Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Probstein's stuff goes way too cheap.

I just looked the Hockey autograph PSA slabbed rookies that Probstein sold and frankly I want to cry at the prices he got. Most of the stuff sold for 40% what they would be worth on a bad day. Plus he sold a Namath 1965 Topps Autograph Rookie slabbed for $835 . You can't even buy the raw 1965 Topps Namath card in that condition for $835 . I would be livid if I got these prices. That is why people like khw buy from probstein and resell them at more than twice as much. I'm also ticked that I missed the Hockey rookie sale . Most of them were steals.
This Namath shouldn't get less than $1,500 .

Comments

• Mdube16Mdube16 Posts: 744 ✭✭
    I dont know why the people who are consigning the cards to him just to bid themselves to get the prices up.

But in all seriousness....the Namath is in a red flip and graded "authentic" which means likely the card itself is altered in some way. That explains the price.
  • I'm just ticked that I missed the Hockey rookies. Shanahan's 88 OPC Rookie for $42.00 . The people that consign the cards have to be disappointed .
  • addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just looked the Hockey autograph PSA slabbed rookies that Probstein sold and frankly I want to cry at the prices he got. Most of the stuff sold for 40% what they would be worth on a bad day. Plus he sold a Namath 1965 Topps Autograph Rookie slabbed for $835 . You can't even buy the raw 1965 Topps Namath card in that condition for $835 . I would be livid if I got these prices. That is why people like khw buy from at resell them at more than twice as much. I'm also ticked that missed the Hockey rookie sale . Most of them were steals.
    This Namath shouldn't get less than $1,500 . >>

Looking at VCP the highest a Auto Namath has ever sold for is $1,000 and the last one went for $610.
  • Look at the fixed prices of Autograph Namath 1965Topps rookies
  • When khw is buying from you, your stuff is selling way too cheap .
  • CWCW Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭
    How is this the seller's fault?

When his stuff sells for too much, he gets criticized for either encouraging shilling or shilling himself. Now, when his stuff sells for what is apparently too cheap, he get criticized for.... ? What was he to do? We know Probstein's auctions get the views.

Perhaps you have two down hobby markets converging -- hockey, which may be down a bit due to the strike and shortened season (and, let's face it, hockey wasn't the most popular sport in North American to begin with), and autographs, which may be down due to increased doubts about authentication. Hockey + autographs = not a lot of demand/low prices.

Just a guess. I could be wrong. Sometimes hobby markets change, and, before you know it, what seems like a low price actually ends up being the new market value.

• VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    I bid on a lot of them and won the Dave Keon RC
  • The Keon is a nice. I have his rookie and 1971 signed. The were some real steals in those auctions. Probstein definitely doesn't manipulate his auctions. Would have liked that Shanahan 88 OPC especially at $42
    The Henri Richard rookie was the true steal. The unsigned card goes for $400. I sniped at $280 because I'm broke and was the underbidder.
  • Autos4AlexAutos4Alex Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    I won the Richard but don't know if it was that much of a steal.

According to sportscollectors.net he signs the cards pretty regularly for free. The card presents really well but has a crease in it. It looks like the past couple of 2's that sold were in a similar price range:
    Completed Auction 1

Completed Auction 2

The Mikita also presents really well, but it looked like there was a small crease on the right side of the card just over mid way up. If so I'm not sure what VCP is on that card, but it looks like a nice 5 sold recently for $237 from PWCC

I was definitely happy to have won 35 of the items, but I thought most of my better deals came on the cards I won in the 20-40 range not the $100+ cards. I've been doing TTM on a lot of these guys and have recently gotten back several of these like Lafleur, Dionne, Pronger, Boivin, etc. I think the price of the cards + shipping all over the place + grading fee's were less than these cards sold for.
  • Autos4AlexAutos4Alex Posts: 442 ✭✭✭
    How do you think such a large number of listings at once affected the prices? I know I would have bid more on some of the auctions but was stretched a little thin budget wise because so many auctions of interest were ending at once. I felt like if 20ish cards were auctioned each week the prices might have been higher. I know more eyes keep the prices high, but I think with 20 cards in the same category at once up for auction you'd have plenty of people take notice.
    I agree Alex. If they did 10 HOF rookies/week, I would have had more money and big higher. As it was, I had to spread my bids too thin and didn't have enough money. Frankly I think I paid too much for the Keon. There's paper loss on the back. But he stopped signing TTM and I was resigned to paying it. You got a good price on Richard. It presents far better than that 2 that sold recently (which I almost bought).
  • bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Agreed Alex. You should NOT have auctions ending all at the same time, down to the second. They should be spaced out so people can shift money around if one gets too rich for their blood.
  • ExodusExodus Posts: 348 ✭✭✭
    Agreed with the points above, with an emphasis on you have to put nice autos on higher grade cards to get better prices.
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭
    The auction format provides liquidity to sellers. When you start an auction at .99, the card IS going to sell. You know what day it will sell and when you will get paid. These are distinct advantages that will never be gained from a BIN format. You never know a seller's situation, but they may need cash now for some other purpose and don't want to fool with all the negative aspects of BIN auctions. The tradeoff is that sometimes cards sell for cheap.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Namath was in horrible condition..multiple crease
  • goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭
    I thought the Namath was right in line with past sales,but what do I knowimage<looking at
    fixed price Namaths means nothing,just something for window shoppers to check out.

