Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I'm in love with Jordan inserts...

A few years ago, when I got back into collecting i was buying modern cards probably because thats more my era and the players I'm most familiar with. After a while, I changed my collecting goals to vintage but would always get distracted by jordan cards, mainly BGS 9.5's. Now every time I search eBay, I see previously viewed Jordan cards and start looking up all these different Bgs graded inserts of mj.
From time to time I do buy Jordan cards but I try to stay very focused on my vintage want list but it's getting more and more difficult. I just love the look of many of the cards especially from card manufacturers like, skybox premium, Ultra, and flair.

I guess I'm typing all this because in a way I feel kinda guilty that I'm not more focused on vintage and I just wanted to get it off my chest. I think I'll continue to build my vintage collection as well as my Jordan collection, after all were supposed to collect what we like!

Is anyone in a similar situation?

Comments

• Im a Football guy and collect mainly 60's and 70's Football, but I have a similar situation with Emmitt Smith Cards.

A few of my Favorites
    imageimage

A few Killer Michael Jordans I have to offer.

Very Tough card $50

imageimage

• Got back into collecting a few years ago like yourself with the goal of collecting Post-War HOF Rookies. I remember ripping packs of 90-93 Hoops, Fleer, Stadium Club hoping for MJ's when I was kid and I started to look up all the inserts on eBay from back in the day. I was immediately sucked in, and I developed a huge MJ card addiction. I got off track on my HOF collecting for almost a year, and picked up a ton of PSA Jordan inserts. I was lucky enough to start around late 2010 before they really "blew up" in price. Those cards are some of the greatest inserts ever made, and I love looking at them. Share some pics!
    Greatly overpaying for a 2000 Fleer Showcase Tom Brady PSA 10
  • MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭
    I know these message boards are filled primarily with vintage collectors, but it's nice to see a few Jordan collectors in the mix!
  • MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    I like many am primarily a baseball Post-War HOF RC collector, in some cases 2nd year issues as well. But I make a major exception for Jordan. His unparalleled competitive spirit and achievement always appealed to me. I am not much into the inserts though I know they command huge money in high grade especially. I love his Star 84-85 issues, the Fleer RC, and especially now his Merchante 1985 issue, the rarest of all early Jordans with only 12 total pop. Jordan cards never clash with any collection!
  • elsnortoelsnorto Posts: 2,013
    Nothing wrong with that.

My collecting passion is pre-1960 football, but I also collect some select sets/insert sets from the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s (lots of awesome inserts!), 2000s, and right up to the 2010s.

I collect most of my vintage sets in mid-grade and just about everything from 1960 on in raw, I have managed to avoid the Registry bug and make my collecting budget go farther as a result, allowing me to collect a lot of different things I like.

Snorto~
  • my favorite 90's MJ insert -

(not my card, I'm looking for a BGS 9.5)

• handymanhandyman Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are a thing of beauty. Jordan saved BK and I hope he keeps it alive. You cant go wrong with jordan stuff.
  • mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Funny you guys bring up a Jordan insert discussion. Over the past two months I have bought a massive Jordan insert collection, adding to the ones I already had.

If I ever get around to it, I might scan them. One card I did find was a 97-98 Topps "Top 40" insert with no name on front. I checked ebay, COMC and googled it and couldnt find any info on it it being a rarity or if it was just an omission on a few runs. Any info would be great on it.

I'm still actually going through all the cards, but have found multiple inserts that book over $100 and dozens over $40-$50. Lots of lower dollar regular issue cards and inserts and subsets, but for the most part, I have found over 100 cards that book for $10-$20.

Some of the best are the complete set of 92-93 Fleer team Leaders, Skybox Intense, Skybox Natural Born Thrillers, Ultra Scoring Leaders, Most of the Total "O" and Total "D" through the years, a finest gold parallel, beam Team inserts from multiple years, Scoring Kings.

was originally going to see what the lot looked like and decide whether to sell it as a lot or individually, but after looking at them, am giving serious consideration to only selling the dupes. I paid a thousand for the lot, which included sets of Finest from 1994-1998 and some other odds and ends. My wife wants me to sell it since I paid for it out of next years vacation fund (oops!), but its going to be hard selling them if I do.

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭
    Those SGC holders look great with the black against the bright white borders.

I can never find those 92 fleer rack packs. Do they exist? image

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06

• << <i>Those SGC holders look great with the black against the bright white borders.

I can never find those 92 fleer rack packs. Do they exist? image >>

It's been awhile since I've seen them, but I do remember a 3 box case going for a good chunk of change back in early 2011
    Greatly overpaying for a 2000 Fleer Showcase Tom Brady PSA 10
  • robert67robert67 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
  • MJ inserts are a hot market but there are some slept on gems that are still affordable. I absolutely love that Team Leader along with the Total D and All Star inserts from 92-93 Fleer. The 93-94 Scoring Kings is another stunning insert.

So much of the heat has fallen on the Precious Metal Gems and other serial numbered cards as well as the billion post retirement auto, patch, exquisite 1/1 refractor relics things that some of the true condition sensitive older inserts can be had at reasonable prices. Just nabbed a Team Leader in BGS 9 with 9.5 centering for $118 a few months back.
  • burke23burke23 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

<< <i>MJ inserts are a hot market but there are some slept on gems that are still affordable. I absolutely love that Team Leader along with the Total D and All Star inserts from 92-93 Fleer. The 93-94 Scoring Kings is another stunning insert.

So much of the heat has fallen on the Precious Metal Gems and other serial numbered cards as well as the billion post retirement auto, patch, exquisite 1/1 refractor relics things that some of the true condition sensitive older inserts can be had at reasonable prices. Just nabbed a Team Leader in BGS 9 with 9.5 centering for $118 a few months back. >>

Amen to the '92 Fleer (especially All Stars for me). Slowly working on a psa 9/ 10 set of those. No one else subs them so it is slow going - it is crap-wax to break.
    Looking for rare Randy Moss rookies and autos, as well as '97 PMG Red Football cards for my set.
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭
    As a kid the fleer team leader was an awesome and tough pull. Still seems to be tough even now.