Do any of these have any value? Do I need to get NGC into the game?

bobimage

Edited: found my old dog tags, military medals, DD214 (wondered where that was for years) and a bunch of
    little stuff my my childhood (toy pistol, my old zippo, etc).
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Wow, awesome! What a great way to enjoy the weekend!!!

I wish cleaning my closet were that much fun image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    I love the wear on Galba's portrait! His name was preserved so well. It looks like it was in a soft cloth for a long trip or maybe in a stream>>?

• Options
    Well, since we're talking $1500+ retail here for the five coins posted if genuine, you should get the coins authenticated. A first step could be to go to this site http://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.phpForum Ancient Coins and post some better photos (one coin per thread).

Good luck!

Auto
    A grade is an inadequate report of an inaccurate judgement by a biased and variable judge of the extent to which a coin corresponds to an undefinable level of an unattainable state of preservation. - Never tell me that grading is science.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I love the wear on Galba's portrait! His name was preserved so well. It looks like it was in a soft cloth for a long trip or maybe in a stream>>? >>

Ditto.

No, that wasn't in a stream, or it would look nasty.

But I too like the look of the obverse of that coin, the way it's worn, and the nice clear name.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.