EDIT_ If the OP is interested in a Namath signed RC. at $1500,PLEASE pm me,I have one for ya,also
    any chance some of these were your cards?
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • hockeycrazyhockeycrazy Posts: 309 ✭✭
    I was watching the hockey autos and I have to say, for the most part, I thought they all sold for MORE than what they were worth. I had a keen interest in several of them but I could not see the value in paying those inflated prices.
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    The Namath went for more than I expected. The major crease was a major turn-off.

Not all auto'd card are the same, especially when the singers are still alive. But then again, I've paid some prices for some of my needs that others might think silly -- not that there's anything wrong with that.
  • initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭
    I bid on quite a few of these early, but auctions ending during the week get overlooked

If they were ending today, I'd assess where they were and set a bunch of snipes

Too bad I missed out and too bad for the consignor, there were some good deals here
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    if anyone wants this one for $1200, give me a shout

1965 Topps Joe Namath

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • I saw this Probstein sale

1980 GAI Graded Wax Box

I am surprised this box only went for $451, being that it was graded as authentic and sold by Probstein sell less than some recent 1980 wax boxes. Why do you suppose that is?
  • 3BoyzTrading3BoyzTrading Posts: 798 ✭✭
    I'm sure that $450 is about what the 80 Topps wax boxes go for. Please correct me if I'm wrong. GAI doesn't have a great reputation but that's typically with grades of older stuff.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I saw this Probstein sale

1980 GAI Graded Wax Box

I am surprised this box only went for $451, being that it was graded as authentic and sold by Probstein sell less than some recent 1980 wax boxes. Why do you suppose that is? >>

Less confidence in the newer GAI flip is my guess. But $475 dlvd for a 1980 wax box is still a strong price, imo, considering these went for about $250 a year ago, and were just recently priced at $360 on the BBCE site a few months ago.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    i think it has become fairly well accepted that rick's hockey cards often sell low. i am not referring to the real high-end cards or the low pop cards, but the more mainstream stuff. bargains can be had. it simply must have to do with the fact that he requires us canadian bidders to pre-register and then we must pony up for registered mail postage, which is not inexpensive.

eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Volume sellers like Rick have to move their inventory. They can't just sit on it and wait for VCP+ like others do.

This means that many times people will miss his auctions, especially for fringe collectibles with a small collector base, and items will realize record low prices ... this also means that when he does list an item people know it will sell ... so if they want it they need to bid and if it's a popular piece they need to bid strong. That's one of the reasons why you'll see record high prices realized from Rick.

Basically it's how auctions work in the collectibles market where you have items with pricing that can range from consistent to roller-coaster.

As for specific items, prices realized vary for similar graded items based on the specific values of that item itself and not just the grade ... while grades usually provide for a gravitational point for bids, many other factors can pull the price in either direction.

Rick needs to move his items, if one wants a guaranteed price minimum then one needs to list an item themselves and not care about when it sells and have storage solutions to accommodate such a strategy. >>

I vehemently disagree with your credibility in the hobby.
  • cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Volume sellers like Rick have to move their inventory. They can't just sit on it and wait for VCP+ like others do.

This means that many times people will miss his auctions, especially for fringe collectibles with a small collector base, and items will realize record low prices ... this also means that when he does list an item people know it will sell ... so if they want it they need to bid and if it's a popular piece they need to bid strong. That's one of the reasons why you'll see record high prices realized from Rick.

Basically it's how auctions work in the collectibles market where you have items with pricing that can range from consistent to roller-coaster.

As for specific items, prices realized vary for similar graded items based on the specific values of that item itself and not just the grade ... while grades usually provide for a gravitational point for bids, many other factors can pull the price in either direction.

