Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Certifying 6 step nickels

I've got a few really nice 6 steppers that I would like to certify. Since PCGS makes no notation of the 6 steps on the slab, would I be better off having ANACS or SEGS slab these coins with the 6 steps noted. If I do decide to go with PCGS (and probably will) can I expect any premium for a 6 step coin even though it's just slabbed "FS". I've been holding off with these coins hoping they (PCGS) would start noting 6 steps, but looks like they aren't going to. It's time to decide.

Thanks.
Bruggs

Comments

• Options
    Whoever you decide, I would think you would definitely get a nicer sell price when you decide to if you do so at a large show where there are interested Jefferson collectors who know the value and scarcity of full 6 step coins or to registry collectors. Your not going to get much of a premium outside selling to a modern dealer who knows their stuff or one of the other venues previously said IMO.
  • Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't hink you should hold off and expect a premium for 6 steps over 5 anytime soon. The accepted market for FS coins right now is 5. For the rarer dates in FS, I'd pay a premium for the FS designation for the 5 steps, but not much more for 6. Why? That's what the market is paying and I don't expect it to change anytime soon. That's how they were collected 3o years ago. Beyond that, demand is too thin to expect much more. Some of those "thin" guys are on the boards, perhaps they will disagree.
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    I think you would get more for the coins in PCGS FS holders vs ANACS 6-Step, as
    the general perception would be that trying to cross them to PCGS at the ANACS
    assigned grade would be iffy.

On the other hand, one of my favorite Jeffersons is a superbly toned coin in an
    ANACS MS67 holder, and I paid double what an untoned PCGS coin would have
    sold for in the same grade. So the right coin can sell itself regardless of which
    slab it is in.

If you really can't decide, you can make it easy on yourself and just sell'em to
    me as BU Jeffs! image

Ken
  • Options
    It depends on the dates. What I mean is these 6 step nickels 1971 to- 2000 then this quit common no big deal
    If they are older will maybe, 1941-d very common,40-d also common 39-p,43-d,44-d,45-d,46-d,47-d,48-d,50-d also very common
    If not one of those dates then submit to pcgs as they will get the fs designation and then the grade commands the price
    64fs,65fs,66fs,67fs
    LOOKING FOR FULL STEP JEFFERSON NICKELS PCGS OR NGC
  • Options
    Some Jeffersons are rare in full steps and command a premium in high grades. Other full step Jeffersons are rare in 6 steps and may or may not command a premium in this 5 step market.

Savy Jefferson collectors should look at this as a buying opportunity for the rare 6 step coins.

Frank
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My definition of a 6-step nickel:

Step 1: shop around for a nice Shield nickel.
    Step 2: find a beautiful target-toned MS piece or a cameo proof.
    Step 3: bid.
    Step 4: win the auction, hopefully.
    Step 5: pay for the coin.
    Step 6: enjoy.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.