Rick needs to move his items, if one wants a guaranteed price minimum then one needs to list an item themselves and not care about when it sells and have storage solutions to accommodate such a strategy. >>

I vehemently disagree with your credibility in the hobby. >>

+100000. LMFAO.......It's funny to watch him act like an authority on anything. Unless you are talking about how you properly save empty boxes, wrappers and gum so they can be re-sealed by an un-ethical person to sell to an un-suspecting buyer who doesn't know any better. That's all.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524

<< <i>i think it has become fairly well accepted that rick's hockey cards often sell low. i am not referring to the real high-end cards or the low pop cards, but the more mainstream stuff. bargains can be had. it simply must have to do with the fact that he requires us canadian bidders to pre-register and then we must pony up for registered mail postage, which is not inexpensive.

eyebone >>

For the hockey cards in question, this is easily the single best explanation.
  • goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I vehemently disagree with your credibility in the hobby. >>

Me 2!
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • BrickBrick Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You win some. You lose some. Unless of course you're Charlie Brown.
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• ExodusExodus Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You win some. You lose some. Unless of course you're Charlie Brown. >>

or the Chicago Cubs
  • If your consigning Hockey you're better off going through PWCC

Probstein has eliminated at least 80 - 90% of North of the Border bidders who normally would bid on the hockey. The email to get approval message ~ has turned a lot of people off. That's why his hockey sells for less.
    Smart buyers would buy up the Hockey then open it up internationally for easy profit.
  • MapleleafMapleleaf Posts: 506

<< <i>If your consigning Hockey you're better off going through PWCC

Probstein has eliminated at least 80 - 90% of North of the Border bidders who normally would bid on the hockey. The email to get approval message ~ has turned a lot of people off. That's why his hockey sells for less.
    Smart buyers would buy up the Hockey then open it up internationally for easy profit. >>

The email to get approval was easy It's the shipping thing that is the biggest reason I don't bid on a lot of his cards. I won a $25 card with a $20 bid but shipping costs were $23 because everything has to be registered. With PWCC, they will ship low value items for around $8. Is it registered? No but who cares on a card worth less than $25.
  • churchiscoolchurchiscool Posts: 532 ✭✭
    getting into the discussion late, but i don't think most of the hockey signed rcs sold for cheap at all. some were probably low, but others were high or right on, i won 2 cards and was underbidder on 4 others. not sure about the older stuff but most of the guys you can get through signings or consignments for less. all ending at the same time forced me to upgrade the snipe service.

i would've bidded alot higher on the francis if it was sharpie and the fedorov if i'm wasn't involved in a signing already, otherwise no regret. weird discrepancy between ending prices of the 2 brodeur, and the fake selanne went for more than the real one.
  • corncobbcorncobb Posts: 516

<< <i>

<< <i>Here is more proof probstein selling stuff way too cheap . Look at this George Armstrong card

Probstein sold it for $20.01
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-Parkhurst-Missing-Link-125-George-Armstrong-HOF-Signed-AUTO-SGC-COA-/360610851387?pt=US_Autographed_Trading_Cards&amp;hash=item53f614ea3b&amp;nma=true&amp;si=i2AEhSlzoQKWeRkS01rKouEDJc0%3D&amp;orig_cvip=true&amp;rt=nc&amp;_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Piggyman2377 resold it for $100. about 5 weeks later
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/George-Armstrong-Signed-1994-Parkhurst-Missing-Link-Card-125-SGC-Authenticated-/321091679561?pt=US_Autographed_Trading_Cards&hash=item4ac28e3549 >>

That's the downside of the auction format vs BIN ... the upside can be records highs and a quicker sale though. >>

Just wondering if you wanted to buy the 78, 79 wax boxes I just won on ebay.
    Not sure if they are "resealed packs" thought you might be able to help in spotting the fakes.
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    I used Rick's service a couple of times recently. Some items did sell lower than expectations. I also had some items that sold well beyond my expectations. There were two examples of cards that I purchased within six months of selling, that I paid under $25 and they sold for over $100. Most of the cards I sold were purchased in the last five years and 90% of them sold for between 10% and 20% more than I paid. Rick sells thousands of items every week. You can always go through and pick out a few that didn't do well.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • corncobbcorncobb Posts: 516
    Its Hockey Man! Come on!

I usually avoid Probenstein just for the fact Im not willing to pay the Premium it cost to buy from him.
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    The items that went way too cheap - I bought them.

Thank you. image

Seriously, I do often go through all of his auctions ending the next day looking for bargains, and bid on dozens to hundreds of items, though it's not like I get in on everything. I think my record was around 130 wins in 1 day, most of which were oddball hockey (Dads Cookies, 65 CocaCola, etc.).

Good stuff going far under market is a classic arbitrage opportunity. You just have to be willing to ship to Canada.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.